Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:52:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralForce Unleashed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Force Unleashed  (Read 1498 times)
Renton
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:39:42 AM »

So, anyone played this yet?
I rented it and finished it in about 6 hours and it was the most repetitive* 6 hours of my life. Sure the visuals and the new engine was good but it wasn't enough. The plot was thinner than paper and the dialogs were badly written and rehashed from the other films (SPOILER: Main character says "You killed my father"). It was God of War with force powers. You had to repeatedly* kill the same mid-level boss (an AT-ST or a rancor) about 5 or 6 times and the boss battles were the exactly the same, pretty much only the enemy model and the background changes. Melee is pretty boring, half the enemies are impossible to kill with the lightsaber since they can block your every single saber attack with their knifes, sticks and cattle prods.

Anyway, it just seemed like an excuse for Lucas to show his shiny new physics engine. At first it impresses, but after the third time you go around the same planets, the fun is lost in all the mindlessly repeating* hack-and-slash and badly written plot.

*The game is more repetitive than this post
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:49:20 AM by Renton » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:37:24 AM »

My friend said the same thing about it. He also mentioned how you could farm very easily for a few specific abilities in order to make all of the game a cakewalk, and how some upgrades are imbalanced or just plain stupid/disnecessary.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 04:38:42 AM »

WARNING, MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR THE GAME AHEAD IF YOU CARE

I too finished it on the same day I got it (bought it) but while I agree it had it repetitive parts it also was a lot of fun, imo. Maybe I'm just easier to please, but I never got tired of electrocuting and flinging people around. And while the Jedi-bosses weren't exactly the most complex of battles, it was the best Jedi vs. Jedi (or Sith, whatever) action I had in a good while. Most fun was probably the very first level though, with Vader.

I guess you just gotta be creative on how to use force powers to kill stuff. Did you know you could charge up people you gripped with electricity and them use them as bombs? xD
There are some neat combos, too, but I didn't bother unlocking and memorizing them all

That the story is rather shallow was kind of to be expected though, but except for the cheesy parts I enjoyed it, mostly because of all the pretty graphics versions of Vader and the Emperor. I liked how Vader was a total asshole, too. And I liked how it took you to some locations that weren't entirely exploited in other Star Wars franchises already, like a Sarlacc belly, or whole Felucia in general. And while the Star Destroyer boss battle was kind of cumbersome, it was also totally epic, just as it was to beat Darth Vader to a pulp :D

The Jedi you pursued at least had somewhat of a likeable personality each, too, especially that junkyard one was hilarious (junk-Yoda, anyone?), although I really didn't like how they basically just dropped that Maris girl after the fight.

The whole Starkiller <> Eclipse thing was pretty unnecessary and forced though.

What I have to totally agree on, though, is that the whole game is basically one big showoff for their physics engine, especially Felucia with all its wobbliness. Not that I mind, though, I love to be treated with some mindless pretty graphics and physics now and then.

Also, I noticed how they squeezed in some "recurring elements" just to please the fanboys. The whole father-son thing was probably the most obvious, as you mentioned. Especially when Vader said "I will kill you, just as I killed your father". Hurrr. And I think 90% of the Force Unleashed soundtrack is compromised of the Imperial Marsh.
The other pretty obvious thing was when Proxy got out his Darth Maul form. They totally put that scene for the sole purpose of playing the epic music from Episode 1 again.

But other than that I really liked the game, and I'm probably going to play it a few more times again, too. Maybe with cheats, so I can mess around with full force powers early on already. And I want to get that black lightsaber.

Somebody from another community told me he heard the game is pretty much only for Star Wars fans, as the game itself isn't that good. While I personally enjoyed the game a lot, without being a major Star Wars fan, I guess that's what it runs down to in the end, like with almost any other Star Wars game xD
Souseiseki
Level 0

so fackin pised of

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:47:35 AM »

The hero is generic and has very short to nearly bald hair. Standard, run of the mill Vin Diesel wannabe hero.

That was a huge turnoff for me. Even worse is his facial expressions, some of the worst uncanny valley i've seen in a video game.

$
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:55:30 AM »

The hero is generic and has very short to nearly bald hair. Standard, run of the mill Vin Diesel wannabe hero.

That was a huge turnoff for me. Even worse is his facial expressions, some of the worst uncanny valley i've seen in a video game.

He's not a Vin Diesel type of character, more a Luke/older Anakin kind of character.
Souseiseki
Level 0

so fackin pised of

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »

He's not a Vin Diesel type of character, more a Luke/older Anakin kind of character.
If only that was true, the hero would be a hairy whiny kid and not an almost-bald 30 something unrealistically being lost

$
Renton
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »

The actor who played the character, Sam Witwer, wears his hair like that. I hate the guy, I hated him on BSG, hated him on Dexter. One thing he's not, however, is a Vin Diesel wannabe hero.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic