Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 04:25:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBig inferno
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Big inferno  (Read 842 times)
Avgudar
Level 0

AVGUDAR

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:07:34 AM »

What type of Game play could a game like little inferno have? I felt the game lacked a bit in that sense? Would a sandbox game be enough to captivate the player? What could I present as a challenge for the player within this structure? I have asked others but nobody cares.

I'm working on something similar, with different elements and objects, and I'm trying to figure out what to do game-play wise.

Here it is, project codename BIG inferno.

Dl
https://anonfiles.com/file/9778d27de1b5791214478b55e2f1b390

SS:
http://i.imgur.com/f03WQ.jpg

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpsARk1qoCU&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:13:28 AM by Avgudar » Logged

Avgudar avgudar gudar
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:28 AM »

burning people is more fun than burning objects.

if you don't want death you can have people reacting to burning. example: burn things in a way that make people react. imagine some simple puzzle game. you have the people. they are AIs: very simple. they react in different ways to different things. they are kind of like lemmings. maybe they:
  . stand near fire when cold
  . are attracted to sounds far away
  . are afraid of large explosions
  . run for safety when their environment is set on fire, and try to run away from the fire.
      -> see how like lemmings? light environment on fire in specific ways to create chain reactions that then drive the people around.
  . change dramatically when friends die in fire
  . try to kill each other with fire if stressed.

player can try to save people, or make them accomplish something, or weed out the bad ones and burn them, or burn the attacking monsters and protect the people etc.
Avgudar
Level 0

AVGUDAR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »

burning people is more fun than burning objects.

if you don't want death you can have people reacting to burning. example: burn things in a way that make people react. imagine some simple puzzle game. you have the people. they are AIs: very simple. they react in different ways to different things. they are kind of like lemmings. maybe they:
  . stand near fire when cold
  . are attracted to sounds far away
  . are afraid of large explosions
  . run for safety when their environment is set on fire, and try to run away from the fire.
      -> see how like lemmings? light environment on fire in specific ways to create chain reactions that then drive the people around.
  . change dramatically when friends die in fire
  . try to kill each other with fire if stressed.

player can try to save people, or make them accomplish something, or weed out the bad ones and burn them, or burn the attacking monsters and protect the people etc.
I like it. I really do feel this is the way to go. But hording the people to an exit seems to easy. I'm thinking of a platformer with people running around in whichever direction, and by the use of various elements and tools - such as fire, you clear their way.
For example there could be a big boulder in the way, and you'd have to use fire crackers to blow it out of the way. Or there could be water in the way and you'd either have to turn it into steam (using fire) or freeze it to ice.

Avgudar avgudar gudar
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »

No that's boring.

It's typical. Consider the relationship people have with fire. Gunfire. Burning homes down. Fire kills, is frightening, is also present in entertainment. Campfires make people gather.

What you are suggesting doesn't use any of the interesting properties of fire.

Who said anything about hoarding? Be creative. You want the fire to make people do interesting things. Or you need a boy made out of fire or something.

Bring the humanity.

Actually I like your idea. I missed the platformer part. You are boy with fire. Cool.

--

Note key difference in our ideas. Mine focused on the fire itself. Yours focuses on using fire as a tool to accomplish something else. Your fire is a means to an end. My fire is the end.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:07:49 AM by Graham. » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic