Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411610 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 12:04:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignsimplistic RPG
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: simplistic RPG  (Read 4835 times)
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 12:23:59 PM »

Spelunky had something like that at the beginning, though it was only three lines.

You could instead show it as: [the king has summoned you]. [monsters are emerging from the crypt], and you must [find the cause] to [save the kingdom]!

Or something. The important part is the linking parts.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 12:54:06 PM »

yeah I guess I am having a problem with formatting it all so it looks nice on the screen. thats why I was going with the different lines. so it would probably read

[the king has summoned you].
[monsters are emerging from the crypt],
and you must [find the cause] to [save the kingdom]!

i think the problem lies with different sizes in the specific story elements. and my very small screen footprint.

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »

You could research some RPG cliche lists and/or TVTropes (or both at once). There are many common themes that may be used for procedurally generating quests. Many items of such lists are just complaints, but others are themes that can be reused. With some mix-and-match you can get interesting results. In fact given how some of the most acclaimed RPGs have been criticized for being too cliched, it would end up being at the very least an interesting experiment.

...I think I'm exceding the scope of your project. Well, even if you just want to create some introductory text, you can get some inspiration from there.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:41:08 PM by TwilightVulpine » Logged
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 05:56:12 PM »

twilight: thanks for the list. lots of good stuff and I don't think its to complicated.

My main problem now is formatting. right now I can only fit 20 characters to a line. and you cant tell much with 20 characters. right now I can do things like

the king's order,
to save the castle.

but not much else. its kind of limiting. it looks like I will do smaller random screens in order then the larger block like I was hoping.

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 05:04:29 AM »

Does whatever library you use to draw text support line wrap? Actually, what are you making this in? If it's C/C++ I could write some code for a line wrap. If it's gamemaker or similar, I think there might be one built in somewhere.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »

i'm using gamemaker and I don't know if it has a line wrap.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic