Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 09:58:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingStar Guard (0.97)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
Print
Author Topic: Star Guard (0.97)  (Read 90279 times)
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: November 08, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »

hey, this is the first time I've seen this!
fantastic game! i got stuck on the first stage of the last boss tho, I had to come back here to see if his damage was accumulating or being reset each time I died (many times). I felt you've been teaching me all through the game dying doesn't matter, and all of a sudden it becomes a big thing. The second/third stages were easier, which is odd. (I got killed by the landmine too btw Smiley)

only other gripe was this big intriguing story is getting built up through the game, but in the end you don't find out what the wizard really is, what happened to your dudes fortress, any of that jazz- was expecting more text than just the wizard is dead. What does it mean for the kingdom, I must know!

anyway, really compelling game- didn't want to stop playing and the difficulty was superbly judged

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: November 08, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »

Yes, actually I'm inclined to agree. The first phase of the boss is inconsistent with the rest of the game. I've considered remaking it in such a way that damage is saved between respawns. Thanks for being frank about your reactions.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game.
iffi
« Reply #402 on: November 08, 2010, 06:04:33 PM »

I remember playing this a while back, but there were some lag issues on my netbook, and my wireless keyboard was too slow-reacting for me to enjoy this game fully. I think I'll give this another playthrough now that I have a wired keyboard for my desktop. I did enjoy it quite a bit the last time I played it, but it was too difficult with a keyboard that takes a quarter of a second to respond to keypresses.
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:04 AM »

Sparky: I honestly think I would have enjoyed the ending more if damage accumulated, because I had been playing the game very casually and not caring about dying- just enjoying the action and the story. Die-hard purists who say limited lives and dying in a game must have big significance are only thinking about their niche tastes, and not what the majority of people might want to just play and enjoy. Where's the noby noby boy spirit in that, right? Smiley

I think it's partly related to how old a gamer you are too, or what your job is. I know a lot of game devs, myself included who used to love these old hardcore games where you had to learn every inch of the map and do everything perfectly- but nowadays we have a shit ton of stuff to do, all the time- we just want to enjoy something for what it has to offer, not spend hours and hours mercilessly bashing away at a high score table.

Er, well I think I'm preaching to the converted on this matter so I'll shut up, but it's always interesting to think and talk about how you can please both crowds. Star guard seems really well constructed to do that!

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
RCIX
« Reply #404 on: November 12, 2010, 08:38:01 PM »

Your website is kinda broken, so i can't redownload it Sad
deathtotheweird
« Reply #405 on: November 13, 2010, 01:53:35 AM »

i just checked and it works for me.

try http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://vacuumflowers.com/
RCIX