Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 05:06:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingStar Guard (0.97)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
Print
Author Topic: Star Guard (0.97)  (Read 90276 times)
stemserf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: February 09, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »

I don't know how 'alive' this thread is but, I thought I'd leave some quick feedback.

I'm still really enjoying Star Guard! The multiple levels of achievement (score, time, kills, hard mode, deaths) really compliment each other, to say nothing of the well-connected story and aesthetic and the polished game play. I've made it up to level 7 on hard mode, with the intent of beating it with full kills (if possible).
stemserf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »

Also, I hope a concern isn't amiss:

The first seems related to the Mac version (I'm playing on a 2008 MacBook with Firefox 3.6 and Adobe Flash 10.0.42.34). I generally play the game with no other firefox tabs/windows open, and no other 'big' programs running.

The game play timing seems significantly different. It isn't really noticeable until the Wizard. In the Windows version, the Wizard sequence is platform -> floor -> platform x 3, float, repeat. In the Mac version the Wizard seems to always miss the first platform, after both the spawn and float stages. It seems to "jump early". Once I played between both Windows and Mac versions (I triple boot XP, OS X, and Debian, all native), I noticed I'm able to shoot faster in the Mac version or the enemies move slower or something.

I don't know enough about Flash to determine whether this is mainly due the difference between running it in an executable (Win) as opposed to html (OSX), but I figured you might.
stemserf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »

One final bit:

I noticed that the difficulty of Trial Mode (ie. whether it is limited by lives or not) can be changed based on what difficulty was played last. I like the option to play hard or just power through a level, but I realize it might be considered a bug rather than a feature.

Thanks for all of you great work. Also, this is my first real forum, so if I've missed anything or broken etiquette, I wouldn't mind a quick tap Smiley.
Fork and Beard
Level 0

kappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: March 30, 2010, 12:12:12 PM »

I don't know how 'alive' this thread is but

...me neither but I'd thought I'd drop a note to say I read the README...

Star Guard
============================================================
CONTROLS:
fire           <x>
jump      <z>
move      <arrows>
A gamepad is recommended.
Guide the spaceman through the castle and defeat the Wizard.
MENU:
full screen   <ctrl + f>
key setup   <k>
play level   <1-9>

...then I played the game. Using keys. I got mauled. So I won an Ebay auction for a Playstation adapter. Then I waited for a mail flight from Hong Kong. A week passed. I waited some more. It arrived. I downloaded JoyToKey. It worked - so I clapped. Then I could finally take your advice and use a Joypad. Man it was worth the wait.

The game is a total joy with a Joypad. Capping the little-red-punks in mid-air is a wonderful thing.

Many thanks.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2010, 03:04:22 AM »

Awesome, a star guard clone

http://www.diygamer.com/2010/03/bargain-bin-gem-pixelkiller-xblig/

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2010, 03:52:02 AM »

haha oh wow that's incredibly shameless Grin

you can report it for abuse here.
Cocytus79
Level 0

Pathetic man-child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: March 31, 2010, 04:16:39 AM »

Yeah, I ran into Pixel Killer a few weeks back. Star Guard is one of my absolute favorite games so I HAD to try it out just to see if my suspicions were right. But to be honest it is such a poor imitation that it just wasn't worth freaking out about.

The same guy has an actually pretty decent N clone that mixes in some portal-like elements. Seems like the dude just make XBLIG versions of games that aren't on that service.

That being said, what I WOULDN'T give to see Star Guard on XBLIG.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »

haha oh wow that's incredibly shameless Grin

you can report it for abuse here.

Nah, it's not that big of a deal.  Star Guard itself looks very similar to an old flash game called jump (http://bazalt.uw.hu/jump.swf).
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: April 01, 2010, 02:37:50 AM »

yeah, but still it takes everything in Star Guard and tweaks it to look a little crappier - e.g. the story appearing as background text, enemy design, the turrets, the minimal design.

It's pretty clear that it's not so much inspired by, but a blatant rip-off of Star Guard. Not that I'm saying everyone should be up in arms and outraged, but it's still shameless to take something that was nominated for excellence in design and repackage it as your own work.
st33d
« Reply #389 on: April 01, 2010, 05:50:53 AM »

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery they say.

And that's a piss-poor imitation of Star Guard. (Which at least means its not plagiarism.)
AndySchatz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: April 03, 2010, 04:13:24 PM »

Yeah, certainly not worth worrying about, esp since it's only likely to make more people aware of Star Guard.

What was star guard written in?  Gamemaker?  C++? Flash?

Pocketwatch Games - Monaco, Venture Arctic, Venture Africa
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 03, 2010, 09:19:17 PM »

Flash.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: April 05, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »

actionscript 3 actually

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
raiten
« Reply #393 on: July 12, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »

A new Star Guard clone -> http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/542040
This one was apparently sponsored by Newgrounds, which I think is a shame...
deathtotheweird
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »

Terrible music, has none of the original charm star guard had. Meh. Shame, they probably made a couple hundred bucks off this.  Shrug
st33d
« Reply #395 on: July 13, 2010, 12:42:35 AM »

It's not that bad to be honest. They've made a good effort and the level design isn't a rip. Definitely not Chinese knock-off territory.

They clearly like Star Guard a bit too much though as it makes you wish you were playing Star Guard instead.
Spoonweaver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 13, 2010, 05:07:29 AM »

Wow, this game is amazing. I really like how the story is presented. The controls were great and the game was challenging but not in a frustrating way. ( Though there was this one corridor that came very close to frustrating. ) Level 9 was epic dude, and I feel pride when I say that "The Wizard has been Defeated".
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: July 14, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »

Just watching the vid on your homepage alone makes me love this. Your awesome use of minimalism is enviable, btw!

Albert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 08, 2010, 07:29:25 AM »

See the Cobalt level editor video. See the last one minute!  Well, hello there! Big Laff Durr...? Corny Laugh

(Sorry if anybody else mentioned already)
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: November 08, 2010, 10:44:14 AM »

Baconman-
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really enjoy using a small number of ingredients.

Albert-
That made me laugh. Good luck with Cobalt! Your tech looks great by the way. Your editor looks lovely.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic