Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:08:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSimple music making programs?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Simple music making programs?  (Read 1977 times)
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »

Anyone know of some good programs for music composition? I've been using MadTracker but the interface is kind of a mess. I'd prefer something a little more intuitive.

I'm looking for something that simple, fairly cheap (>$100 is definitely too much), and supports VSTs. I bet there are already 50 other topics like this; feel free to point them out to me.

Feel free to suggest any programs you use if you think they meet this criteria.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »

Personally, for starters, I'd recommend the Linux MultiMedia Studio as a possible and free DAW. It has VST, PAT, SoundFont, and a good deal more plugins for support. Its interface should remind one familiar with FL Studio.

Though it has WAV and OGG exporting, it could easily be converted to MP3 using Audacity and the LAME plugin.

To be blunt, this is the only thing I could think of that is preferrable, super-cheap, and has VST plugin support.
Apricorn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 08:30:18 PM »

well there is modplug tracker Which I have no idea how to use

I would say learn how to use a tracker, then stay with madtracker. Its a great program.

Trackers are really easy once you get the hang of them and I prefer them much more than sequencers like FL studio and LMMS.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 09:31:23 PM »

Thanks guys.

I like trackers, since they have a nice simple interface, but MadTracker has a lot of gross things about the interface, and Renoise is quite unintuitive. Also, I know LMMS pretty well. I like it, but the VST support isn't very good.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »

musagi supports VSTis and is free and also by the guy that make SFXR.

musagi > http://www.drpetter.se/project_musagi.html

Bander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 06:36:36 AM »

wow musagi seems really nice! In my experience its otherwise quite uncommon with completely free, vst compatible music programs with a pianoroll-sequencer layout. (Im not a fan of the tracker style Tongue)

I've been using MU.LAB for quite som time now.

http://www.mutools.com
It's fairly simple, works with asio4all (important if you ask me), and supports vst plugins.
The free version has some few restrictions, but more seems to have been added since i got it though.

Another one that seems good is energyXT http://www.energy-xt.com/, wich Im just about to buy.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic