Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 04:00:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting"We hate the society" -prototype
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "We hate the society" -prototype  (Read 1432 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »

Some random info
So about a week ago I started to prototype a rather small arcadeish game idea where player controls two young teenagers who get bored hate the society and want to show their discontent by some activism and take a car and go batting people's mailboxes off with baseballbat while driving. Naturally the mailboxes are explosive just like pretty much everything else in the game will be.

Some important info
Swing your baseballbat with mouse to send mailboxes flying while avoiding explosions and collecting hiscores. Controls can be read with F1.

Game is just prototype with nonexixtent gfx and I'd like to hear what you think about the mechanics and do you think this could be fun. Ideas are welcome too.

Download proto.zip
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:23:32 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »

(edit: I'm leaving this paragraph because like many people won't do, I didn't read your blurb and just played the game Smiley maybe make car the default? some onscreen controls or f1= controls is always a good idea to avoid this issue)
first reaction is I found it hard to control the bat- I really think the center of the mouse swing should be the origin of the red line, not the center of the screen- it took me a while to work out where the swing origin was, if it wasn't at the car

secondly, I didn't understand the freeze mechanic, I thought it was a bug- imo, I think it's fine to penalize the player for swinging too wildly all the time, but I reckon it's too long taking away control at the mo- just waiting till it refils too 100 would work, and I would flash the energy reading to show it's locked on purpose (and maybe the bat too, incase the link is not made yet between the energy and bat. I figured it was debug info to begin with)

definately some fun potential in there though, i always like bashing stuff with physics sticks. For me it's not yet at the point to give a definitive answer on if you should fully develop tho. Agree polishing the graphics is a mistake in prototypes, but polishing the user experience isn't- you don't want people dismissing the gameplay when it's some interface or other issue clouding the experience. Look forward to seeing it develop!

ooh, also for ideas: I personally would look for another answer than freezing the controls to prevent random swing play behaviour. Maybe give targets to try and bash the mailboxes into, or things you want to avoid hitting mixed in- not sure yet, but I think brainstorming some other solutions would serve you well

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »

Thanks for feedback! I shortened the first post, added F1 instructions and changed default origin to the origin of the bat.

I think you are right about the energy mechanism, and I have to admit that I just added something to the game when I noticed how mad swinging could ruin the challenge. Later when I'll introduce more enemies and objects, chaining explosions or using mailboxes etc. as a flying weapons should become more prominent. Be the final solution whatever, I think you are right and eventually some visual/audio cues will be added to the freezing system, that's is if it's not completely replaced by other method Smiley

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »

hey man, it's the same guy I just changed my name Smiley

i tried the new one, and I think maybe there *is a bug. After exhausting my energy the controls froze, but they stayed frozen for 20 seconds and counting.. maybe you need to check how you're handling freezing the controls? that sounds way too long to be on purpose

secondly, I thought I would quite like to try this control scheme:
dragging mouse left winds the bar clockwise, and dragging right winds it anti-clockwise.
it doesn't matter where on the screen you do this- it takes about 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen width to do a full rotation. you could lock it at 12 o'clock if you want to prefent spamming so people have to wind back for new hits.

I found in the heat of the game, winding the mouse around a pivot gets quite hard to focus on. I think if I was just whacking the mouse left and right and the pole rotation was taken care of for me, I'd probably enjoy it more.

look forward to updates!

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »

Thanks. I noticed the bug sometime ago but haven't had time to look into game and have forgotten checking this topic too Sad

Thanks for the control idea, I think I'll try it out soon. Smiley Another problem I'm having is the theme of the game. I'm not very happy about current one. I have thought about somekind "ugly" invaders creatures which chase some cute creatures or maybe just survival with storybookish graphics but haven't invented cute or otherwise nice characters yet except some baddie concepts. Any ideas for setting/theme?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic