Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 01:53:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSteamlands [Nitrome Steampunk RTS]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Steamlands [Nitrome Steampunk RTS]  (Read 24933 times)
Lode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »

Cool, thanks for letting me know about the function of the space key, it does that indeed. That improves the situation a bit Smiley

I'm really enjoying this game by the way, don't take me wrong!
aekeren
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »

The idea of an endless mode is pretty awesome.  I didn't expect it though.  Nitrome games, to me, have always been a short series of attractive, well designed puzzles.  Steamlands does not disappoint.   Smiley
st33d
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2011, 03:41:26 PM »

My boss was toying with the idea of possibly expanding the game and then selling it, much in the manner that Machinarium and VVVVVV were sold yet still written in Flash.

I'd need to find out what figures those other games sold to justify peeing more money up the wall for me to happily toil away at this engine again.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »

Yay! It's released!
Going to play it now, i'll report back shortly.

I've just got to the map screen, and i'm happy it's different to other Nitrome games.

Random thoughts while playing:

- I really like the presentation of the tutorial videos, however seeing as there are so many i think it would be better if the player had a tutorial to play rather than watch.

- I love the towns! Infact i really like the artwork in general, as with any Nitrome game.

- I was hoping there would be some sort of visual upgrade to your engine room when you upgrade it's HP.

- I just realised my tank isn't saved between levels. Sad
(I think this would add a more tactical level to the game, as i'd be trying to save the enemies turrets, so that i could use them on my own tank, rather than just destroy them.)

- There are robots and gears and things under the ground! :D

- I'm not fully sure what the awards are for, i'm guessing they are just based on how well you did in that level. Kind of like a rank for that level.

- The voices are great haha.

- Considering the tank isn't saved between levels, i don't understand why there are shops. Why can i buy an upgrade to my health if it doesn't stay there permanently?
(Or does "Bronze Health" mean that all bronze blocks i equip have more HP?)

- I don't really understand how to save blocks from the enemy. I don't destroy them in combat, but then i dont recieve them after.

I'm off to bed now, i'll update this tomorrow with more thoughts etc.

So far i'm enjoying it! It's unlike anything i've played before, which is good!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:37:10 PM by Nugsy » Logged

Ntero
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 05:15:10 PM »

TypeError: Error #1010: A term is undefined and has no properties.
   at com.nitrome.engine::PlayerTank/selectBlocks()
   at com.nitrome.ui::MouseControl/main()
   at Game/main()

This occurs when I try to Box Select and get near the Tank with the Box.
It throws this error the first time, and just freezes the game afterwards everytime I try.
I'm on Flash 11 Incubator (I wanted to try out some of the Molehill demos).

The first couple levels seem kinda neat, but I can't get very far without any sort of multi select.
Lode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »

Oh yeah another suggestion! I think the magnet functionality was added for convenience, but in fact it's too slow for being convenient, it takes too long before the block is finally attached to the mouse pointer. I think a key that makes your and enemy tanks transparent and allows selecting any blocks lying on the ground behind tanks would be more convenient.
st33d
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2011, 02:58:33 AM »

- I just realised my tank isn't saved between levels. Sad
(I think this would add a more tactical level to the game, as i'd be trying to save the enemies turrets, so that i could use them on my own tank, rather than just destroy them.)

No. You think you want the blocks saved between levels because it would make it easier. It's what everyone thinks.

The reality of the situation is that the challenge that was designed in the next level becomes utterly broken because you've saved enough blocks to cheat your way through. Designing the level progression would be impossible. RTSs never give you more resources on the next level based on your performance. Instead, you are given more choice or can purchase upgrades (re: Plant vs Zombies and StarCraft 2).

What you actually want is to fight algorithmically designed tanks that match your own tank. This would have cost a lot more to develop. And perhaps we might get to do that, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I may have dropped the ball on that particular issue, but I had to draw a line because we were losing more and more money the longer we worked on this. The revenue we will get in advertising from this game does not cover the expense of making it.

TypeError: Error #1010: A term is undefined and has no properties.
   at com.nitrome.engine::PlayerTank/selectBlocks()
   at com.nitrome.ui::MouseControl/main()
   at Game/main()

This occurs when I try to Box Select and get near the Tank with the Box.
It throws this error the first time, and just freezes the game afterwards everytime I try.
I'm on Flash 11 Incubator (I wanted to try out some of the Molehill demos).

The first couple levels seem kinda neat, but I can't get very far without any sort of multi select.

Thanks, I'm getting a lot of Flash Player specific errors at moment (most of them to do with Vectors, all I can see in that code block is Vector operations). I can look into it when I get back to work as I'm very ill right now.

I can only suggest trying a different browser. If you're on Chrome you can goto: chrome://plugins , click on "details" and turn on and off a Flash Player if you have multiple installed.
st33d
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2011, 06:43:47 AM »

Ha ha, they finally figured out how to activate Dev Mode on Jayisgames:

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2011/04/steamlands.php
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:57 AM »

No. You think you want the blocks saved between levels because it would make it easier. It's what everyone thinks.

Well no, what we want is a game mode where the limitless customization is put to good use.

Since the game boils down to completing levels with a prebuilt tank by smashing other prebuilt tanks, there really wasn't any point in bothering with a customization system this extensive (and amazing).
st33d
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »

Which would require algorithmically generated tanks. Because in order to keep your tank between levels, the game would have to adapt to your playing style. It's simply too expensive to develop for free.

Maybe we might be able to at a later date.
cerebroside
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »

Played it for about an hour. The graphics and level of polish are amazing, but without the tanks carrying over between levels the whole designing thing seems a bit... pointless?
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »

The reality of the situation is that the challenge that was designed in the next level becomes utterly broken because you've saved enough blocks to cheat your way through. Designing the level progression would be impossible. RTSs never give you more resources on the next level based on your performance. Instead, you are given more choice or can purchase upgrades (re: Plant vs Zombies and StarCraft 2).

What you actually want is to fight algorithmically designed tanks that match your own tank. This would have cost a lot more to develop. And perhaps we might get to do that, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I may have dropped the ball on that particular issue, but I had to draw a line because we were losing more and more money the longer we worked on this. The revenue we will get in advertising from this game does not cover the expense of making it.

I don't want the game to be easier, i was just a bit bummed that the tank didn't save. However i completely understand your point of view, the challenge of each level would indeed be lost.

I would love to see this on Steam, with the extra features you mentioned.

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »

I really enjoyed this! It's fantastic. I guess in case people are sad about the vehicle not staying the same, think of the game more as a puzzle than as an action game. It definitely is both, though. A 'limitless' mode later on with more everything would be certainly something I'd pay for, but the game is it is some really fantastic flash love. Thanks for making it!

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »

Yeah I think it's turned out really well and while I agree with Hempuli an addon might be nice for that, I like the way it's packaged - it makes it like Advance Wars in that respect in that your limitations are set out by the designers.

The love that's been put into the animation, GUI and background details makes this game all the sweeter.  I'm super glad it got made...

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

Which would require algorithmically generated tanks. Because in order to keep your tank between levels, the game would have to adapt to your playing style. It's simply too expensive to develop for free.

Maybe we might be able to at a later date.

Well no, I'm not trying to shit down your neck here.
The game is amazing as it is, but just keep that idea in mind for a future expansion or sequel.  You're potentially sitting on a Minecraft goldmine here if you have this customization paired with algorithmic opponents. ...or even human opponents?  Wink
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »

I think everything is a matter of presentation.
Nitrome should have presented the game in a way that keeping stuff btween levels wouldn't have appeared as an option for the player. It's all in the little details, but they count.(I haven't played the game yet)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2011, 02:17:54 AM »

just finished off the first world, or so I assume. felt a little lost, as i have no idea whats happening next. did i beat the game, do i have to buy the game for more? or is the titanic the finale? did not feal like it. do i have to get all medals to progress? and what the heck does damage control mean?

- at first i always collected as many parts as i could from any tank, thinking this would add to my score. i guess it does not, would be cool though. all parts left in the level could be counted as loot, would give some sense of achievement.
- I often tried to spare parts of opponents, only to find that it was actually the last opponent and i could have destroyed it much faster

i really liked the game, some good challenges there.

st33d
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »

I think everything is a matter of presentation.
Nitrome should have presented the game in a way that keeping stuff btween levels wouldn't have appeared as an option for the player. It's all in the little details, but they count.(I haven't played the game yet)

It's not something I think you can "present" as not there - it's inherent in the game's mechanics.

just finished off the first world, or so I assume. felt a little lost, as i have no idea whats happening next. did i beat the game, do i have to buy the game for more? or is the titanic the finale? did not feal like it. do i have to get all medals to progress? and what the heck does damage control mean?

That's a bug. Thanks for mentioning this. We tested the congrats screen and somehow a bug must have crept into the level editor whilst I was fixing something else.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »

Really fun, super polished, very charming. I found myself hoping you'll do a port with tank persistence between levels, maybe for PC or for XBLA or something.

Fantastic game. Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Left

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Nix
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »

Yeah, I'm sad I missed this earlier. Really nice job   Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmileyHand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic