Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 06:09:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFactorium
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Factorium  (Read 1428 times)
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »

Description:
Use your diverse arsenal to battle robot plant hybrids! Features 8 unique actions and an online high score board. Manage your weapons while avoiding peril!

I'm interested to any feedback regarding the "drag & drop" attack system the game is built around. Is it too ackward? Just right? I'm interested in using a similiar mechanic for future games, but I'm not sure it's something players are really interested in Tongue

Screenshot:

Download:
http://lazybraingames.wordpress.com/factorium/

Thanks for playing!

-Johnny B.

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 04:05:10 PM »

Just played through it! My thoughts:

• The score-chits were slightly too hard to collect - you seemed to have to hit their center (the spinny thing, not the glowy aura) with the center of your body. Maybe make that more generous?
  • The player's hitbox seemed slightly too large - most shmups have enemies / shots collide with a single pixel at the center of the player's body, but this seemed to have collision with the player sprite's entire bounding box. Tighten that up a little?
  • Killing frozen enemies seemed to give a large points bonus. If I wasn't imagining that, it was a nice touch.
  • The slow introduction of new abilities kept me from feeling too overwhelmed. Good design!
  • The missile-launching eyeballs that show up in the top-left confused me briefly - I wasn't sure if they were UI or not until they started shooting. (I was wondering if I'd maybe gotten some new ability, a bomb...?) If they were in the bottom-left, not overlapping with your 'remaining lives', I think it'd be less confusing.
  • After I beat what I think was the end-boss (the giant eyeball-tentacle guy), the framerate dropped to maybe 1 or 1/2 FPS. (I'm guessing this is an issue with loading high scores?)

Anyway, niggles aside, I really enjoyed the game! My rating: 8.5 out of green.

(Score: 31200.)

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »

Thanks for the input PleasingFungus! Smiley Most of the issues you ran into (the masks, the teleporting missle shooter, framerate, etc) are just symptoms of me being overly ambitious in a 1 week time frame. This is good though, since I can fix all these issues next time around Wink

Thanks for the honest input! I'm glad you liked it!

-Johnny B.
edwood_grant
Level 0

The problem with life is that there is no OST

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »

Yay! It was a nice little game n_n.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for pixel graphics, so thats always good for me n_n.

As for the drag and drop system... I do like the concept, but I feel that it would be better better if making the timers a little short, and find a way no to distract yourself from viewing what its going on in the game. It could work by putting them surrounding the player maybe (in a semitransparent way possibly)?

Another problem I had is that when I panicked I naturally started just to click-click, instead of click and drag... and of course that made the power a little useless since they activated down the screen.
But I think it was just me, with a little practice and an internal reminder I might nail it n_n

Although its really just a nitpick n_n but I did liked the game and enjoyed :D

Cheers,
Italo F. Capasso B. AKA "Edwood Grant"

Glitchy Pixel webpage
http://glitchypixel.com.co
My articles at egamers.com (spanish) here
Vengeance is cold and sweet... just like an ice cream! :D
PS: Bogotá-Colombia is in South America
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 01:45:47 AM »

I did have problems with pickups bounding range. It's realy hard to collect but it's nice additctive game Smiley (me beign on the top of the highscores two days ago Wink)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic