Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:00:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHOLY SHIT GUYS CRAZY RUMOURS
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: HOLY SHIT GUYS CRAZY RUMOURS  (Read 5696 times)
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2008, 07:08:26 AM »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09/17/google-to-buy-valve/

Link tells all.

DISCUSS? Cry

olücæbelel
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:12:44 AM »

Sounds like batshit rumors to me. Even if it happens, I doubt Google will do much besides go "Here, have some money and make games, you'll be paying us later."

And it's a tail fin dumbass
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 07:21:33 AM »

As it says there, the original story is from The Inquirer, and the rumors are justified with "WELL PLACED SOURCES tell us..."

Well, we'll see how it goes in the next days, although I'm very skeptical about this.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 07:45:14 AM »

Hum, I personally wouldn't see how it'd change anything if they did, except that it maybe would give Steam some better polish if a bunch of crazy Google programmers work on it.

And the future games from Valve may record our playing habit and suggest new games based on that  :D

But yeah, Google probably has enough money to pretty much by anyone for any price.
Saker
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 07:57:59 AM »

And the future games from Valve may record our playing habit and suggest new games based on that  :D

uh .. am afraid one day we will see google sell underwears and record our ******* actions ... O.o
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »

They'd add unobstrusive ads everywhere while on the game as well, depending on the level you currently are.

medieval
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 08:40:18 AM »

uh .. am afraid one day we will see google sell underwears and record our ******* actions ... O.o

Cry
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:43:36 AM »

And it's a tail fin dumbass
CROTCHDOLPHIN.

I personally don't hold much stock in such rumours - I wonder how the two companies stack up together financially, indeed.

I can't say I enjoy the thought of seeing Google all over my Steam though; besides anything else, I don't find the company name very charming. But mostly, I don't want Google's ads. I also don't want to see "LATEST TF2 UPDATE: MEDICS NOW HAVE A GOOGLE TOOLBAR ON THEIR FOREHEADS". Tongue

I'm sure it won't come to that, and I agree the Steam UI could use an overhaul - but if Google are prepared to buy Valve......they have something up their sleeves. And, judging by how I react to other Google software, I won't like it. Wink

olücæbelel
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 09:06:54 AM »

Although I guess it's only a matter of time until Google ventures into the gaming, or at least online-gaming (as part of the internet, which they are so clearly conquering).

In fact, it WOULD make sense if they want Steam for their whole taking over the internet scheme, as the probably biggest online game distribution platform, although with Google I would have much rather suspected that they make their OWN instead of buying one (as witnessed with Android OS and Chrome).
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »

Although I guess it's only a matter of time until Google ventures into the gaming, or at least online-gaming (as part of the internet, which they are so clearly conquering).

In fact, it WOULD make sense if they want Steam for their whole taking over the internet scheme, as the probably biggest online game distribution platform, although with Google I would have much rather suspected that they make their OWN instead of buying one (as witnessed with Android OS and Chrome).

Open sourceness is a must for them developing things, given they don't like coding thigns from scartch. That's why they assimilate instead.

coderneedsfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »

seems like google would want in on Steam , i can't see them putting adds in game , maybe while a level loads or in the Steam front end , it would make a lot of sense and think of it this way , if they can profit from Steam then Maybe just Maybe Valve games will be cheaper to the end user ( with adds ) or normal price without ..

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »

My understanding is that they make the teams they acquire rewrite their products to fit into the google system. Doing that for steam might be more trouble than it's worth.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Gnarf
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

Steam is real nice. Google gives me tons of awesome shit for free.

No idea if it's likely or whatever or what it'd really mean. Doubt I'd mind much though.
medieval
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 09:32:47 AM »

Meeh. Google will never conquer TIGSource.
Corpus
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 09:35:19 AM »

Hey, guys, look. Medieval just jinxed the forums.

Sarcastic clap time.

Also I hope it doesn't happen because Valve are lovely as they are.
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 11:36:42 AM »

I doubt it. But if it does happen, Google probably want to use Steam. Maybe even for non-video game things. Although seeing as Google don't tend to make you pay for things, I doubt it will happen.

Don't Valve games already record some gameplay metrics?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »

Valve is the only developer I can justify being a fanboy of.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 01:19:17 PM »

It seems unlikely. The "well placed sources" equal bullshit. And I don't see Google getting into gaming. Maybe into online casual games, maybe into a Steam-like site to sell games, but not into actual game development.

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »

I could possibly see Google buying Steam, but not Valve themselves.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »

seems like google would want in on Steam , i can't see them putting adds in game , maybe while a level loads or in the Steam front end , it would make a lot of sense and think of it this way , if they can profit from Steam then Maybe just Maybe Valve games will be cheaper to the end user ( with adds ) or normal price without ..

See, I thought about that, and then I thought: what does that mean for the indie developer? Less of a cut for them? Say Valve puts the games down to a lower price, but if they don't raise the percentage cut that devs receive, then truly it is only the devs who miss out; gamers pay less, Steam still get the same amount (due to Google funding), but devs get less. Presumably, though, they would either raise the cut or have some funding from google straight to the devs.

Also, I agree with Corpus and Tantan; Valve are excellent as they are, I just can't see any changes Google would make as being for the better.

That said, of course, I doubt it's going to happen anyway :D

olücæbelel
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic