Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 01:17:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2332501 times)
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22240 on: July 26, 2015, 06:56:29 AM »

Huh, I have no idea how that happened. Probably the laptop and it's stupid touchpad which always has to be placed where the hand rests when writing. I have homesickness for my main computer with it's proper keyboard and mouse.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22241 on: July 26, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »

i cant even use mice anymore after 5+ years of not owning a desktop
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22242 on: July 26, 2015, 07:05:39 AM »

i use a magic trackpad

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22243 on: July 26, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »

Yes please, I'm curious to know. Thanks. Smiley

Turns out, yes, the subtitles in Swedish are made milder than the source material.

Yes, generally you're supposed to think "a bit nicer in Swedish". (It's almost automatic in all types of translation.) And certain programs are supposed to be separated as post and pre watershed, depending on when they're aired. If they're aired before 6pm, then swears are bleeped and you have to remove them in the translation as well. Either using "---" or by rewriting/removing. For example "What the bleep are you doing" becomes "What are you doing" and "You're such a bleep" becomes "You're such a ---"

I asked why this was the case, her speculation was:

Probably because we don't think swears in other languages are as harsh as in our primary language. Because, well, I'm sure you can imagine yourself. It's more personal, direct. If I said "fucking hell", it would never be the same as [long Swedish explative].

People are used to hearing strong swearing in English, but not reading them in Swedish writing. I guess there would be too many complaints. It's something that seems to have become an established norm. But there is no outright ban against using strong swears if you want to.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22244 on: July 26, 2015, 07:34:15 AM »

The last quote is very true. Swears are far from as strong for me in English as in Swedish.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #22245 on: July 26, 2015, 07:47:29 AM »

pet peeve: talk about things being more or less evolved

The longer something's validity goes unchallenged the more power it gains in the hearts of those too weak to deny it.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22246 on: July 26, 2015, 07:48:45 AM »

I'm too weak to deny that, because I have no idea what you said  Smiley

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22247 on: July 26, 2015, 08:08:57 AM »

do hands-free mice exist yet?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #22248 on: July 26, 2015, 08:34:23 AM »

It's called an eye movement tracker.

Or Siri.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22249 on: July 26, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »

Talks about historical accuracy in games:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyx1mPZXobOxCyzO2CwmDZA
There should be more stuff like this.
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22250 on: July 26, 2015, 11:43:01 AM »

http://www.mirametrix.com/products/
Cool so they do exist. Has anyone ever tried one of these?

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #22251 on: July 26, 2015, 11:55:38 AM »

IT'S JUST HARD HANGING AROUND WITH OTHER ADULTS WHO ARE WELL ADJUSTED AND SEEM TO BE IN CONTROL AND SATISFIED WITH THEIR COURSE IN LIFE CAUSE LIKE

MOSTLY I JUST DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE IN MY OWN SKIN.

I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE IN OTHER PEOPLE'S SKIN EITHER THOUGH.

THIS IS WHY I'M A VEGAN.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22252 on: July 26, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »

that's because you forget to eat their intestines , they make you feel uncomfortable when crawling into their skin
JWK5
« Reply #22253 on: July 26, 2015, 12:54:17 PM »

IT'S JUST HARD HANGING AROUND WITH OTHER ADULTS WHO ARE WELL ADJUSTED AND SEEM TO BE IN CONTROL AND SATISFIED WITH THEIR COURSE IN LIFE CAUSE LIKE
Adults are big children who've gotten better at lying (to themselves and others). I don't think I've met anyone who under the surface is "well adjusted", I think we're all just desperately trying to keep our heads above water in some manner or another. If it seems like your issues are more visible than others it is likely just that you are less in denial or less inclined to hide yours. I always tell my kids, don't look at me like I have all the answers because I am about as smart as you are and all my experience hasn't made me any less of a kid myself, it just helps me help you keep away from the dangerous stuff until you're ready for it.

MOSTLY I JUST DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE IN MY OWN SKIN.
If you never had to interact with anyone else you'd never even give it any thought, everything would just seem natural and just the way life is. Find people and places that make you forget about your own skin altogether, they're out there.

I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE IN OTHER PEOPLE'S SKIN EITHER THOUGH.
Choose your victims more carefully. Though skin is stretchy one size does not fit all. See the works of Ed Gein for more information on the matter.

THIS IS WHY I'M A VEGAN.
Monster.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #22254 on: July 26, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »

FUCK YOU I CAN TURN INTO DAVID MORSE AND CONVEY WEIRD MESSAGES TO JODIE FOSTER IF I WANT TO THIS IS AMERICA.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22255 on: July 26, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »

Talks about historical accuracy in games:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyx1mPZXobOxCyzO2CwmDZA
There should be more stuff like this.

good

ive always wondered why nerds who are interested in the lore/backstory of videogames aren't also interested in the cultural references and etc in games. those 2 kinda belong together i think. and its also a missed opportunity for using videogames as a gateway into sth else.

maybe its because too many gams try too hard to be these self contained escapist fantasies. they should open up to the outside world more
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22256 on: July 26, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »

One of the main reasons why people play video games is escaping reality. So historical accuracy is probably not even wanted, certainly not in Diablo games.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22257 on: July 26, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »

Diablo 3's setting is one that has medieval fiefdoms and abandoned crypts miles away from pseudo-Mayan ruins.  I'm not gonna watch the video, but I'm curious what they have to discern about the historical significance of any of that nonsense pile
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22258 on: July 26, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »

They didn't try to grade Diablo on accuracy. Instead, they talked to an expert on demonology and discussed the historical basis for the references to demons/angels/witches/etc.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22259 on: July 26, 2015, 02:19:18 PM »

One of the main reasons why people play video games is escaping reality. So historical accuracy is probably not even wanted, certainly not in Diablo games.
Relatable and recognizable things give comfort to people.

Pages: 1 ... 1111 1112 [1113] 1114 1115 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic