Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 02:55:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingShoot Your Evil Twin Brother Who Has Trapped You in a Mirror Room and Who ...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shoot Your Evil Twin Brother Who Has Trapped You in a Mirror Room and Who ...  (Read 2184 times)
xlomid
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2010, 07:41:41 AM »

Shoot Your Evil Twin Brother Who Has Trapped You in a Mirror Room and Who Drinks People's Blood (Windows executable)

Written for TWIFcomp, the recent competition for games with a twitter-sized source code where it came runner-up. Featuring an original gameplay and an eerie plot, Shoot Your Evil... is a hybrid of interactive fiction and an audiogame. (which is why you don't really need any screenshots Smiley )

STORY

Romania. XVII century.
You are trapped in a mirror room, surrounded by four reflections of yourself, except... one of them is not a reflection. It is your gruesome twin brother who can at any moment attack you from behind and drink your blood. You have a pistol but it is only loaded with one sliver bullet.
Can you escape from the mirror room and save your country from the villain?

HOW TO PLAY

1. Turn up the volume and listen carefully to what the protagonist has to say*, as it will not be repeated in text. You can find in his words everything you need to complete the game.
2. Every turn, the protagonist turns randomly (sorry for the tautology) to one of the mirrors. You cannot control that, and there's no logic in his movements: if you were in his place, I bet you wouldn't be very rational either.
3. As this is an interactive fiction game, you have to type instructions that the protagonist will try to follow, keeping an eye on his reflection. Both the protagonist's actions and their reflections are presented in the game in form of text. In fact, they are the only text you will get to see.
4. With one important exception, your instructions do not affect the gaming process directly.
5. That being said, you will have to figure out how to win the game yourself. It shouldn't be too hard if you pay attention, but just in case there are hints in the readme.

* Sorry for the accent, the protagonist is Romanian, remember? Meant to be, anyway.
ThomasTC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 12:41:37 PM »

This is a pretty neat concept, I've never seen -- erm, heard -- an audio-only game before.

I tried to break the mirror, and to take out the gun, hoping that my evil twin brother does not have an evil twin gun. That didn't work out. I'll think about this...
xlomid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Thomas!

Have you tried reading the hints section in the readme?  Noir

You don't need to take out the gun, because it's already in your hands. What you need to do, though, you can easily deduce from the title. Smiley But it's important that you do it in the right moment. (You see four copies of yourself, and your brother is only one of them, while the other three are merely reflections.)

Sorry if that sounds too vague, but I just really don't want to entirely spoil the fun of solving the best puzzle we could think of having some 70 bytes of code at our disposal (the game was written for a nano-game comp, after all, and the other 70 bytes had been taken up by the engine). Actually, the code length limitation was where the concept of an audiogame originated from.  Roll Eyes

p.s. Just in case here is the walkthrough: http://urq.plut.info/files/walkthrough.txt. Hope you won't have to use it, though. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:23:12 PM by xlomid » Logged
cpuguy89
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »

Really great. Its pretty incredible what you did with so little code.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:44:04 PM by cpuguy89 » Logged
AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 02:51:47 AM »

One problem I had with spotting the solution was
Spoiler Warning!
I just thought the slow response was my computer being dumb, so it did not register in my brain, even in the slightest, till I looked at the hints.

The accent is also a little off, but I don't have much experience with 17th century Romanian accents. : P

That said, awesome idea. Very inventive and well done. I had fun. Hand Thumbs Up Right

FanFan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 03:59:01 AM »

The game somehow gave me creeps, nice one on that... I pluged off my earphone oftentimes, afraid there are some startling noises or sounds, but it has no thing startling (or i dont flag the event?).

Too bad my english is not that good, i cannot capture half of character's sayings  Sad
xlomid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »

Thank you all so much for the feedback! We're very glad you enjoyed our little game.  Smiley

Fandrey
Here is the script of what the protagonist says, if you are interested: http://pastebin.com/07sQmkjL.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic