Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 05:48:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Trilby
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Trilby  (Read 103790 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »

Because, like you said, it's extra work. If, after we've completed a few milestones, we decide to give each character multiple costumes, we can add something like that.

shig
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 02:42:38 PM »

I had this idea after thinking about what is the difference between Trilby's flit and Nikujin's after slash:

Flit should be really fast, have a pretty long range do minimal damage and no knockback. If he misses, he would be left wide open due to a huge end lag. If he hits, though, he would be able to cancel the end lag with any other attack (except another flit). Meaning that he would be able to flit PAST the opponent, and then hit him from behind while they are still stunned from the last hit.
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 07:37:15 PM »

Chutup, could you get me in touch with Yathzee?
Seeing as he is the only "outside" dev, that has shown a fair ammount of interest, i think its only fair that we show the same ammount of care.
Ill take it upon myself to properly adapt Trilby, both trying to please the original creator, and the good peeps of Tigersource  Gentleman (on a reasonable level tho).

So...ill work on Trilby on whatever time i get free, i doubt it should take too long with dedicated time.

Hence, id like to talk to him, get a few pointers, maybe he can wip out a more "detailed" concept art to work with, etc.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 09:18:39 PM »

His email is [email protected]. He's already seen your sprite, so it should be cool if you just introduce yourself and tell him you're working on Indie Brawl. Is that OK?

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »

Good initiative Oracle! Working with the developer, rather than apart. Rather Genteel of you.  Gentleman

On Flit: seems to me as though Flit should be defensive, whereas Ninkujin's Slash offensive. In game, Flit was all about getting out of a fix damned quickly - Trilby should play far more defensively than the other characters, using speed and deception to get the upper hand. Ninkujin, on the other hand, is all about hounding his opponent, keeping a combo running. I think Flit hitting should be an added bonus, not a necessity - the real point of it should be evading an attack or getting behind a foe.

Whaddya all say?
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 12:19:52 AM »

That seems a little too like smoke bomb though.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 12:52:44 AM »

You could possibly make that less so if you made flit shorter, while Smoke Bomb is longer. Flit is like an extended dodge, while Smoke Bomb really gives the opponent time to go "Oh shitknickers, where's he going to come from?"

Might not work though. If Smoke Bomb is too slow it could be useless because the enemy could just get away from the whole area.

Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 08:24:11 AM »

His email is [email protected]. He's already seen your sprite, so it should be cool if you just introduce yourself and tell him you're working on Indie Brawl. Is that OK?

Yeah, thats fine, i'll contact him during the week.
Thanks a bunch  Beer!.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »

"shitknickers"? WTF

I still like the idea of flit being sort of like Falco's side B (I think) from SSBB. I mean, this is a brawler game after all.

I'm downloading The Art of Theft now, so yeah.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 11:24:49 PM »

I still think the smoke bomb should find a safe place, over the ground, within a certain radius, and put the player there. You'd reappear well marked in a puff of smoke, maybe even a light trail of smoke from your previous to current position, so you'd never lose yourself. Maybe you'd be able to control the general direction of the area you wanted to appear in, but there would still be some amount of computation as to your destination, the whole thing being it would never put you in a place of any danger, like near a (active) level hazard or dangerous item. Maybe it would even smartly seek out foes in the direction you press to bring you as close to them as possible, and anyone caught in either smoke cloud - the one of disappearance or reappearance, would be hurt and temporarily stunned. If a neutral direction is chosen, that is, no further input beyond the initial buttonpresses, it brings you to the place it deems "safest." At least that's how I picture it.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 11:38:45 PM »

DIFFICULT! BORDERING ON IMPLAUSIBLE!

Yeah, that. Also, we want to give more control to the player, not less. If it's how chutup said (i.e. press a direction and go a set distance in that direction), then experienced players will be able to use it extremely effectively, while inexperienced players will run into traps.

What I'm trying to say is, I think Trilby should require more finesse and experience to use effectively, seeing as he is a cat burglar who needs to use every trick he has to avoid being pummelled by stronger characters.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:42:51 PM by Rory » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2008, 02:13:46 AM »

Yeah, I think giving the player control, and what's more predictable control, is very important in a fighting game. Besides, I don't see the point of escaping to a 'safe' location - Trilby has no projectiles, so he's just going to have to get close to the enemy again after he escapes. I mean, in a fighting game, a defensive character fights by biding his time and countering opponents' attacks - not by actually running away.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2008, 02:47:23 AM »

Mm, I was thinking about this - Expert Characters vs. Casual Characters. I mean, it'd be great if both were as satisfying to use as each other, but there should be a group of characters who would be... harder to master. I'm thinking Trilby would be one of them, and maybe Lyle? Also Curly when we get around to her, but now I'm tangenting.

ANYWAY, I'm going to go for Chutup's suggest - should be all about timing and prediction.

BUT: We really have to have a good playtest first. I mean, if Trilby needs an ability that makes him excape to genuine safety, take a breather, it should be in there.
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2008, 05:09:47 AM »

Mm, I was thinking about this - Expert Characters vs. Casual Characters. I mean, it'd be great if both were as satisfying to use as each other, but there should be a group of characters who would be... harder to master.

I agree. I think it gives a game more in the way of replay value as well, wanting to learn how to use a more difficult character after mastering an easier one.
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »

I think Turner was suposed to be hard to master character defensive character.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2008, 11:11:17 PM »

Not really. I think his focus is melee, though he does have a counter.

medieval
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2008, 03:52:59 AM »

What tools do people generally use for animating their pixels? I mean, as in being able to export it into an animated .GIF ? I want to take a jump in the deep and make an idle or walking animation for Trilby.
Oracle
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2008, 07:17:30 AM »

What tools do people generally use for animating their pixels? I mean, as in being able to export it into an animated .GIF ? I want to take a jump in the deep and make an idle or walking animation for Trilby.

I use Animation Shop 3, that comes bundled with Paint Shop Pro 7, but mostly because im so used to it.
The best alternative (and pretty cheap i may add) is Promotion.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2008, 07:43:28 AM »

The GIMP isn't the best sprite editor, but it's free, so you might want to look into that.

medieval
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 07:43:41 AM »

Forget about me animating for now-- I don't even know where to start.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic