Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 12:54:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioFirst Soundtrack Retrospective/Critique
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First Soundtrack Retrospective/Critique  (Read 945 times)
NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »

I recently completed my first real game soundtrack, done for an Xbox Live Indie Game that should come out within the next few months. Basically, someone on another forum needed a soundtrack, and despite my lack of experience, I dove right in and gave it a shot. I finished the entire project within a 30-day trial of Ableton Live (then bought it for Christmas). I've linked the SoundCloud set for the soundtrack below for you to listen to and hopefully tell me what should change for any work I do in the future (and if you like it, I'm available for more work!).

I finished each short loop theme basically in the order they're presented, so I feel like the earlier tracks are significantly worse than the later ones, as I learned how to better use the software. So now certain tracks like the City level sound weak to me, but I'm sticking with them. But anyway, what do you guys think?

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »

I listened to the whole album, from beginning to end, and I have to say that, for having little experience writing VGM, you've certainly done well! Still, you do have some things that are holding you back from being the best you can be, so let's try to bring the best out together, no? :-)

(also, because of the fact that you've certainly learned quite a bit from the beginning to the end, I'll just throw out some suggestions that cover the album as a whole)

* First of all, the volume level between tracks, while pretty good, could've been better. Specifically, the Demon's Lair theme was uncomfortably loud compared to the rest.
* Since you're music is very electronic oriented, it behooves you to learn about filters, reverb, delay, all that good stuff. Right now, everything really feels dry, and some reverb and delay will go far to alleviating that. Also, everything feels static, and the instruments could really use some love from filters and other shaping tools.
* Put some love into your boss themes! The ominous 20-second droning loop thing is the worst thing that has happened to game music, and should've been put down in the early Famicom era. Uplifting or not, boss music is supposed to be epic! And it doesn't have to be long, you can still do memorable in 30 seconds. (this isn't really a rant against you as it is about this whole style in general, so don't feel too bad ;-)
* I normally would chide you for your mixing, but it gets better throughout the album, and I can tell you've put thought into it. Good job!
* If you haven't already, I would start focusing on working outside presets, and dipping into the wide world of VSTs and soundfonts.
* And to end on a positive note, thanks for hosting your music on Soundcloud. You've made listening to the album super-convenient, and the fates will reward this. :-)

But those are just my opinions, so feel free to take 'em or leave 'em. Nevertheless, I really think you've got what it takes to stand out against the crowd, and you've got the initiative to do so. Keep practicing! Keep going for these opportunities!
dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »

Sounds great!

NathanielEdwards
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »

Thanks for the comments. I'm learning quickly, and yes, I'm now working on a few of those things you mentioned, Noah. And I'll try to even out the volume levels right now, it didn't matter with the soundtrack itself because volume is apparently set within the programming environment.

Now I'm just dying to get started on something new, but without specific assignments I don't have much focus so I just try to come up with something new every day. Try to come up with enough to actually make a portfolio post.

NathanielEdwards.com for gaming journalism and music. SoundCloud page BandCamp page
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic