Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411682 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 06:22:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestinggo go marine squad 0: cheap space labour
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: go go marine squad 0: cheap space labour  (Read 2473 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:15:28 AM »

Finally, the pilot for the long-anticipated "go go marine squad" saga has been released!
I present to you the best of retro sci-fi storytelling, the most brutal of action, and the most strategic of thinking:

GO GO MARINE SQUAD:
episode zero: cheap space labour

Play as a scout for the 91st marine reaction company, who finds out the secrets of planet balkon six. Liberate the native ape-men from their robot overlord.

-3 levels featuring the deadly robot overlord bossĀ©!
-possibly the first ever third person shooter using planes
-over 4 tactical weapons!
-destructable terrain
-dynamic lighting
-night missions only!

DOWNLOAD
download day mode for those afraid of the dark (not recommended)

CONTROLS:

wasd move
mouse aims
left mouse button fires
rmb uses special (binoculars)
q rolls left, e rolls right
1/2/3/4 fires

OUTFIT:
instead of picking your outfit, as usual for a 91st company marine, you just take everything you can get. Future episodes (that will probably never be made) will feature outfit-picking.

space machine gun
deadly in close combat, and unaccurate like a fleet rookie bomber
flamethrower
very good against ape-men, super close range, can blind user
reaction rifle
long-range, one kill at a time
plasma cannon
this 24 kg heavy and 2 meters long beauty destroys anything it hits, but will explode at slightest obstruction. does not harm the ape-men of balkon six, because they are used to extremely high temperatures
binoculars
standard scout equipment, use it wisely
magnet suit
repairs wounds automatically, as usual

I tried putting the feel of retro sci-fi books into a game, so just imagine the super cool story part while playing.
I have no idea what I just wrote, so just play this little sloppy game and enjoy. <3 thanks

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 03:46:48 AM by jwaap » Logged

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:54:07 AM »

this game is da bomb, yo.

i kept wanting to look up and down, but once you get the hang of the binoculars you dont need to.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:13:53 AM »

Looks interesting, I'll probably try it later. One thing did catch my eye, though. How can the flamethrower be extra good to kill the ape men, but not the plasma cannon "because they are used to extremely high temperatures?". If they are used to temperatures high enough that plasma doesn't hurt them as much, I would imagine regular flames from a flamethrower are just going to tickle. Unless it's specifically a chemical flamethrower that uses acid or other similar nastiness to 'burn' stuff.

Other than that, cute premise, cute graphics, and I look forward to trying it after work.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:12:37 AM »

Looks interesting, I'll probably try it later. One thing did catch my eye, though. How can the flamethrower be extra good to kill the ape men, but not the plasma cannon "because they are used to extremely high temperatures?". If they are used to temperatures high enough that plasma doesn't hurt them as much, I would imagine regular flames from a flamethrower are just going to tickle. Unless it's specifically a chemical flamethrower that uses acid or other similar nastiness to 'burn' stuff.

Other than that, cute premise, cute graphics, and I look forward to trying it after work.

that can all be explained easily! the ape man are used to super high temperatures, but not to rather high ones  Durr...?

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 09:26:14 AM »

Ha, neat. I enjoyed this. I'm impressed at how atmospheric it is.

The combat is fun- the cover based bits work quite well.

I have a couple of tiny recommendations-
  • The ape man dodge is neat already, but I think I'd like it more if it were accompanied by a little leap animation or something along those lines.
  • Projectile impact effects would be good. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm hitting or not (especially in the final fight against the big robot).
increpare
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »

I played it and enjoyed it.  Didn't get much by way of atmosphere, though.

I like how binoculars work.
Apprauuuu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 05:09:54 AM »

I tested and really liked the game =D
It would just be a bit funnier if the plasma cannon would shoot through already destroyed walls.
For me the atmosphere was there =)
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 07:07:50 AM »

Wow, this is really fun. I love how ridiculously big your reticle can get. However, pressing enter at the beginning took me a while to figure out. I would have preferred using the mouse.

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »

The game is neat. There's a lot of enemies to destroy I like it, but it make it difficult I cant pass the first level. Nice work (^_^)b
Stahlkaiser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:14:28 AM »

Wow, this i really sweet and plays great! This could grow into a really great hit, just add original bosses and different missions to it. upgrading your character would also be nice and that should not be that hard to do in game maker. You seem to know something about graphics because you added this neat low res sprites which look sweet in nearly EVERY games. Just make sure that not every level plays like the same.

Also if you add some short story which is not too overused by many other shooters it could get amusing!

It is a good base on which an impressive little shooter could evolve... like the famous Soldat for example!

BTW: Your game ideas ALWAYS impress me! and your art-style too!!

Please keep up this GREAT work!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic