Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411690 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 18, 2024, 03:40:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Legend of Zelda: Mystery of Solarus DX
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Mystery of Solarus DX  (Read 7761 times)
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:02:33 PM »

Hello there!

My name is Guillaume, I'm a French developer and Computer Science student. I'd like to share some info about a fangame I contribute to.

The Legend of Zelda: Mystery of Solarus started off as a game made on RPG Maker 2000 by Christopho from 2001 to 2002. It came out on April 26th, 2002, and has been downloaded almost 400,000 times solely on theofficial site (we have mirrors on other big websites but no precise count, unfortunately). The game is set to be a direct sequel to "A Link to the Past" on the SNES, using the same graphics and game mechanisms. However, due to the nature of RPG Maker, the game, while a completely playable Action RPG with 9 dungeons, was still heavily flawed in many aspects.

]A spiritual sequel, Mercuri's Chest, was then scheduled, but we only made it to a first demo in 05- the project was abandoned shortly after.

Which leads us to April 2008, during which we announced the development of The Legend of Zelda: Mystery of Solarus DX (or ZSDX to be short). The game would be a remake of the original. The engine is written mainly in C++ (I can provide technical details if you wish, please let me know) to make up for the flaws of the original game, and is placed under the GPL.

We have a first demo that just came out that you can download here:

http://zelda-solarus.com/jeu-zsdx-demo&lang=en

Even though all our games are originally French, we have made an effort to provide ZSDX in English (I am the one in charge of the English adaptation), Spanish, German and Dutch- with possibly other languages to come.

This is just the first demo, including the game up to the end of the first dungeon. We have no definite release date planned, but things are moving on pretty fast, and we expect a full release sometime in late 2010 or early 2011.

Concerning resources, we use the original AlttP sprites and music, and some additional ones made by our own graphist and composer.

As far as using protected ressources for our game, we are fully aware that the elements we use are not in the public domain and protected by copyright laws. Our only intention is to promote the Zelda franchise by dedicating our skills to it, and we do not make any form of profit. Should Nintendo contact us with any demands we would cooperate promptly, however this has never been the case in almost 8 years.

I'd really appreciate it if you tested out the demo and, if you enjoy it, maybe talk a bit on your blog or website if you have one. We're amateurs, and the biggest reward we can get is people speaking of us.

Have fun!

English website
Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:38:28 AM »

Do you guys have enough spanish translators and/or musicians? Or are you using the original songs? I am a Mexican musician and my domain of english is almost perfect, so if you guys needed help with translations or classic styled "Zelda-ish" music, i'd be glad to be part of your project.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 01:56:58 AM »

Hey Mir@k,

For the Spanish translation, we might need someone. I'll check with the rest of the team.
As for the music, we have our composer who's doing a great job filling our needs right now, but same thing- I'll check with the team Smiley
Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 02:07:05 AM »

Please do, i thirst for being part of something.

MaloEspada
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:17:44 AM »

I'm definitely interested. Downloading now!

Feedback: there's a typo when buying the sword. the blacksmith says "ennemies".
i didn't play a lot, but I liked what I saw. great level of polishness. looks fun. will it be as long as the original alttp? now I got this urge to replay that game haha.

using spacebar for the action button wasnt a good choice IMO. but then I don't know what you could have used. I couldn't find the options menu to change the controls either. :-/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:06:19 AM by R. D. Ein » Logged
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »

Thanks for the typo Smiley It has been corrected in our current version.

For the length of the game, yes it will be pretty long. The original Mystery of Solarus had 8 dungeons with sidequests, so this one will be at least as long. (who knows, maybe bonus content? hehe...)

As for the spacebar, we thought it was the most logical choice. Unfortunately, we can't please everyone Sad ... which is why we want to allow the keys to be remapped.

To do that, go in the pause menu and keep pressing the right arrow key...eventually you'll get to the key remapping screen Smiley
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:36:14 AM by Guillaume » Logged
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:29 AM »

A big huzzah for fangames that actually get done and are good.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 09:10:17 AM »

Much appreciated!  Gentleman

(just so you TIGers know, I'm in charge of the game's English translation, "public relations" for the English version (which is basically talking about the game with cool guys like you on forums), and also porting the game to a super secret platform in the future, but I've said too much already).
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:21:34 AM »

We just released a new trailer showcasing some stuff that wasn't in the demo (second dungeon, bow,...) with a music composed by one of our team members.

Enjoy!

Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 06:08:09 AM »

It's embarasing, but I don't know what to do after the start of the game.
There is someone blocking way out of the house telling me
about monsters. That's all. Can't get past him.
Can't find anything at home.
 Embarrassed
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 11:07:45 AM »

Lift the pots in your house to get to the chest, and get your shield out of it Tongue
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 04:03:13 PM »

oh come on a installer for a wip demo ? I was all excited and then I find it's an installer.  Angry

I'll install the thing anyway but keep in mind not everyone like to have their registry messed up with and bear with the instalation process when a simple doubleclick->extract to here would do just fine. Meh, your choice but you'll be putting a lot of people off with that.

Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 04:50:16 PM »

Actually it's not my choice, but the project owner's Tongue

I do agree with you, I hate installers. I had never been confronted to the problem before as I use our nightly builds (which are zip'd)- but I guess as a lot of our players are not too tech-savvy, an installer was chosen for the public releases.

I'll try to make it that we have an alternative zip file on the server.
JackieJay
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 06:47:16 PM »

I don't think it takes a software engineer to know an installer fills your registry with garbage you don't need, and it's just much easier and faster to unzip a file than run an installer.

Allowing people to chose between a zip file and the installer would be a great idea.  Beer!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic