Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 08:26:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLost & Found
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lost & Found  (Read 1426 times)
Dinomyte_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2010, 05:37:39 AM »

Lost & Found is a game which was made as an experiment to see what I would be capable of creating all by myself in six weeks. The game is about a girl lost on another planet where she makes an unlikely friend: a fallen star! Together they have to help each other find a way home.

The game draws inspiration from 2d platformer games aswell as point and click adventure games. These two gameplay styles are manifested in the game as the two protagonists: the lost girl and the fallen star. The player controls bots characters at the same time to solve puzzles and explore a dark and mysterious world...

This is the first game where I didn't collaborate with anyone else which made it a great learning experience. It's also the first game I programmed using C# and it's my second completed Unity game.

You can download it from my portfolio (the game takes about 10 minutes to play through): www.danielnordlander.com
Trailer:

Any and all feedback / criticism is welcome! 
Redien
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »

Hi!
I quite enjoyed playing it through. I especially like how the graphical style makes it feel like a pop-up book, it fits the type of game very well. Smiley

However I got stuck when you had to do some longer jumps especially at the first gap in the beginning as well as inside the cave. It didn't feel like I had great control over the jumps and it was more annoying than fun. Also when the star began to loose light, you might want to consider making the star itself a bit darker to give the player some feedback as to what is happening, because at first I thought it was just a visual glitch.

I really like the mechanic of controlling the environment using the star, feels like it could make some great puzzles. Smiley

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »

about the star brightness I also assumed it was a bug, because there's nothing to introduce the player to that mechanic

I'll echo the jumping comment, I played the game with shift held down more or less, I think run should just be the default and do away with the button- also I'd add a bit of height to the jump.

Also found spinning the windmills somewhat tricky, because you have a mouse pointer which isn't really where you're mouse is- it gets stuck on things you try to pass through. So I found with the spinning bits i'd lose track a bit of where the ball was and it'd spin all the way back. One thing you could do to make this more pleasant is when you let go of a spinner, make it start slow then gradually speed up. Then if you happen to accidentally let go you don't lose as much progress.

Anyway, with these gripes aside, I loved it- great work for a month and a half. For me two things really shine which I would focus on more if you continue the idea;

1: moving things directly with the mouse
I'm not talking about the spinners, I mean just literally shunting the trees and rocks about. I'd like to see this as a more prominent mechanic, for example moving platforms while the character is stood on them, or pushing heavy objects onto pulleys to move lifts etc- its fun to directly mess with the environment your character inhabits

2: the visual effect of lighting the way for the character. I don't really care for the fading mechanic (don't think it adds any value), but lighting the path with the mouse is refreshing and makes for great visuals

nice work!

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
killertoaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:07:23 PM »

Really liked the style of the game and the main mechanic was fun to play with.

I didn't really get why the star faded though, didn't cause that much trouble because it happened close to the end, but I couldn't really figure it out and made some of the jumps kind of blind.

I ran into a bug the first time I played when I fell into the cave at the first jumping section with the stalagmites, I feel between two of the platforms and out of the cave and then didn't respawn, just showed a sunset background and the star still falling.

Also, its not really a problem, but the game comes up on the taskbar as "Knytt-Samorost". The inspiration I presume?
Dinomyte_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:23:49 AM »

Thank you for the feedback and all the great suggestions! The idea with the fade mechanic is that the player has to charge up the star's light by holding it close to any of the small pointy things spread throughout the cave but I agree that I don't really give enough feedback to the player about how it works which makes it quite frustrating when you play it. I added this feature because I wanted to encourage the player to move the star around in the cave while also forcing him to leave the girl in the darkness to mix up the gameplay a little bit. Do you think a better solution would be to make the star always have light and then have it be able to charge up the small pointy things with light instead? Or remove the mechanic altogether? I'm just worried that the cave section would become a little stale if I remove it.

Letting the spinners gradually speed up is a great idea, I'm gonna add that for sure!
The jump is definitely something I want to adjust as well, and I'm also going to adjust some of the platforming sections to be a little bit less unforgiving.

And yeah Knytt-Samorost was the working name for the project since I wanted to mix the gameplay styles of those two games, must've forgotten to rename it somewhere lol

Anyway thanks again, you guys deserve a beer for helping me out:  Beer! 
Cheers!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic