Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 05:50:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs✿ Homegrove: like (Mario+Kirby)/(Metroid*Zelda)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: ✿ Homegrove: like (Mario+Kirby)/(Metroid*Zelda)  (Read 33521 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 02:45:52 AM »

Nice. It's a bit weird looking to me though, because the colours are still "daylight" colours.
Chaoseiro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 01:04:55 PM »

Hey, your project is looking really nice!
I think that maybe there should be more differentiation between the sprites for the main character, maybe an added symbol or some kind of accessory, to make it easier to know what's the current 'equipped' power. (colours only might not work well for people with colour-blindness Smiley )

Making Games Like A Sir!
X-UniTMX, a Tiled TMX Importer for Unity3D
X-UniTMX Forum
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »

This looks like a really cute platformer! Good luck with the development! Smiley

Also, I agree with the two comments above mine. Would be neat if you could change/implement that somehow.
dlarocque91
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 03:45:59 PM »

Nice mechanics and especially their effects. Is the character going to look more like a roundish kirby or more of a sharp-edgy type like link?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 05:48:09 AM »

It's named homegrove after the little shire type area they live in and defend (Just haven't made it yet) =)

Ah, I meant the name of the bird, "Kazu-kazu". It's just an interesting name. Does it mean anything? But yeah, Homegrove is also a nice, unique-sounding name.

The thunder effect looks really cool. I think the lightning could be set to render above the dark surface to make it bright, and the enemy could be rendered above the dark surface when the lightning hits to make it light up. Just a couple of things I'm sure you'll get around to - looks great so far.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »

Nice. It's a bit weird looking to me though, because the colours are still "daylight" colours.

I made a day/night cycle that changes the RGB of the layers seperately, and the background color, and a gradient, and the transparency of a layer of stars. =) The veil of darkness I might only use for caves and other 'in-doors' areas.

(Imgur really messed with the quality of this gif)

Hey, your project is looking really nice!
I think that maybe there should be more differentiation between the sprites for the main character, maybe an added symbol or some kind of accessory, to make it easier to know what's the current 'equipped' power. (colours only might not work well for people with colour-blindness Smiley )

Made a circular menu for the colors, I'll be adding more of an effect when he changes color later at some point. So hopefully the symbols help with the color-impaired. I'll put the symbol of the current color in the corner of the screen to help. =)

Nice mechanics and especially their effects. Is the character going to look more like a roundish kirby or more of a sharp-edgy type like link?

I guess he's a rounded-edge type. =)

It's named homegrove after the little shire type area they live in and defend (Just haven't made it yet) =)

Ah, I meant the name of the bird, "Kazu-kazu". It's just an interesting name. Does it mean anything? But yeah, Homegrove is also a nice, unique-sounding name.

The thunder effect looks really cool. I think the lightning could be set to render above the dark surface to make it bright, and the enemy could be rendered above the dark surface when the lightning hits to make it light up. Just a couple of things I'm sure you'll get around to - looks great so far.

I just thought it was a good name for a bird species, but apparently 'kazu' means 'leg' in some kind of islander language. Lucky coincidence =D

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 10:34:29 AM »

The level of dedication you put into the bbcode of the first post is truly inspiring.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 11:03:05 AM »

This looks great! What's the level progression going to be like? Are you going for something fairly linear / planned or leaving it a little more open for the player to push the boundaries and sequence break? The different powers seem like they'd be perfect for nonlinear exploration.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »

This looks great! What's the level progression going to be like? Are you going for something fairly linear / planned or leaving it a little more open for the player to push the boundaries and sequence break? The different powers seem like they'd be perfect for nonlinear exploration.

That is exactly what i'm going for sir! Had to quote this right away to make that clear. Non-linear (though not always avoidable in a sidescroller) exploration! Hence the metroid/zelda reference in the title =)

To make backtracking less of a pain there will be warp points, and I believe self-placed save points ( as an item ).

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 01:11:40 PM »

That new day/night cycle is superb! Hand Thumbs Up Left

EDIT: even with IMGur recompression madness
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:13:32 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »

Looks nice, following!

Are you on Twitter? And are you doing your own art?

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 11:14:03 AM »

Looks nice, following!

Are you on Twitter? And are you doing your own art?

Yeah! My twitter name is "flipswitchd", Wow, can't believe that wasn't in the original post... v_v

Aaaand here's a gif of somethin' weird:

Also yes i'm the sole artist and designer of homegrove at this time! Smiley

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2015, 11:15:42 AM »

That is exactly what i'm going for sir! Had to quote this right away to make that clear. Non-linear (though not always avoidable in a sidescroller) exploration! Hence the metroid/zelda reference in the title =)

Sold! Just followed you on Twitter, this project looks great. Haven't played a platformer like this in years.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 07:32:11 AM »

I'm a bit late to this, but heck yes ring menus

mKonyi
Level 0

Composer!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »

Wow! This is looking excellent  Smiley I really like it.

Upgrade to open intelligence.
El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 05:19:06 AM »

Pretty nice and colourful, subscribe.
Btw, twitter link is not working.

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 10:58:10 PM »

Exciting progress ya'll: WORDS.

Also some new set pieces in there. I also uploaded a gif of the shuriken item to the first post.

Should I make new posts for these gifs or just put every gif on the main post? \(  '-')/ I don't want to overload the first page so I guess i'll do new posts...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:12:01 PM by flipswitchx » Logged

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2015, 12:28:28 AM »

Nice to see someone fighting against canid stereotypes.

Oh, and I love the look of this too.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »

This update sort of lacks... sound...  \( '-')/

..more soon.

lambaum
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 09:14:59 PM »

cOOL, like the art style  Cheesy