Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 12:55:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[GREENLIT] Double Death | Moddable Zombie Beat'em Up
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: [GREENLIT] Double Death | Moddable Zombie Beat'em Up  (Read 49481 times)
MrBones
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2014, 01:25:55 PM »

I played around with a CRT Shader a bit today. Even though This probably won't be implemented in the final version, I thought it might look cool.

In other news, I'm still stressing out 300% over the fact that the resolution changing breaks the game. Seems I won't be able to rest until I fix this.  Cry
MrBones
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »

In case you missed and/or don't follow the IndieDB page, I detailed some of the newest things I've implemented.

Among them were the BP mechanic being fleshed out:

And the Status menu being fleshed out as well:

I've also finally come up with a fix for the window resolution problem, and did a few changes to the AI.
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2015, 11:38:22 AM »

Hey, I do not really know how you can do it in game maker, and it would be nice to know how did you manage to make the pixels look good on all screen resolutions.

I don't intend to spam you with my own thread, but here we explained how we do it (although we use our own rendering based on openGL) : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35320.msg1068722#msg1068722, and @noio, that is using Unity, talks also about it in his own thread http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40539.msg1092722#msg1092722. As you'll see those are different approaches, and would be interesting to know what you decided to use.

And also, I want to say that I keep lurking your thread (but not IndieDB) so, perhaps you can crosspost. It takes time to write down the stuff you are doing, so, why not let it read to as much people as posible? I like TIG, because I can easily check new posts on threads I've written.

This game looks cool! Smiley
MrBones
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2015, 03:26:50 PM »

Hey, I do not really know how you can do it in game maker, and it would be nice to know how did you manage to make the pixels look good on all screen resolutions.

And also, I want to say that I keep lurking your thread (but not IndieDB) so, perhaps you can crosspost. It takes time to write down the stuff you are doing, so, why not let it read to as much people as posible? I like TIG, because I can easily check new posts on threads I've written.

This game looks cool! Smiley

Hey mate, thanks for asking. Before I address the second part of the post, I'm happy to share!
-----------------------------------------------
So, before I go any farther into explaining, I'd like to point out that this isn't an absolute solution in my opinion. While I believe this is the best that Game Maker can handle, it is not absolutely perfect. When I say it scales correctly, I mean there are no artefacts and the pixels are rendered evenly. Black borders may still result on certain screens.

I start out by creating my room. In rooms that are designated as menus, I make the view encompass the entire room and set the port to exactly half of each measurement (example: 800x600 view, 400x300 port). In some cases views can be disabled all together for these sorts of rooms. In actual "gameplay" rooms, the view is set to an appropriate setting, and the port is set to equal the view. I use 320x240 in all gameplay rooms, due to the size of my tiles and sprites being very small.

Moving on, I use a global constant to define the base resolution and height of the game, or the base resolution which will be scaled up or down. I generally place this in the creation code for all rooms, although it is important to note that if you plan on having the player control the resolution, you will have to make a few changes by setting a global switch which lets the room know on creation to re-render the application surface or not. If this is not done, the game may not retain user settings.
Code:
basewidth = RESW;
baseheight = RESH;
resolutionaspect = basewidth / baseheight.
My base resolution is 1280 x 768, this being a direct multiple of the tile size used. The resolution aspect variable is the most important variable here. Without a defined aspect which is the same as the base resolution aspect, odd artefacts will appear on the screen in resolutions that are not direct multiples of the original tile size. After this, you must access whether the user's display is vertical or horizontal.
Code:
if (display_get_width() < display_get_height())
    {
    var truew = min(basewidth, display_get_width());
    var trueh = truew / aspect;
    }
else
    {
    var trueh = min(baseheight, display_get_height());
    var truew = trueh * aspect;
    }
This was something I was not 100% familiar with in Game Maker, as I am more acquainted with working with OpenGL and Java. Therefore, some of this code is modified off of tutorials I found on the GMC forums and I cannot take 100% "ownership" as the original writer of this part of the code shown above. What this does is first detect if the monitor is set to portrait or landscape. If it is portrait, it finds whether the base width or the display's width is smaller, which it must know in order for it to scale up or down. It does the same if it is portrait, but measures this with height instead of width.
Code:
surface_resize(application_surface, truew, trueh);
This is by far the most helpful thing implemented in the newest versions of GMS. This allows for the actual surface the application is drawn on to be resized. As you can see, it is resized to the truewxtrueh resolution. EDIT: DISREGARD THIS READ COMMENT BELOWPlease note this is assuming the aspect ratio is selected as "Keep Aspect Ratio" and not "Fixed". While there will be some black bars (althought not huge), the quality will be better.
However, let's say you want to the player to control the resolution. Here's two things you need to know. The first is that you have to initialize the player's choice when the game is started. The second is that the window size CANNOT carry over into fullscreen. This can cause artefacts. In order to make this work, you must make it so the window size is only selectable when fullscreen is off. Therefore the fullscreen scale will be solely based off the application_surface being upscaled/downscaled.
It is also important to notice that much older graphics cards may not fully support surfaces, or lag may result. I have included an option for players to turn off surfaces, which also warns players that this may mess up scaling and graphical fidelity.
Code:
application_surface_enable(TRUE/FALSE)
While I am sure this isn't the absolute best way to do it, I have tested this on roughly four computers all with different resolutions, and I can say that this is an efficient solution. However, as I am not satisfied with anything, I am still looking for other ways to get this to work. I am currently experimenting with fixed ratios which will take away the black borders. I will keep you updated.

EDIT: Alright apparently I'm an idiot who didn't do enough testing. Changing the aspect ratio from "Keep Aspect Ratio" to "Fixed" WILL eliminate the black borders and will keep the quality. Even on Windowed mode. However, on odd resolutions which are not divisible by the original base multiple, you may notice that things that are one pixel now take up two pixels. This is apparently unavoidable, however as far as I can tell it doesn't act as a detriment to the game's quality, although it might appear a bit odd at first. This only appears to happen on Fixed for some reason.

If this still does not work and you are really looking for a solution, I would be happy to help you out with your project on this one specific topic.

-----------------------------------------------
In response for your second part, first of all thanks for following man! I appreciate it a lot. I will make an attempt to cross-post from now on, I guess it just hasn't crossed my mind. Thanks for the advice.

Hopefully this was helpful. PM me if you need any additional help or whatever. It's possible that I'm overlooking a simple detail.

-Bonesy

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:19:16 PM by Bonesy » Logged
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »

Well, currently I'm not using GMS, but the "how to fit" the render in different resolutions problem is independent of the underlaying game engine. And asked because I like to know how people do it (We are still not 100% sure of how we will do it).

The post is pretty well explained! Hand Thumbs Up Left Thanks! 
MrBones
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2015, 06:24:11 PM »

Well, currently I'm not using GMS, but the "how to fit" the render in different resolutions problem is independent of the underlaying game engine. And asked because I like to know how people do it (We are still not 100% sure of how we will do it).

The post is pretty well explained! Hand Thumbs Up Left Thanks! 

May I ask what engine you're using? If its custom made, what language? I might still be able to help. I think the same logic I used should at least still apply.
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2015, 02:16:06 AM »

This continues looking amazing, as usual Smiley

And about the CRT shader, why don't you add it like an unlockable or something? I think it adds a good vibe to the game  Beer!
MrBones
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2015, 02:44:59 AM »

This continues looking amazing, as usual Smiley

And about the CRT shader, why don't you add it like an unlockable or something? I think it adds a good vibe to the game  Beer!

Thanks dude!

I like this idea a lot. I might do this once I figure out why it messes up scaling at certain resolutions.
MrBones
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »

Crosspost from IndieDB

Hey guys, I figured this wasn't big enough for a full blog post. You might have noticed that progress has been significantly slower lately. Things are still being worked on and the game is NOT dead, but I have been a bit busy and I've been mainly working on things that don't have any visual aspects, such as implementing SFX, AI, fixing bugs, etc. I'm in a bit of a tight spot right now, so I may not be able to crank out a blog post with significant images and stuff for another 2-3 weeks or so. Anyway, thanks for still following and I hope that you guys will like how everything turns out! I figure even if I don't have enough to make a State of The Game post I'll make a post detailing what's been going on and maybe a short teaser or something.
MrBones
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2015, 05:25:04 PM »

No screenshots, but today I implemented 3D audio and got around to correctly implementing the SFX as well. I haven't tested the 3D audio in multiplayer yet. There's currently a big of a bug where SFX can be particularly loud, even when the SFX volume is set to low. I'm looking into it.
MrBones
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »

New Icons!

WIP Profile Screen

Options Screen

----

By the way, I've decided to abandon ties with my publisher after a disagreement. I've decided that I will soon turn to Kickstarter and Greenlight, as I would like to keep my own input on the development cycle and also listen to the game's players & feedback as much as possible.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:31:48 PM by Bonesy » Logged
flintGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2015, 10:33:33 PM »

Super awesome! Will def keep following your progress.

Flint Games, makers of BlitzKeep.
MrBones
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:01 PM »

Super awesome! Will def keep following your progress.

Hey man, thanks! I really appreciate it.
MrBones
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2015, 06:50:24 AM »

[CROSS POST FROM INDIEDB]

New Item Pickups

New item pickups. Player Backpack, Medkit, Mega Medkit, and Ammo Box. Should have an update on new visual effects soon (gore + better shadows).
Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2015, 12:27:06 AM »

This is looking really good and something I would happily play  Smiley
Big thumbs up for the Boss Zombie animation on the previous page too

Mya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2015, 02:05:22 AM »

Looking cool - I get a kind of Arnie mixed with Kurt Russel vibe from the main guy.

Is there a playable demo available/in the pipeline?

Looking forward to seeing more Smiley

MrBones
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »

This is looking really good and something I would happily play  Smiley
Big thumbs up for the Boss Zombie animation on the previous page too
I'm glad to hear it! I have a huge update on progress planned for this week, so keep updated. :D

Looking cool - I get a kind of Arnie mixed with Kurt Russel vibe from the main guy.

Is there a playable demo available/in the pipeline?

Looking forward to seeing more Smiley
A large part of the game is actually playable but I  unfortunately do not believe it is ready for a public demo yet.
MrBones
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2015, 07:27:39 PM »

Originally posted for screenshot saturday on Twitter and IndieDB

IndieDB Cross-post:
THAT'S RIGHT GUYS I'M NOT DEAD YET. I'm finally here to break the silence. Here's an early mockup of the weapon trader you can visit in between rounds/between levels/etc. YES THERE ARE MORE WEAPONS THAN THIS THERE ARE ACTUALLY 9.

yeaaa i'm finally gettin stuff done
MrBones
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »

new damage effects and a wicked ass pistol weapon

we're finally making progress
MrBones
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »

sniper mode engage
early screenshot saturday

also page 9 yeaaaah
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print