Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 01:51:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSales of one man indie game hit, Minecraft, have surpassed $250,000 per day.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Sales of one man indie game hit, Minecraft, have surpassed $250,000 per day.  (Read 50140 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »

i think there definitely are indies who care more about money than their games or the community, though -- a lot of people on the indiegamer.com forums would qualify, as well as many casual game developers. they don't actually do anything deceptive or harmful, or screw people, but they do seem to focus more on the business side than the creative side

but yeah, as far as tigsource is concerned i don't think that really applies to many people here -- those that it does apply to usually soon get banned (like jforce and such)

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »

they don't actually do anything deceptive or harmful, or screw people, but they do seem to focus more on the business side than the creative side

but yeah, as far as tigsource is concerned i don't think that really applies to many people here -- those that it does apply to usually soon get banned (like jforce and such)

I presume you mean people who care more about money than the community are just more prone to acting like dicks (and thus often get banned), not that they were actually banned for not having the "right" priorities... ...right....?
(These two phrases together looked like you meant, "In the tigsource community some people might not do anything wrong, but are only in it for the money, so they get banned!")

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2010, 02:05:24 AM »

it's a little of both; there have been people who have been banned for caring more about money than their game, absolutely. one i can think of was 'cas' (http://puppygames.com). for instance, he created a feedback thread about his game, and said something like 'i don't really care about your feedback, i just want you guys to play game'.

note that i don't necessarily agree that this is the best thing to do, but it does happen

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2010, 02:29:46 AM »

Wasn't he banned for acting like a dick in the thread about somebody "ripping off" his game, though?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2010, 03:59:00 AM »

apparently puppygames' got what i need it, when i need it

i wonder if that guy is rich, the "what you need, when you need it"
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2010, 04:59:19 AM »

It's puppygames.net not .com

Laserbrain Studios
jack_norton
Level 0

Better be independent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2010, 06:12:37 AM »

i think there definitely are indies who care more about money than their games or the community, though -- a lot of people on the indiegamer.com forums would qualify, as well as many casual game developers. they don't actually do anything deceptive or harmful, or screw people, but they do seem to focus more on the business side than the creative side

Honestly I don't really think Cas ever cared about making huge money at all. He just wanted his games to be successful so he could become indie and say goodbye to the terrible world of "being employed" Smiley

Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2010, 06:18:16 AM »

i'm a bit jealous too since i make about $200 a month on immortal defense sales and was the one who suggested the name "minecraft" to him when he was asking for names of it, and didn't even get a free copy of the game out of it Smiley

I suck at remembering names, so I geniunely don't remember that, but thank you! If you really want a free user account, of course I will get you one. :D
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2010, 09:32:51 AM »

I suggested the name Notch, where's my free account?!

Who, Me?

Laserbrain Studios
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »

Honestly I don't really think Cas ever cared about making huge money at all. He just wanted his games to be successful so he could become indie and say goodbye to the terrible world of "being employed" Smiley

Something i imagine a lot of people here can empathise with. Smiley
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »

I suck at remembering names, so I geniunely don't remember that, but thank you! If you really want a free user account, of course I will get you one. :D

the conversation log:

15:03 <fartron> craftminer
15:04 <rinkuhero> minecraft: order of the stone

so technically both fartron and i named it; i remixed his name suggestion

anyway, send me a free account if you like (my username/email on minecraft is rinkuhero / [email protected]), although if possible please also consider using some of the popularity of minecraft to get more people involved in indie games in general (e.g. by mentioning tigsource.com for instance, or mentioning other indie games that the players of minecraft might enjoy), that'd be the important thing. it'd be great if minecraft wasn't just a fluke, but became the beginning of a long stream of indie games which outsell mainstream games.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:32:17 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »

yeah haha minecraft is what's-a-happenin' in my school.

A link or two could get a whole lot more people to try out the other cool stuff from the database or forum! I know a couple dudes who are pretty much close to exhausting all they can do with minecraft quoth my bff, yet another minecraft player (they play it every waking hour, even in class) unless there are major updates, so there's this ravenous mob of males in their late teens who are just ready to consume anything similar. what will they do when they run outta minefood ._.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:21:21 PM by Atnas » Logged

Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »

anyway, send me a free account if you like (my username/email on minecraft is [email protected]), although if possible please also consider using some of the popularity of minecraft to get more people involved in indie games in general (e.g. by mentioning tigsource.com for instance, or mentioning other indie games that the players of minecraft might enjoy), that'd be the important thing. it'd be great if minecraft wasn't just a fluke, but became the beginning of a long stream of indie games which outsell mainstream games.

I regularly tweet and blog about indie games I enjoy, and encourage people to participate in events like Ludum Dare. I've also (tried to, in some cases) donate relatively large sums to indie game developers who make games I enjoy, and who depend on donations. Also, one of the splash screen texts is "woo, tigsource!".

But yes, I can do more, and as a result, I've updated the community.jsp page.

(also, technically valve is indie, and regularly outsells other mainstream games. Wink)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2010, 01:20:44 PM »

ah, didn't know most of that, good good

although i didn't mean indie in the strict sense, but more in the sense of teams of less than 10 people or so, or games which are developed without funding. it's a lot more impressive and inspirational to the average indie when a game on the scale of minecraft sells 50,000 copies in a week than when a game on the scale of half life 2 does.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2010, 01:25:04 PM »

Hey Mr Paul eres, sir.
Shouldn't his success be an incitation for you to finish your game instead of spending all day all day on the forums?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »

well, we're going for different kinds of games (my game is more about content and minecraft is more procedural); i already spend most of the day working on my game (the changelog is proof: http://rinku.livejournal.com)

i know people are all about procedural generation now but there's still something special about hand-making 854 different areas and choosing the exact best placement of individual tree tiles for each place. this last month i've been placing creatures in and setting music for each of those areas, which is taking weeks and weeks just due to how many areas there are and how much of a perfectionist i am about it; i spent most of this month that way and will probably spend most of next month the same way

i'd even guess that SD is more finished than minecraft is in terms of % finished, it's just that i decided not to sell alpha copies of it

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »

Paul works on his game while posting in TIGS simultaneously. WITH HIS MIND.

His mind powers are allergic to shift.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Eraser
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »

His mind powers are allergic to shift.
Cheesy Well played.

Anyway, I have to agree with Paul on procedural generation. It's quite fun to play with in some instances (it's perfect for Minecraft), but purposeful creation creates a certain depth that procedural generation will probably never achieve.
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2010, 01:10:42 AM »

Congrats on the big success Notch!

Any plans to write up how you promoted minecraft and got to this spot?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2010, 02:21:41 AM »

i think you guys also overestimate how long it takes to post a forum post; let's say i post 10 posts a day on average (it's a bit less), and each one takes 2 minutes to write: that's only 20 minutes a day spent on the forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic