Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:08:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Animating bosses made from multiple objects
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Animating bosses made from multiple objects  (Read 8150 times)
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »

Annabelle:  o_o WOW! Seriously? This thread just keeps getting more uncanny. : D

Not only do I pass CalArts daily, it's like a foot away from my house.. so I'm always around there! I have a bunch of connections to CalArts, too. Not to mention every day I'm driving into work down McBean Parkway, I pass it. Were you in the character animation program by any chance? Do you know the instructor Mike Disa? Uh... are you still close to CalArts?? (:

Sorry for the stack of ?'s .. We gotta talk! :3   (Jeeze, the world IS small!)

hahaha im not in cali anymore though... i used to be , though thats why i mentioned it
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »

hahaha im not in cali anymore though... i used to be , though thats why i mentioned it

is it a graphics school or what? sounds interesting D:

oh well i'm so out of the world i can only see and cry...  Cry

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »

Yeah, California Institute of the Arts

JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »

You guys really should just create a game even manlier than that somehow, just to push the testosterone limit even further.

Sorry, skipped this one WTF Don't feel bad about Contra 4, I think many didn't even beat easy mode. I'm not sure you can get manlier than Contra 4 anyhow; the game card would combust or something. And.. yeah, looks like konjak came to answer. (hi Joakim! We enjoy Noitu Love 2 : D) This should become the official thread of what a small world we all live in, but it's really supposed to be about animating giant bosses.. and I'm completely off topic. x)

Aww, bummerrr... Was hoping you were close by, Annabelle. Sad Oh well. I'm still impressed by the degrees of connection in this thread. WayForward is always looking for nearby talented 2D artists that have any sort of passion for games, and desire to work on Nintendo Wii and DS projects. Also any exp with pixel art, general game knowledge etc.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »

this thread is going to make me more sad at every post Sad

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
BenH
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 03:33:40 PM »

Hey Kirby, speaking of Wayforward, does a guy named Nick Kraich still work there? He'd be on the programming team if he is Smiley

BenH
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »

Okay, so I've been trying to make my own 2d skeletal animation system to animate this giant boss stuff. Everything pretty much works except one thing; rotations.

I need the system to figure out what the shortest angle would be for that bone to reach it's target angle. So basically, since the angles are 0-360, if I rotate a bone slightly so that it goes from 0º in one frame to 350º in the next frame, currently the system will interpolate that and the bone will rotate the long way round. I've tried various ways of getting it to rotate in the opposite direction if it's the shorter route, but it seems to keep messing up.

If anyone has a simple solution (I'm sure I'm over complicating things as usual), then I'd love to hear it. Smiley

Cheers!

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »

Alright, these scripts are for GM, but it should be pretty easy to translate this to anything. Here's my SmoothAngle script. The first argument is the current angle, second argument is the target angle, and the third is a fraction to smooth by (try something like 0.3). It returns the new value. This code accounts for the problem you're mentioning there, so hopefully it helps!

SmoothAngle:
Code:
var currentAngle, deltaAngle, ratio;
currentAngle = argument0;
targetAngle = argument1;
ratio = argument2;

if(abs(currentAngle-targetAngle) >= 180)
{
    if(currentAngle > 180)
        return Clamp360(currentAngle + ( 359 - ( currentAngle - targetAngle ) ) * ratio);
    return Clamp360(currentAngle - ( 359 - ( targetAngle - currentAngle ) ) * ratio );

}
else
    return Clamp360(currentAngle + (targetAngle - currentAngle) * ratio);

Clamp360:
Code:
return frac(argument0/360)*360;

BenH
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 04:47:40 PM »

That was just what I was looking for! It works perfectly Kiss

Funnily enough I'm using Game Maker, so I was able to just copy and paste it straight in and replace my angle tween code with it!

Thanks so much, it's very much appreciated! Grin

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 04:50:34 PM »

It seems to me like the really hard part would be making the animations, rather than making the code to animate things. Actually, for a game I'm planning, I'd need to have a system like this for the protagonist, and figuring it out has been a REAL sticking point.
edit: Although, now that I think about it, I may have been making it more difficult than it needs to be Tongue

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 05:52:12 PM »

My recommendation would be just making it interpolate between poses, and writing a tool to edit pose information visually.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 03:22:11 AM »

Interpolating between poses can be dangerous, if you mean store every part in absolute co-ordinates, as you cannot guarantee that joints will be preserved over the course of the animation (i.e. that my forearm and upper arm both have ends that meet where my elbow should be).

P.S. AMT, your angle code is ugly. Here's a nicer one, though still messy as I'm assuming a the stupid behaviour for modulo to return an answer with the same sign as the first argument.
Code:
delta = endAngle - startAngle + 180;
delta  = delta % 360 + delta>0?-180:180;
finalAngle = delta * ratio + startAngle;
Or the following, if your language doesn't support ternary operators.
Code:
delta = endAngle - startAngle + 180;
if(delta>0){
  delta = delta % 360 - 180;
}else{
  delta = delta % 360 + 180;
}
finalAngle = delta * ratio + startAngle;
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

If you use a bone system instead of just storing coordinates for each part you should be able to make it work fairly well. I had a skeleton animation system working pretty well in GM, I'll post it on here once I can clean up / comment the code so someone can actually learn from it. I'm not too familiar with the modulo function, so my code didn't use it.

BenH
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 05:09:59 AM »

If you use a bone system instead of just storing coordinates for each part you should be able to make it work fairly well. I had a skeleton animation system working pretty well in GM, I'll post it on here once I can clean up / comment the code so someone can actually learn from it. I'm not too familiar with the modulo function, so my code didn't use it.

That'd be great Smiley
My skeleton stuff works, but it's hardly usable or friendly for games, so taking a look at someone else's technique/ideas would definitely be useful.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic