Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 08:09:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHexatron
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hexatron  (Read 845 times)
ShinAli
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2012, 12:09:33 AM »

Hey guys! I've finished a game awhile ago in a 30-day competition at the SomethingAwful forums called SA GameDev. It was my first complete game that managed to make it through a graveyard of prototypes that barely have more than two gameplay elements; really don't know how I managed to actually 'finish' this one but I was pretty happy that I finally did something.

I've been in a bit of a lull trying to get back into things and there were a lot of things I would've like to done with Hexatron so I'd like to see some feedback on it!

It's a room-based dual stick shooter in the vein of Super Stardust, whilst trying to make it a roguelike-like. It generates random levels with rooms based on hexagons ontop of a sphere (thanks to Joel Davis!), as well as random equipment and weapons. I've also implemented a multi-weapon system akin to Mechwarrior that let you fire different set of weapons at once. I didn't have anything too inspired for weapon and equipment generation, even though I was planning to experiment with status effects and such when I was developing the game.

Weird thing was that I felt I didn't have enough ideas to make this a fully featured game. The aim I was going for was a Metroidvania feel for it where you collected items you needed and went through quests to unlock the next area and such, but still felt it would've been a relatively weak game. Unexpectedly, I ran out of time so fast that I couldn't even touch any sort of quest system whilst staying up for several days while I hacked in a half baked, buggy end game.

Obviously there is the dual stick shooter part of the game I've drawn inspiration from, but I didn't want to make it feel like a dual stick shooter. I wanted to place emphasis on movement and made it feel a bit loose while still having a good amount of control over it, as well as different feeling weapons. So... wanted to evoke some Doom and Quake MP vibe.

There are problems like lack of a tutorial/better communication to the players, more interesting equipment generation and enemies, etc. but I'd love feedback all the same.

The one thing I hate is how ingrained the stat wankery is in the game. I like the feeling of finding an even better weapon, but I get annoyed at just trying to compare stuff to see how much better it is compared to something else. I wanted to do a system where you could just feed old equipment to the ship itself (like feeding mags in PSO) to get different effects but that just solves the old stuff problem...

Here's a trailer (doesn't really show off roguelike-like stuff though):

WebPlayer build
PC build
Mac build

Controls are WASD/Cursor keys for movement (or left stick on 360 pad)
Aim with mouse and click to shoot (or just shoot with right stick on 360 pad)
Press 1/2/3 keys to enable/disable the respective weapon slots (or press the X/Y/B buttons on 360 pad)
Double tap 1/2/3 keys to enable that weapon only (or double tap the X/Y/B buttons on 360 pad)
Press space bar to start boost (or the A button on the 360 pad)
Press escape to get into inventory menu (or press the Start button on the 360 pad)

The game is pretty unbalanced, too. I've made a settings file to change equations on equipment/weapon/enemy generation so I might do this easily but I never really took advantage of it after I've coded it!

I've also written a bit on random level generation on my blog over here, if anyone is curious!

Thanks for taking the time, guys Smiley
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »

I haven't played too much yet, but I'll get back to it later. For now, I like how the game feels! The controls are great, everything is intuitive I just started playing with no knowledge of anything. The enemies are tough! hard to hit them, hard to kill them, and they fire showers of bullets towards you! It is also sometimes hard to tell the objects apart from the background.

Vitali Kirpu
Level 1

reach your potential

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:48 AM »

looks cool based on the trailer Tongue

Working on the game and trying to help others on the way!

If you ever need tips let me know! I will gladly help
tterlinden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:55:29 AM »

It took me a few runs to stop getting decimated by the first room, but after that, I found the game rather enjoyable. I do agree that the enemies are a little hard to see, but other than that, I think you did a great job.

Perhaps a way to handle weapons could just be an initial 'type' find, then each subsequent could be an upgrade to that weapon type. That could help the comparison problem and automate your feeding of the ship. *shrug* Just thinking in type.

C# developer by day, C++ developer by lunch break

- Halley Devlog
teoma
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 12:13:43 AM »

Yay simplex maps!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic