Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 06:36:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWarsoup
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Warsoup  (Read 3588 times)
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 05:57:34 AM »

on the hotkey thing.. it's like you're saying quake3 and unreal tournament are doing it wrong? i guess they are terrible pro competition games Tongue

anyway, had a look at the ice level, it looks really nice Smiley the characters are awesome too. I couldn't figure out much beyond running about and looking at stuff- how do you get more ammo?

I'm not totally sure I do get the upgrade circle- I upgraded the tf2 turret but what do I do once it's upgraded? do I have to be on one of the cylinder things to place it? You might want to be careful using analogies from other games when the functionality actually works differently, even for placeholder icons. I'm used to placing my turret where I like whenever, by selecting from my weapon slots

only other thing I noticed, It was hard to make out the ammo counter on the plasma rifle

look forward to playing more!

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 06:04:59 AM »

Did anyone say "Splitscreen for the PC"!?? :D
WANT!
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 06:10:23 AM »

on the hotkey thing.. it's like you're saying quake3 and unreal tournament are doing it wrong? i guess they are terrible pro competition games Tongue

Those games are over 10 years old now and yes, I do think they did a lot of things wrong. Giving the player too many options and letting him configure system internals, etc. is not doing anyone a favor. If you look at pro quake players, all of them play with turned down graphics and texture settings that make the players immediately visible. We decided we'd choose that as our art direction from the start and not give pro players this advantage over other players.

anyway, had a look at the ice level, it looks really nice Smiley the characters are awesome too. I couldn't figure out much beyond running about and looking at stuff- how do you get more ammo?

Movement / Weapons:

WSAD - Move
LMB - Fire
RMB - Radial Menu / Build
MMB - Zoom (if accuracy upgrade has been purchased)
Space - Jump
E - Grenade
R - Reload
Q - Buy Ammo
1, 2, 3 - Change Weapons
F - Switch from Deferred to Forward Rendering
ALT+F4 - Quit

Cheats:

U - Get all Upgrades
I - Instant Research
M - Get 100 resources

Just press Q Smiley

Having to buy ammo is part of the RTS elements. It's the equivalent to your supply - you can't rush an enemy or just go and attack if you can't sustain the attack. You need to make sure that you build up your economy, so that you can buy more clips while you're attacking.

I'm not totally sure I do get the upgrade circle- I upgraded the tf2 turret but what do I do once it's upgraded? do I have to be on one of the cylinder things to place it? You might want to be careful using analogies from other games when the functionality actually works differently, even for placeholder icons. I'm used to placing my turret where I like whenever, by selecting from my weapon slots

Sorry, forgot to mention that you can't build turrets in this build yet. You'll just pick the turret from the radialMenu and it'll build right in front of you. You'll be able to place turrets wherever you like!

only other thing I noticed, It was hard to make out the ammo counter on the plasma rifle

look forward to playing more!

Awesome! We're still playing around with postProcessing settings.

Thanks for you feedback guys, can't wait to hear some more. Make sure you guys try all the upgrades (DoubleJump, ChargeJump, etc.), mix them together (Dash (shift on the keyboard) + ChargeJump is pretty awesome already) and get a feel for it.

We're currently polishing everything, so that there are more messages and it's clearer where you can build stuff, when you're out of resources, etc. - it's certainly not easy to create a design that everyone understands right away Smiley

thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 06:13:49 AM »

Did anyone say "Splitscreen for the PC"!?? :D
WANT!

Absolutely. The idea is that you can just hook your controller to your laptop, hook the laptop to the TV and boom, you can play local multiplayer matches right from your couch. Getting a Xbox Connector and using a couple of Xbox or PS3 controllers is simple enough nowadays Smiley

We'll also create a webPlayer build, so that peeps can play Warsoup during their lunch hours by just heading to Warsoup.com.

Implementing splitscreen was actually quite a ride, I'm guessing that's why so many other games don't do it (Medal of Honor, Killzone, etc.) - you have to make sure that all the UI elements and all the scripts that put graphics or models into place work with splitscreen in mind.

What that also enabled us to do is to create the 'uplink': Say you play 2v2. Instead of just using voice to coordinate with your ally, you'll be able to see exactly what your buddy is doing in the lower right corner of the screen. You'll also be able to use the Uplink for other stuff, like placing remote mines with cameras that can be exploded if an enemy comes near Smiley

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 06:15:50 AM »

ah, you see i only got halfway through reading the controls when the level loaded Smiley
maybe add a click to continue on the loading screen once it's loaded, so you can continue reading? I pressed escape to try check the controls but it sort of minimised the game into this 0 size window in the middle of my screen

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 06:17:20 AM »

That's a good idea, we'll add that to the next build. Thanks!

Yeah, we know about the ESC thing. We're currently working on the inputManager and the ingameMenu, so you can change settings and stuff by pressing ESC during the game.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »

...we don't want to give users full keyboard customizability or other stuff like access to the camera FOV, etc. - I always hated that in other games. We don't want to give anyone a competetive advantage just because of a custom config.

What we will do is to automatically support game controllers right off the bat...

This is like DRM: It will only inconvenience those who want to abide by the rules. Because anyone else will get one of these gaming keypads which are fully configurable, and what game controller isn't configurable with key mapping in the control panel anyway?

Also, "support game controllers" (if plural) is a direct contradiction to your previous statement, unless what you meant was that you will ONLY support the 360 gamepad using Microsoft's official drivers.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 02:51:35 PM »

And just like DRM, it can be circumvented. Especially with super powerful keyboard macro programs like AutoHotKey.
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »

I didn't think that you guys would be so concerned about editing hotkeys.

Anyway, as I said, if the community wants it, the community gets it. Hotkey support is an easy thing to add and if people want it, we'll add it.

We're almost done with the vertical slice. We just added a little tutorial map that replaces the 'mechanics demo', where you can run around, test the game mechanics and being taught the games basic concept.

@eobet: We're currently fully supporting the keyboard and just today added in full support for the 360 controller. We also added some aim assist, so now it feels a lot like Halo / CoD on the Xbox. There's actually a lot that goes into making the controller work nicely and feel good for aiming, etc. - I love hearing reviewers saying that gameXY doesn't use any AimAssist. Without some smart code aiming feels like absolute crap using a controller. But we managed to get something sweet, now it feels really neat. Can't wait to hear feedback from a bigger mass of people.

We're using Xinput atm. We'll see if we can add PS3 Controller Support later on.

I'll be making some videos showing gameplay features really soon.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 03:24:38 PM »

Did I miss something? The forum icon states Mac compability but I just downloaded it and all I see is a .exe file and a data folder...

thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 03:41:41 PM »

Warsoup works on the mac, but the current dev version is windows only.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:34:13 AM by thomasmahler » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic