Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 05:57:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralthis toy is made of pixel art: Yay Bandai! (EDIT: NOOOOOOO)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: this toy is made of pixel art: Yay Bandai! (EDIT: NOOOOOOO)  (Read 5775 times)
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 12:56:23 AM »

i frequent makezine and all the other maker areas and such, and there's a couple things you could make that people have already done

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKEMS2
(no individually addressable LED's though, what a shame, you can probably do that with a different microcontroller)

monome.org
(maybe if you made a reaaaallllly big one)

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 03:37:48 AM »

One of those led screens with Annabelle's pixel animations on it would be the best gift in the fucking universe. Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 05:20:21 AM »

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I could create a sweet game in the "graphical style" of this.

It might be a much cooler way to have a low resolution game (though I guess it technically wouldn't be low resolution anymore) than the traditional giant square pixel approach.

EDIT: if anyone else wants to try this, they can too; mockups would be cool as well

We need this: a software emulator of this thing which is hooked up to a simple scripting language like Lua so that people can easily create games for it. And I want to make it. But I probably don't have time. Sad
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 05:56:11 AM »

Hey guys, I have the same toy but even more sophisticated, it's right in front of me right now.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 07:47:50 AM »

Hey guys, I have the same toy but even more sophisticated, it's right in front of me right now.
Yeah, but that's like saying HD is better than pixel art (and that's only true sometimes).  Retro's the shit, man!
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 05:31:28 PM »

We need this: a software emulator of this thing which is hooked up to a simple scripting language like Lua so that people can easily create games for it. And I want to make it. But I probably don't have time. Sad

Heh. I figured out a quick and easy way to do something like this anyway, using LÖVE, and I just prototyped a little oldschool shmup. Here's a screenshot:

Huge pixels are fun Beer!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 05:33:39 PM »

Neato Smiley

Are you going to develop it further?  I want to play it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »

Heh. I figured out a quick and easy way to do something like this anyway, using LÖVE, and I just prototyped a little oldschool shmup.
Needs bloom.
Holding this opinion makes me uncomfortable.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 06:01:54 PM »

Sweet; at least something good has come from all this deception!
increpare
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »

Heh. I figured out a quick and easy way to do something like this anyway, using LÖVE, and I just prototyped a little oldschool shmup.
Needs bloom.

Definitely. 

There: MUCH BETTER

Though, we must confess, even without the presence of such an eminent figure, it's still quite a dashingly handsome prototype Muku.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 06:14:58 PM »

Neato Smiley

Are you going to develop it further?  I want to play it.

Ah, I don't know. I'm not really a shmup player, so I doubt I could make a fun one. I mean I could get this one to a playable state and put it out there if you really want it...

Needs bloom.
Holding this opinion makes me uncomfortable.

You know, you're actually right. It's just that I did it in Lua, so I would have to reimplement it in something more sophisticated to make that happen.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 06:22:09 PM »

You know, you're actually right. It's just that I did it in Lua, so I would have to reimplement it in something more sophisticated to make that happen.
You can fake bloom pretty easily with a standard 2D engine. I did this in Fishie. For this game all you'd need to do is create a "flare" bitmap (load your peg image, make image bigger, recenter, gaussian blur), then draw flares over all the pegs with an additive blend. Done!
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »

You can fake bloom pretty easily with a standard 2D engine. I did this in Fishie. For this game all you'd need to do is create a "flare" bitmap (load your peg image, make image bigger, recenter, gaussian blur), then draw flares over all the pegs with an additive blend. Done!

That's clever. I'm gonna try that.

EDIT: Farbs, you truly are a king amongst men! Gentleman

I didn't even have to make a separate flare sprite, I just blended it in with my LED sprite and render everything additively (since I have a black background anyway). So I don't need a second pass.

Actually it looks a bit artifical on the screenshot, but it's very pretty in motion.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:36:09 PM by muku » Logged
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »

arrrrr you should release this so we can play with it too! it looks so nice  Kiss

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 07:04:28 PM »

No problem. Why not.

1. Download sweet, sweet LÖVE. Install it.
2. Download this. (Forum attachments broken? Huh?)
3. Doubleclick it.

Um, I should perhaps mention that there's no collision detection Embarrassed So, this isn't a game at all. Techdemo at best. Also, the code's a fucking mess, a disgrace. You have been warned. It might be too slow for some because I put a hardcoded sleep() in there.

If you want to play with the source, just rename the .love file to a .zip file and unzip it into a folder. You can then start it by dragging the folder onto love.exe.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »

I didn't even have to make a separate flare sprite, I just blended it in with my LED sprite and render everything additively (since I have a black background anyway). So I don't need a second pass.
Oh right, yeah that works.  Grin

If you separate 'em though then you can adjust the flare layer's brightness independently to the LED, which makes it much easier to simulate twinkling. It also means you can have slightly different colours for the two, which again is something I found useful in Fishie.

Boosting the flare on missiles and ships as they take damage would be pretty cool too.
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »

awesome!!  Kiss Kiss
thanks a ton muku!

edit:
If you separate 'em though then you can adjust the flare layer's brightness independently to the LED, which makes it much easier to simulate twinkling.

actually, he's already got some pretty good twinkling going.  you might want to take a look.  you definitely have a point though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:31:13 PM by neon » Logged

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 07:13:53 PM »

Oh right, yeah that works.  Grin

If you separate 'em though then you can adjust the flare layer's brightness independently to the LED, which makes it much easier to simulate twinkling. It also means you can have slightly different colours for the two, which again is something I found useful in Fishie.

Boosting the flare on missiles and ships as they take damage would be pretty cool too.

Dude you are way ahead of me Grin

Great ideas. I'm just a bit wary of performance because this 2d engine doesn't batch quads, so every LED is already in its own glBegin/End batch (I presume at least), and adding separate flares would double that. Plus Lua isn't exactly the fastest thing around. But if I'd reimplement it in D, I'd definitely go down that path.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 07:32:08 PM »

Well, I'm really impressed!  Grin

And I can't seem to upload a new avatar (or even my old one for that matter), so I think forum attachments are broken too.

Do we just ask Derek then?  Or is this someone else's domain.  Not having an avatar isn't cool, and I still haven't chosen which image hosting service I want to use, so I can't fix this problem that way until I make up my mind.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic