Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:22:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSkullz 'n Skeletonz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Skullz 'n Skeletonz  (Read 14665 times)
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »

skulldude talking blinking glowing neon green and also having a highly overshaded body

actual size and game's default size.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »

partial about that little portrait box, it does give the characters a nice video gamey place to reside in, but it also looks like one of those unnecessary neat little things.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 03:18:29 PM »

This might be interesting:

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 04:06:31 AM »

Developer Splash Screens:

1.0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHALJIUM5f0

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »

I'm enjoying seeing this game come along. Are you planning to release the game quite widely, perhaps on Steam? Are you concerned that because the presentation is very retro, and because it's not following a classically standard kind of gameplay, that it might be a hard game for players to approach? I've read the devlog thus far, and if you were to ask me what sort of game it was, I'd probably say "an adventure-type game?" What was the reaction to the first Skulls game like?

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »

Hey there. Very interesting questions. I've been worrying about most of your questions a lot myself.
I'm planning to submit the game to Greenlight once it's in a fairly presentable state and get it on Steam that way.
With games like Undertale, LISA or Downwell fairing quite well on Steam, I'm not particularly worried about the retro aesthetics, especially since I've noticed a lot of design flaws that I've spend a lot of time preventing, like inconsistent pixel size in Undertale or the apparent RPG Maker engine of LISA.
The gameplay, as it is now, might be more of an obstacle, though there's a bunch of big elements that will be a while from now until they become apparent. If I may speak verbosely:

The first game was a point'n'click, well, more like choose'n'pick adventure, focusing on telling a story with lots of choices that ultimately didn't matter and a fake rpg-like fight right where the regular gameplay got a bit boring. I spent about a month developing the original game, with almost no coding skills whatsoever.

This game will be the same, just that I'll take way more time while having gathered a lot of experience since. There'll be the big storyline at heart with lots of choices that will matter greatly this time around. Say, you start on a dirt road, you have 3 directions to go and depending on your choice, you'll experience an entirely different story in a different area with different characters depending and will again be able to choose stuff within those alternate paths, all of which ultimately leading to, say, a city, with your initial choice then having a mild impact on what's to come.
The fake rpg-like fight from the original will turn into a bunch of actual rpg fights, with your characters having stats'n all, though all of which will be somewhat scripted, with no meaningless fight, e.g. random encounters, as I don't want them to serve as filler to the game but a concise addition to the core adventure-like gameplay.

Weirdly, the reaction to the original Skullz was great. I didn't expect anything from it, though it got tens of thousands of plays wherever it was uploaded with loads of favorable comments. That's why I'm confident in this game being successful, as it's basically gonna be the first game, except everything that was fake the first time around is gonna work the way you'd expect it to now, and then some. On top of that, I'm spending ridiculous amounts of time just setting the stage and making sure every detail is perfect. That's why this dev log has been pretty boring thus far. I hope to be done setting up everything and getting to developing the meat of the game soon. Fingers crossed that I'll be satisfied with the font before the 100th iteration.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 04:11:33 AM »

Been able to make my textbox tell when there's how many choices. I feel like taking so much time to set the stage will assure that everything will go way smooth once I'm working on the actual game part.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 04:52:22 AM »

early title screen mockup

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 03:26:11 PM »

made a little game for the bitesizedhorrorjam: https://itch.io/jam/bitesizedhorror/rate/40764

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 06:00:08 AM »

How I learned to stop worrying about the error and love the ghosts:

If you want to try and help me solve this weird error, you can check out either entry in the HaxeFlixel GitHub repo:
No sound on load: [Sound.hx:118: Error]
Sound cutting out after playing 255 times on cpp target

Mr Speaker
Level 0

Mr Speaker: @mrspeaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 07:23:49 AM »

Wow, this game looks beautiful!
Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »

The recent mockup, now ingame with lots of detail refurbishing

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 06:14:07 AM »

UI is design is one part gamedev, two parts autism

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »

Working on the title screen atm, but meanwhile was able to decide on a dither pattern to go for basically the whole game's backgrounds by asking a bunch of people over a couple days:

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2015, 03:04:47 AM »

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 03:25:23 AM »

Just wanted to drop and say I'm watching this thread, I really like the visuals  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2015, 04:17:14 AM »

hey thanks, I'm happy for any kinda response.

Slightly improved and even bigger title screen:

people kept complaining about the gradient of the cliff, never crossed my mind to change it before. Seems like it feels unfinished and badly looking?

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2015, 05:39:32 AM »

Oh hey there! :D

Glad to see this!

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 07:42:48 AM »

Hey fuzzgoddess, knew you had to be on TIG. Beer!

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2015, 08:07:05 AM »

it'll all make sense in the end

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic