Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 04:44:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCritiques on the Digitanks Trailer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Critiques on the Digitanks Trailer  (Read 1547 times)
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »

I took down the demo, skip to later in this page. I'm trying to get crits on my trailer.

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:41:47 AM by Vino » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »

Usability issues:

I don't like how the camera is set up, how you have to click an area to move the camera. WASD camera control would be preferable, I like more control over my camera in games like this.

Most annoying thing is there's no GUI button to end your turn. The GUI is also very in your face. The action buttons do not need to be so large. The space between the elements are also too wide. The Turn Report hud is just huge and in the way, as is the targets hud element.

I really liked the emoticons on the tanks. The base building was all pretty easy to grasp and the controls, I thought, were pretty pick up and play. I thought the story played at the beginning was very silly and inappropriate. I did have a little chuckle though...

I'm sure they exist, but I've never played a game like this. Very used to real time strategy games, and this is a lot like them yet turn based. Very interesting, and also very fun. And if you are going to include online multiplayer, that would be incredibly awesome.

Should also mention the game ran flawless on my system. Encountered no serious bugs or glitches other than sometimes tanks not noticing they are on a powerup and have to move them in position a few times until they do.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:39:03 PM »

Now that is great feedback, thank you. The camera is a significant improvement from the last demo, but I've still been hearing people say they want more control so I suppose I have more work to do. The GUI is all coder art as well, your points are good, I'll keep them in mind when I do the art for that. And yes, there will be online multiplayer.

Question: What exactly about the story did you find out of place? Part of the atmosphere of this game is supposed to be silly and fun with a digital theme, and that's what I was going for with the story. However you say it's inappropriate. Did I get it wrong?

Thanks very much for giving it a spin, I hope to see more of this kind of feedback.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:46:45 PM »

Question: What exactly about the story did you find out of place? Part of the atmosphere of this game is supposed to be silly and fun with a digital theme, and that's what I was going for with the story. However you say it's inappropriate. Did I get it wrong?

Hm, I just found it a little crude and silly. Not silly in a 'haha' way but silly with all the internet memes and such. I'm used to strategy games being pretty serious I guess, I just found that kind of light humour a little inappropriate in the context of war. Not a big deal though since it seems very secondary and out of the way. Just a personal distaste really.
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:27:02 AM »

System requirements:
* A computer
* A recentish video card
* Mouse and keyboard

It would be nice if you listed an operating system.  I meet all of your requirements, but can't run your game.

What would John Carmack do?
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:13:48 AM »

Oops, sorry. Thanks.
Vino
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 07:41:03 AM »

I'd like to get some feedback on the trailer I've designed for Digitanks.

Lots of game developers hang around here so I figure I can get some useful feedback. Does it say enough about the game? Is it informative enough? Is it cool looking enough?
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »

The trailer is extremely cool-looking, and makes me love the graphics of the game. Everything glows in neon colours, stuff explodes awesomely, and it's in full 3D too. Pretty informative too, since it's almost entirely made of in-game footage which gives me a good feel for what the game is like.
It doesn't really explain what's unique about DigiTanks though, and why I should play DigiTanks instead of a different strategy game. I get the feeling you can disable enemy buildings by cutting their supplies off, but I'd like to see a shot of that. The "Direct Hit!" caption seems a bit obnoxious, though I don't know if there's anything that can be done about it. And the phrasing in some of the titles seems odd: basically you use the word "the" too often, which is not particularly dramatic or informative, and makes you sound like your English grammar is a bit off. Sorry if that sounds strange.
And I don't think much of "Hide Your Hardware" either. This isn't a stealth game.

Overall, it's a really great trailer. It gives a good feel for what the game is like - people who will like it will want to play it, people who won't like it will probably still watch the trailer. There were a few parts I didn't like much, but I think that was mostly because I was looking for them. God job!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »

I thought the trailer was very well done. Short and to the point. Good use of sound effects and gameplay too.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 04:21:15 PM »

I thought the trailer was great. I love the way you do the text.

The only thing is, I would say that the GUI is still too in-your-face, particularly the bright white outline. Also the very prominent "download updates" button is a weird thing to show in a trailer (unless it's actually part of the gameplay).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic