Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 04:23:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNo Time To Explain
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: No Time To Explain  (Read 10289 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 01:57:05 AM »

You hardly slide around from momentum at all on the ground, so you must be talkin about something else.
I may have released the directional button before I landed - still an issue, IMO.

Maph
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 07:15:54 AM »

Hah, that was fun. I agree that the controls are a bit tough to master though.
Cool game otherwise!

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 08:31:59 AM »

You hardly slide around from momentum at all on the ground, so you must be talkin about something else.
I may have released the directional button before I landed - still an issue, IMO.

OH yeah, yea I forgot about that. That's the main cause of weirdness with the controls.
You get pushed around by the laser in the air- but ontop of that, you can also move left n right like in Mario or Meat Boy or whatever. So it leads to weird momentum issues where it seems like you're not moving at all but you actually are.

I just tried cutting out air control while you're beaming, cuttin it out completely, losing momentum when you stop, all sorts of stuff. Anythin else I come up with is way more confusing than what's in there now.

EDIT- You now slide on the ground a whole lot less.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 09:30:32 AM »

Haha that was awesome. Where was this dinosaur teleport everyone is blabbering on about? Loved the music and the lines, few though they were.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »

When you come out of the cave, try to blast yourself as far as you possibly can across that gap. There's a second route.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »

Yeah i thought it might be that, but i tried a few times and gave up Smiley
rogerlevy
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 10:28:19 AM »

i got stuck at the really long underground chasm with the hole leading to the surface.
Reggie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »

Wait, the Dino Teleport is something you need to find? I thought you had to get it to continue, I didn't see another path.
RandyO
Level 0

I should laugh out loud more.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »

awesome setup, great mood and humorous and all that.  but yeah, controls are tough.  I would land and then slide just that little bit further to fall off something.

the other thing I noticed was it seemed like if you fired your laser when you were at the apex of your jump, it did very little, whereas if you were just starting the jump it helped a lot more.  I'd rather be able to fire the laser at any time and have the same boost to my speed.  that's how it felt to me at least.

but great premise, really catchy and funny and would love to see it played out into a bigger game.

rogerlevy
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 05:05:21 AM »

i forgot to mention, i was frustrated that my mouse kept leaving the window a lot, causing me to die.  i think the problem is that the game window is too small.  maybe (at least on PC, this looks like it's destined for iPhone), you might up the zoom level one pixel?
Fyren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 12:16:31 PM »

I enjoyed this.  As mentioned by someone earlier, it would be much easier to control if your player stayed centered in the screen.  I found myself shooting off to the sides a lot because the player would shift when I moved.

Are there more teleports than glasses and dinosaurs?
BoxedLunch
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »

everyone knows glasses teleport is where it's at. Cool
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »

Lasers, dinosaurs and doc brown. Enough said.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »

I hate that input lag.

And where did Future!me get those epic sunglasses from? I want them very badly. Or do you find them when you go through the dinosaur teleport?
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 11:57:03 PM »

OH yeah, yea I forgot about that. That's the main cause of weirdness with the controls.
You get pushed around by the laser in the air- but ontop of that, you can also move left n right like in Mario or Meat Boy or whatever. So it leads to weird momentum issues where it seems like you're not moving at all but you actually are.

I just tried cutting out air control while you're beaming, cuttin it out completely, losing momentum when you stop, all sorts of stuff. Anythin else I come up with is way more confusing than what's in there now.

EDIT- You now slide on the ground a whole lot less.
If you model it physically, so the player movement in the air gives him acceleration instead of directly modifying his position, or setting the velocity momentarily, it should help - that way when you let go of a control, the previous velocity will not be restored.

So rather than e.g.
Code:
velocityx = playervelocityx
if (left is pressed) velocityx = velocityx - 5
playerpositionx = playerpositionx - velocityx
or
Code:
velocityx = playervelocityx // velocity caused by laser
playerpositionx = playerpositionx - velocityx
if (left is pressed) playerpositionx = playerpositionx - 1
you'd have
Code:
// accelerate the player to the left in the air, but not if he's already going a certain speed
if (left is pressed and playervelocityx > -10) playervelocityx = playervelocityx - 2
playerpositionx = playerpositionx - playervelocityx

Also IMO this is a lesser problem - the MAIN cause with the controls weirdness is not this but the aiming. Centre the player in the screen and it'll fix that completely, I think.

snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 07:52:44 AM »

It's unwinnable if you jump over the gun instead of picking it up. And jumping out the window while the guy is yelling "Use the arrow keys to move!" duplicates him temporarily.
Twitch
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 12:53:39 AM »

This game is awesome, great concept and execution! I love the constant screams your future-self makes as he's carried away by the crab - or dinosaur. It's just long enough to stay novel and interesting the entire way through.

My only gripe is the frustratingly difficult laser controls. Being able to use the number pad, or WSAD, or even turning it and having a fire key, would make the game alot easier, and thus more fun, to play.

All up though, fantastically entertaining game!
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2010, 05:35:37 AM »

I can't seem to find the glasses. Do they even exist?
benbradley
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2010, 05:51:30 AM »

Brilliant plot. That's all the incentive you ever need to do anything. If the opening 10 seconds actually happened, hell, I'd do whatever it took.  Crazy

I agree about the controls. Being able to control one type of movement with two different inputs like this is very powerful and there's lots of oppurtunity but I felt like it got too hard too fast because the controls were hard to judge. I agree about centering the player in the screen.
Johnman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 12:44:23 PM »

The link! The link is broken! Fix it please! Beg
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic