Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 02, 2024, 11:48:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesVVVVVV by Terry Cavanagh (Mac/PC/Linux)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: VVVVVV by Terry Cavanagh (Mac/PC/Linux)  (Read 95291 times)
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »

The VVVVVV beta was leaked on 4chan. Cry

I only just discovered it after noticing a big traffic spike and seeing the referrals. I've taken it down. I'm still quite shaken up Sad

That's really awful, I feel for you. I guess one way to look at it, though, as someone else said, is that all the good games get pirated. It proves you've made the big time!
Of course, that's not meant to detract from what must be a real fucker of an experience for you.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 02:22:40 PM »

I'm sorry that one of your 'supporters' decided to do the equivalent of taking a shit on your bed. Sad What a horrible thing to do.

At least the scum seemed to be enjoying it thoroughly.

twitter: @docky
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 02:32:32 PM »

One good thing, I guess, is that this sorta forces me to rush this out, finally. For the last two weeks, since moving home, I've gotten hardly any work done on it. A kick like this is maybe exactly what I needed.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »

from your distractionware comments

A lot of us hadn’t heard this was in production, but we are now very excited to hear any developments on it…except for the part where we have to pay for it.

WTF WTF
PlayMeTape
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »

Looking forward to the full release Terry! It sucks what happened and I understand it's hard to just let go of it but remember it doesn't make your achievements any less admirable!

I promise I'll cough up the money on release, I didn't want to preorder because I didn't want to play an unfinished version.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »

from your distractionware comments

A lot of us hadn’t heard this was in production, but we are now very excited to hear any developments on it…except for the part where we have to pay for it.

WTF WTF
Comments sections are full of trolls and morons. Anyone here who occasionally reads the frontpage should know that.  Cheesy

Having played the beta while it was still available, I can attest that this game is more than worth the (presumably) $10 Terry is charging for it. Hell, it's even more than worth the $20 for the beta.
TheDustin
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 07:39:22 PM »

Cry People can be dicks sometimes.

Having played the beta while it was still available, I can attest that this game is more than worth the (presumably) $10 Terry is charging for it. Hell, it's even more than worth the $20 for the beta

Agreed.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »

Professor Zoom on December 8th, 2009
Just so you know, there are people trying to get the .swf from the beta to work independently.

Personally, I hope they succeed. The fact that you would be “really shaken up” about a leak is downright hilarious. I didn’t think the game was all that fantastic, really–yet another flash platformer. Just didn’t appeal to me. I won’t partake of the people reverse engineering or whatever the .swf, but… well. Enjoy taking people’s curiousity personally. It’ll really get you far in life.

almost as good as the 'edmund mcmillan should just die' comments on the frontpage that happened when a friend of his requested donations for his medical bills when he had to get sudden surgery

soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »

Just so you know, there are people trying to get the .swf from the beta to work independently.

Personally, I hope they succeed. The fact that you would be “really shaken up” about a leak is downright hilarious. I didn’t think the game was all that fantastic, really–yet another flash platformer. Just didn’t appeal to me. I won’t partake of the people reverse engineering or whatever the .swf, but… well. Enjoy taking people’s curiousity personally. It’ll really get you far in life.

almost as good as the 'edmund mcmillan should just die' comments on the frontpage that happened when a friend of his requested donations for his medical bills when he had to get sudden surgery

Agreed here, too - and strongly at that.
It's tough when you pour your time and blood (i.e. life) into something you love to have it reap out with less reward than you set standard. (And throw a fit about money all you want but time is money, bills are bills).

hi
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2009, 02:43:33 PM »

If you've never worked that hard before, you stay slow stupid and lazy.  You think you're entitled to the world and fuck anybody that doesn't love you.

And then you write stupid posts complaining that an indie dev should die or "get over himself."  Pricks.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »

Your game looks really, really nice. The graphics are atmospheric and the gameplay looks tight. I will definitely buy it at some point.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

People to whom creativity isn't worth money don't deserve to consume creative things. That you're somehow entitled to have someone else's work for free - that art isn't "real work" to begin with - is a mindset that's pretty obnoxious and that's probably killing some pretty nice art. Fortunately I think there are a fair number of people who will pay for something even with the knowledge that they could be getting it for free, just because they're not jackasses.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »

Lulz on December 10th, 2009
I find the leak hilarious because you, Mr. Terry Cavanagh, seem to think that pixelated bullshit like this should still be paid for just because you’re the almighty faggot that made it.

lulz

also i don't think he knows what 'pixelated' means

p.s. i can perfectly understand getting upset by things like this, i felt the same way the first time i saw a torrent of ID for instance, but by the time i saw the 20th rapidshare link it didn't have as strong of an emotional impact, so you get used to it.

p.p.s. i bet any amount of money that more than half of the people who say they'll buy it when it's released or buy it when they can afford it never will
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:56:24 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

PlayMeTape
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »

I saw that quote earlier. It's hilariously stupid. I'd actually feel pretty complimented if someone wrote that about me.
raiten
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2009, 04:34:18 PM »

Unfortunately, it seems they succeeded, apparently somebody uploaded it Newgrounds http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/520823 (it's already been taken down though)

I hope this won't impact the sales! Best of luck, Terry!
pgil
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »

p.p.s. i bet any amount of money that more than half of the people who say they'll buy it when it's released or buy it when they can afford it never will

I really hope you're wrong, but I have a feeling you're speaking from experience.

Anyway, captain Buzzkill here motivated me to preorder the game... I've been looking forward to it since I saw the first screenshot, and everything I've heard from people who've played it (other than anonymous trolls) is that it's going to be epic. Beer!
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2009, 05:01:43 PM »

This is why I think you should take a compulsory IQ test before being allowed to access the world.

Fixed. And agreeing on all these points, of course Smiley Cept that Professor guy. Jeeze, i'd be bummed if a mighty professor of zooming or zoomology or .. whateverology tried to shoot me down. Yes. I'dddd be bummed out alright...  Undecided

EDIT: since I am being paid for doing music now, (WOOT) I am actually putting a lot more cash into buying up indie games and donation-ware for the deserved price, and I WILL be buying this fantastic game, after finishing Noitu Love 2 (alas I can't play too many games or I'll forget to finish the Uni degree, stupid degr.. anyway!) Furthermore, the people who say those negative things, are not part of the indie game community, and are a small minority of XBOX Live 13 year olds. So fear not, and so on.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »

@casinclair yeah, i've always thought that piracy hurts the honest customer a lot more than it hurts the developer -- cause it makes them feel that they paid for something others got for free, and kinda makes them feel as if they wasted their money. i hate spending $50 on a game and then having a friend tell me he's playing it after pirating it.

@pgil yeah, experience on both sides of the issue. when i pirate a game, i never buy it afterwards, no matter how much i enjoy it. similarly, plenty of people have pirated my game and told me they'd buy it when they can afford it, and none of them (that i have checked for) ever have. i think it's an element of brain motivation: after you got something, why go through effort to pay for it? that's why credit card bills and debt (personal debt, company debt, national debt) are such a big problem in the economy.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2009, 05:20:01 PM »

I sometimes pirate games for "demo" purposes (I'm not a big fan of "proper" demos). I did this with Dragon Age and bought the game two days after pirating it. I also pirate games that you could only get from Ebay for unrealistic sums of money.
Fuzz
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »

i asked for a free copy of immortal defense (during the 3 buck sale), got it, and then bought it and preordered sd. in a couple of days i'll donate another 25 dollars for every game rpgcreations ever makes. so, while it doesn't often happen that pirates will buy the game they played for free, it occasionally does.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic