Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:27:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Mac development tools?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Mac development tools?  (Read 10074 times)
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 06:36:02 AM »

No it's not, it's easy to find; it's called cfxr Wink

Ohh... must have missed that somehow. Cheers! This will make my life just that little bit better.

jcromartie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 06:38:41 AM »

My goal is to make a platform-independent game engine that handles all logic in Lua.  Maybe I'll even make a game with it, who knows...  Tired

Have a look at LÖVE, it seems very nice. All the nuts and bolts already done for you.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, just realized Mac builds aren't available yet. But source is available, maybe you can build it yourself.

Wowza.  That's very similar to what I'm building.  A lot of the lua code and approach is eerily identical!  My app is more focused on making low-fi sprite-based games, though.  I also have an interactive console.

They do a lot of things in C++ that could very well be handled in Lua (animation, particle systems, etc.).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:55:53 AM by jcromartie » Logged
increpare
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 06:49:13 AM »

Ohh... must have missed that somehow. Cheers! This will make my life just that little bit betterPetter.
Smiley
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »

Wowza.  That's very similar to what I'm building.  A lot of the lua code and approach is eerily identical!  My app is more focused on making low-fi sprite-based games, though.  I also have an interactive console.

I see nothing holding you back from making lo-fi games in Löve, it supports sprites just fine. Also, one guy on the forum has posted a console done in Lua which looked pretty nice.

But not to deter you from making your own thing if that's what you want, I know how satisfying that can be Smiley
jcromartie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 09:45:35 AM »

I see nothing holding you back from making lo-fi games in Löve, it supports sprites just fine. Also, one guy on the forum has posted a console done in Lua which looked pretty nice.

But not to deter you from making your own thing if that's what you want, I know how satisfying that can be Smiley

Well my sprite system is actually pretty high-performance compared to Löve.  They're using OpenGL exclusively in immediate mode.  I've built a vertex-array-based system in addition to the immediate-mode functions that lets you "set up" a scene and then only specify the changes.  It limits the amount of calls between Lua and C and makes a pretty big difference in the maximum number of sprites you can render on certain systems.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 11:21:24 AM »

Well my sprite system is actually pretty high-performance compared to Löve.  They're using OpenGL exclusively in immediate mode.  I've built a vertex-array-based system in addition to the immediate-mode functions that lets you "set up" a scene and then only specify the changes.  It limits the amount of calls between Lua and C and makes a pretty big difference in the maximum number of sprites you can render on certain systems.

Ah, I see. That doesn't sound very lo-fi though Grin
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 05:32:28 AM »

I use xcode with SDL and OpenGL. Thinking of moving to Mono if I can ever work out Mac distribution.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 06:46:40 AM »

Does anyone use anything specific for source control?

I don't like the idea of having to lock and unlock files when I'm working on my own (especially through the Unity GUI), but I like the idea of having incremental backups. Right now, however, I'm relying on Time Machine for my backups and iterations! o_o;

twitter: @docky
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 06:49:23 AM »

I use Mercurial. It's a distributed versioning system, and it's completely awesome. You can get free hosting for it, amongst other places, at assembla.com.
Corpus
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »

So does svn not meet your requirements, dock?

If it does, I'd be happy to host a svn repository for you.

Versions is a very lovely OSX svn client.
increpare
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »

I'll have to check out (pardon the pun) versions.  I've toyed about with google code svn blah blah xcode, but haven't fully figured it out yet.  I should, really :/  Also trying to set up a svn rep. on a server I have...but alas I don't think I'm going to have the finances to afford that for much longer, so I should start looking elsewhere.

Or I might just opt to go with darcs Wink
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »

I'd like to add...

CFXR
http://thirdcog.eu/apps/cfxr
It's just a mac port of Dr. Petter's SFXR, but I love the way that it saves all your previous sounds. You can tap away at the new-sound button and each of the new sounds will be stored. You can then label them and give them a 'rating' so you can sort them later. A very nice port, better than the original IMO.

EDIT: increpare already posted this! Whoops! XD In fact, he told me about the mac port in person during tigjam, so I guess that makes sense.

I've also taken to using VMware Fusion quite a lot, especially for using Musagi and PXtone.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:57:40 PM by dock » Logged

increpare
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »

I've also taken to using VMware Fusion quite a lot, especially for using Musagi and PXtone.
Oh, we totally forgot to pxtone it up back that weekend.  I'm happy to hear that you've been continuing to use them.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 03:59:16 PM »

Well... Garageband is still my music proggy of choice by a significant margin, but both PXtone and Musagi are still on my radar for when I'm in the mood to make some chip-tunes!

increpare
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 04:04:07 PM »

grrr for garageband not being on osx by default anymore
Michael Buckley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »

grrr for garageband not being on osx by default anymore

Garageband has always been a part of iLife, not OS X. However, iLife comes with almost every new Mac. So if you have the OS X discs that came with your computer, not the retail version of OS X, you should be able to install it on the computer those discs are for. You will not, however, get free upgrades.
increpare
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »

oh, you might be right there...hah.  I'll have to try reinstalling it at some point if I can find the disk... .  It was quite handy sometimes.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic