Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 12:49:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 679237 times)
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2009, 03:40:23 AM »

Tempting... It lists DOS as a supported OS, and the Dos unit even supports interrupts!

Code:
  Regs.AX := MCGAMode;
  Intr(VideoInt, Regs);  {put video into mcga 320*200*256 mode}

I'm getting closer with the TP6 version though - got the gameflow working by skipping some of the sprite loads, and fixed some more memory leaks.
Wishfallen
Level 0

Flat-based!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2009, 11:48:58 AM »

Been selectively following some tutorials on making an XNA-based engine, and for some reason, I'm having a blast doing it Smiley Almost got my GameScreen & Component system down, then its Actors, Physics and other such fun.  Grin

Signature nullified!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2009, 11:52:15 AM »

If you would be able to link to those tutorials I would be a happy man.

waruwaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »

It's quite tricky to debug since with the IDE running there isn't enough heap to run the game Huh? Still, it was vintage bugfixing fun Smiley

Maybe you can try to install TP in a VM using the free VMware player.  Here is a FreeDOS vm appliance to start you off: http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/378

Good luck!
Wishfallen
Level 0

Flat-based!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »

If you would be able to link to those tutorials I would be a happy man.

http://innovativegames.net/blog/xna-game-engine-tutorial-series/

Enjoy Smiley

Signature nullified!
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »

I'm a very happy programmer right now. Smiley
I've begun my transition from MMF2 to Flash and so far I havent had much actual progress, but I've been reading up on different functions I know I'll need and hacking away at some tutorials.

All I need now is a printed reference of AS3 (my internet connection is slow Sad )

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2009, 01:17:54 AM »

You can download a zip of the Flex AS3 reference from somewhere on their website.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2009, 07:52:03 AM »

You can download a zip of the Flex AS3 reference from somewhere on their website.
Link for the Flex AS3 website?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
increpare
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2009, 08:23:29 AM »

I'm reasonably happy at the moment; was fiddling about with OpenGL trying to get the camera to display SOMETHING, as one inevitably does at the start of every 3d project...should be plain sailing from here, heh.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2009, 10:38:39 AM »

Link for the Flex AS3 website?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/
The 6MB zip download link serves one nicely.

Stephen: I know exactly what you're talking about. Oh, the relief of finally seeing a white (or textured, as it were) triangle on black background...
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2009, 12:35:37 PM »

trying to get the camera to display SOMETHING, as one inevitably does at the start of every 3d project...

I think that "time to first triangle" is an important development metric, much like "seconds to crate" is for FPS quality Smiley

I remember doing an integration at a client site wrestling their camera spec into our camera spec so we could render their view. Nothing visible at all until after a day or so we turned the monitor brightness up and saw a black triangle right in the middle of a very dark blue background!
increpare
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2009, 12:47:30 PM »

I remember doing an integration at a client site wrestling their camera spec into our camera spec so we could render their view. Nothing visible at all until after a day or so we turned the monitor brightness up and saw a black triangle right in the middle of a very dark blue background!
hah hah hah hah hah
Greg
Level 0

has a compass, lost my map

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2009, 12:43:34 AM »

I just took a few days to add ogg-vorbis integration to my sound mixer code and it works!  And then I fixed this acky interpolation issue by accident by learning the Windows call to enable VSYNC: wglSwapIntervalEXT(1).  Finally things are starting to shape up. so what, my game might be stuck rendering at 60 fps, it looks hella better than it did before, and it's only 2D anyway.

It's interesting to read the fervor over Lua a while back. I compiled some Lua examples today as well, and I guess I am wondering where you all think the advantages lay, (when you're dealing with a C++/opengl style engine)?  For instance, why not write enemy AI in straight C instead of Lua?  Is the advantage merely because you can configure multiple enemies in a loadable environment instead of having to re-compile or is it something more profound?

A day for firm decisions!!! Or is it?
increpare
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2009, 03:17:01 AM »

It's interesting to read the fervor over Lua a while back. I compiled some Lua examples today as well, and I guess I am wondering where you all think the advantages lay, (when you're dealing with a C++/opengl style engine)?  For instance, why not write enemy AI in straight C instead of Lua? 
The support for coroutines is pretty nice, for one.  Boost has a coroutine library as well, but, well, it's not exactly straight-forward to use.

Is the advantage merely because you can configure multiple enemies in a loadable environment instead of having to re-compile or is it something more profound?
Don't underestimate the importance of this!
increpare
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »

hurrah, fixed a quirky gui bug that was annoying me.  however, i'm not sure I have everything covered; still more bugs might pop up at some point (the code has passed a certain complexity threshold; I doubt I'll ever have a proper comprehension of it, but thankfully I seem to be able to navigate through it without too many problems...).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:03:54 PM by stephen lavelle » Logged
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2009, 02:12:15 PM »

On Sunday I decided to learn Python. I have no coding experience save rudimentary HTML.

Hello World: check.
Everything Else: not so much.

But I think I'm happy!
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »

I'm happy because this thread is growing at a much faster rate then the grumpy version.
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2009, 08:55:17 PM »

I'm happy

i'm happy you're happy  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right
Wishfallen
Level 0

Flat-based!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2009, 02:23:35 AM »

Decided I'd try and make an engine without using tutorials, see how far I get. Worked out a vague plan  Grin Now to expand upon it....

Signature nullified!
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2009, 07:32:43 AM »

Decided I'd try and make an engine without using tutorials, see how far I get. Worked out a vague plan  Grin Now to expand upon it....
I'm doing basically the same thing with ASCIIPortal right now. Not because I don't want a tutorial, but because one basically doesn't exist.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic