Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411590 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 04:21:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralfemale protagonist? yes/no?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: female protagonist? yes/no?  (Read 8867 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »

no hat off for me? Sad
not unless u go batshit crazy  Gomez

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »

no hat off for me? Sad
not unless u go batshit crazy  Gomez
well i am going batshit crazy about being excluded from the offhatting Cry

DXimenes
Level 0

writer, pixel artist, game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »

It wasn't a female exclusive hats off. I'm sorry. Hats off to you too Gentleman
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »

Another issue with polls like this that – whether or not they are anonymous polls – most of us tend to think/claim we have a "higher" moral standard than we actually live "up" to. It's not like the the average GameStop customer walks in to the store and states:

well yea that's one of the fundamental problems with self reported data. it's called "social desirability bias".

oops i wanted to type more on this but forgot. it's super hard to design a good survey for a "sensitive" subject like this. the problem with media reports on these studies is that they never talk about the methodology. i'd love to see what the questionnaire actually looked like because that can make a HUGE difference.

but ok it's only meant to be exploratory and i guess the results do tell us that (surprise surprise) what PR people think the audience wants is not necessarily identical to what the audience actually wants. but for some proper data, a (well designed ofc) controlled experiment or a panel study would be much better. they should actually analyze people's playing habits.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »

But you're arguing with someone who is agreeing with you again.
[/quote]

Where did you go??  Again, I'm not having like, an argument or debate, I'm just yelling into the wind.

This'll be made even more clear since you're not, apparently, here.  Did you ever really exist?  Is this art??

DXimenes
Level 0

writer, pixel artist, game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »

Is this art??
Do you want to know the answer to your question according to a classical, modern or contemporary point of view?
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »

No!!
JWK5
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »

This would appear to be an opportune segue for those fart jokes and phallic cartoon doodles I mentioned earlier...
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2015, 03:23:34 AM »

has anyone mentioned the number of pages in this thread on this page yet? if not I'm gonna go ahead and do it:

8 pages already, gurls and guise

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2015, 10:18:22 AM »

has anyone mentioned the number of pages in this thread on this page yet? if not I'm gonna go ahead and do it:

8 pages already, gurls and guise

Yes. We are slowly approaching Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies territory. From her on out, tread carefully.

Another issue with polls like this that – whether or not they are anonymous polls – most of us tend to think/claim we have a "higher" moral standard than we actually live "up" to. It's not like the the average GameStop customer walks in to the store and states:

well yea that's one of the fundamental problems with self reported data. it's called "social desirability bias".

oops i wanted to type more on this but forgot. it's super hard to design a good survey for a "sensitive" subject like this. the problem with media reports on these studies is that they never talk about the methodology. i'd love to see what the questionnaire actually looked like because that can make a HUGE difference.

but ok it's only meant to be exploratory and i guess the results do tell us that (surprise surprise) what PR people think the audience wants is not necessarily identical to what the audience actually wants. but for some proper data, a (well designed ofc) controlled experiment or a panel study would be much better. they should actually analyze people's playing habits.

If one could device a way to –  temporarily or permanently – disable the lying portion on the brain, then we could gather much more relevant research data. It may be possible using chemicals or surgery. But there are unfortunately some moral problems with this.

What we do get from serves (assuming participants are gathered in an acceptable manner) is the ability peek into the perceived "right" answer. We do not get to know what everyone thinks, but we do get to know what everyone thinks that everyone else thinks they should think.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2015, 11:29:11 AM »

you just unwillingly prove the godwin law just now Sad

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »

you just unwillingly prove the godwin law just now Sad

I did? Good, then it's done and we can move on with this. Coffee

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »

Honestly it's okay to do whatever you want for your characters, as long as it's what you personally are interested in. The problem kinda starts when you go into the checklist mentality and start adding things to fill the gaps of what everyone else will like. The new Fire Emblem's characterized female characters are kinda just following the checklist of whatever broad fetish thing that can be filled, and so much else looks like no effort was put in. It's kinda baffling.
Atleast everyone suffers from sameface uniformly, though!
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2015, 12:13:27 PM »

If one could device a way to –  temporarily or permanently – disable the lying portion on the brain, then we could gather much more relevant research data. It may be possible using chemicals or surgery. But there are unfortunately some moral problems with this.

What we do get from serves (assuming participants are gathered in an acceptable manner) is the ability peek into the perceived "right" answer. We do not get to know what everyone thinks, but we do get to know what everyone thinks that everyone else thinks they should think.

One methodology you sometimes see when asking about lie-prone subjects is to give the subject a dice cup and a die, where one third of the sides say "yes", one third say "no", and the remaining third say "truth".  Then you ask something like "Have you ever poached wildlife?", and the subject rolls the die around and looks at it privately, and then says what the die roll told them to say.  It gives the poacher the ability to tell the truth but still retain deniability, because them saying "yes" might be the truth or it might just be that they rolled "yes", and only they know which one.

So only about third of respondents are really answering, and you don't know which third, but you can still use the responses to estimate how much of the population poaches.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2015, 03:29:30 PM »

I DON'T NEED TO DISABLE THE LYING PORTION OF MY BRAIN, I DON'T HAVE ANY MENTAL FILTERS ANYWAY.

I'M A SOCIOPATH AND I DON'T CARE.

I LOVE SUCKING HORSE DICKS 24/7.

BLACK PEOPLE SCARE ME BECAUSE THEY'RE FULL OF SKELETONS.

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2015, 07:30:16 PM »

yeah but
did you kno
there's a skeleton deep down inside of u just waiting to get out
it's perfectly natural man just let it hang out!
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:19 PM »

USEFUL ANAGRAM MNEMONIC FOR REMEMBERING THE NAMES OF THE PLANETS

PINECONES

DO U REMEMBER THE NAMES OF THE PLANETS NOW?

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2015, 12:34:59 AM »

Percury
Ienus
Narth
Ears
Cupiter
Oaturn
Nranus
Eeptune
Sluto ((not a real planet))

olücæbelel
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »

One methodology you sometimes see when asking about lie-prone subjects is to give the subject a dice cup and a die, where one third of the sides say "yes", one third say "no", and the remaining third say "truth".  Then you ask something like "Have you ever poached wildlife?", and the subject rolls the die around and looks at it privately, and then says what the die roll told them to say.  It gives the poacher the ability to tell the truth but still retain deniability, because them saying "yes" might be the truth or it might just be that they rolled "yes", and only they know which one.

This is a brilliant way of doing it.

There is also probably a board game idea hidden somewhere in it all. Not a very classy German trade oriented one, but the type your supposed to play drunk (like Kill the Hippises).

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic