Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 05:06:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRollaway
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rollaway  (Read 867 times)
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »

Rollaway is an abstract dice game about picking the right time to play whatever actions you roll. The interaction of six simple actions (win, lose, skip, double, give, and take) produces a rich variety of gameplay. A die that normally scores one point could earn you four, or could be taken away. You might use a skip-die to prevent the next player from giving you a burdensome lose-die, or you might take the lose-die so you can pass it on to someone else. Rollaway is simple to learn, highly interactive, and provides hours of lightly strategic fun.

I've recently been trying my hand at table top game design (in addition to computer games).  My latest game Rollaway is now available in both forms.  I'm very interested in hearing what people think, and whether they run into any problems with this.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:29:20 AM by LiquidAsh » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »

It's pretty good. I had no trouble determining how to play just from the words on the dice. My only issue was that I didn't notice what the score counters were until I had played through one round (My fault for not really paying attention to the effects of the Win/Lose dice).

It seems like it would take quite a while to finish a game, though. I almost feel like it would work better on a one-round-per-game basis as a gambling game. In three rounds, the highest player only has three points and those could easily be lost in the next round. It could take no time at all to reach ten points or it could take ages.

Edit: I played a Take die and didn't get to take anything. I think it was a bug, but maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was skipped or something.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 04:51:50 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Quicksand-S.  I do like your idea about limiting the number of rounds since the amount of time for one game can vary so greatly.  I'll have to play around with that.

I did add the little skip and double icons above the blanks that you are about to play on... maybe I should have it leave them up to make it more obvious when something has been skipped or taken.  I think I do need to make this more apparent.

Thanks again for the help.
TertiumQuid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »

Are the mechanics similar to  James Ernest's Falling?

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »

I really don't see much similarity.  Rollaway is turn-based that involves choosing what order to play your rolled actions in to earn points and avoid losing them.  Falling is a real-time game about being the last player to be dealt a ground card.  While they both have a few actions that look similar on the surface (skipping, double-split/hit, take-grab), how these actions work is actually quite different in the two games (as far as I can see).  I have worked with James Ernest on porting his game TimeLine to work on the computer... but Rollaway an original design of my own.
TertiumQuid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »

I really don't see much similarity.  Rollaway is turn-based that involves choosing what order to play your rolled actions in to earn points and avoid losing them.  Falling is a real-time game about being the last player to be dealt a ground card.  While they both have a few actions that look similar on the surface (skipping, double-split/hit, take-grab), how these actions work is actually quite different in the two games (as far as I can see).  I have worked with James Ernest on porting his game TimeLine to work on the computer... but Rollaway an original design of my own.

Ah, very cool! Thanks for the info; I just took a superficial look before. Having now played a round of Rollaway I can see that the differences are immediately clear. Nice work.

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 06:26:20 AM »

Thanks for checking it out TertiumQuid.  I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic