Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 09:25:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGreedy Bankers - A score-driven puzzler
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Greedy Bankers - A score-driven puzzler  (Read 2765 times)
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:24:07 AM »

Hi all Smiley

I made a puzzle game called Greedy Bankers, which you can download from here. I developed it for this month's Experimental Gameplay Project, with the theme of "Casual Addiction".

The game was developed in XNA, so you'll need the up-to-date XNA and .NET frameworks installed. There's links to these included on the page above. You'll need to be running Windows to play it.

A video of the game in action is linked below:

In the game you use the mouse to drag and drop gems into square patterns, after which they join together to form larger gems. Bigger gems are worth more cash! You have sixty seconds to make the target amount of money, otherwise it's game over. Rubble falls from the ceiling and needs to be cleared, and there's greedy bank robbers after your gems!

The feedback I'm currently looking for is mainly "does it work?" at the moment, as I need to test it out on a variety of machines. If it doesn't work, could you leave me as detailed a description as you can about what happens? That would be really helpful.

I'd also like to know more generally how you found it, if it was fun to play, if it was easy to control, if it was confusing, stuff like that. I'd also like to know how far you tended to get.

Many thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:03:47 AM by alistairaitcheson » Logged

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:50:13 PM »

Silly as it seems to be the first guy to reply to my own post, I thought this was funny enough that I ought to keep a record of it.

My Dad just played Greedy Bankers for 3 hours straight. Obviously I'm doing something right. He also ended up with painful cramps in his hand. Not sure how proud I should be of that!  Roll Eyes

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »

Alright, I'll give this one a spin, too, and let you know what's up.

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »

Most people skip over threads if it doesn't A)Have an easy access video or B)Greatly interest them in genre, art or concept.
I'd highly recommend a video either way.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »

Even then, a recent cactus game post on here only received a few comments. So don't feel too bad.

First off, I know you made your game in XNA and I'm so bloody glad you didn't use the default deployment package.  Beer!

It's a fun game, really good concept. Very casual and very addictive. Not reallly my style, although I did enjoy it for 15 minutes or so. Going to show my mom, she's very fond of games like this.
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:11:33 AM »

Most people skip over threads if it doesn't A)Have an easy access video or B)Greatly interest them in genre, art or concept.
I'd highly recommend a video either way.
Thanks for letting me know. I've added a video link to the first post now.

It's a fun game, really good concept. Very casual and very addictive. Not reallly my style, although I did enjoy it for 15 minutes or so. Going to show my mom, she's very fond of games like this.
Thanks for your comment and for letting me know how you got on with it. I look forward to hearing how your mom gets on with it  Smiley

Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

Yeah I looked at it, and it looked like a lot of work to download, but after watching the video I tried it out! Pretty cool game!

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 01:26:35 AM »

Yeah I looked at it, and it looked like a lot of work to download, but after watching the video I tried it out! Pretty cool game!
Thanks very much! Perhaps there's too many bits and pieces to download at the moment and I need to make it easier to do. I'll have a look to see if there's a simpler way to distribute XNA projects without having to direct people to the framework downloads like I do at the moment.

Anyone know how to do this better?

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:44:46 PM »

At first the concept seemed far too simple. Then I died on round 6. It turned to be pretty addictive, but frustrating when playing with a touchpad xD I liked it, so i will try to get a mouse and show it to some friends.

And nice art too, i really liked the cartoonish style.Can't help with XNA stuff though, sorry Tongue

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 04:04:24 AM »

At first the concept seemed far too simple. Then I died on round 6. It turned to be pretty addictive, but frustrating when playing with a touchpad xD I liked it, so i will try to get a mouse and show it to some friends.

And nice art too, i really liked the cartoonish style.Can't help with XNA stuff though, sorry Tongue
Thanks Maikel - glad you enjoyed it :D

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »

Is there a way to change the default resolution of the game? Tried playing it on my netbook (800 x 480), and half of the "Instructions" panel was all I could get to. Far as I can tell, there wasn't a way to pan the screen, either.

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 08:06:35 AM »

Is there a way to change the default resolution of the game? Tried playing it on my netbook (800 x 480), and half of the "Instructions" panel was all I could get to. Far as I can tell, there wasn't a way to pan the screen, either.
There isn't a way to change the default resolution at the moment. Sorry about that - I'll fix that for the next version.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »

You can use the XNA deploy that builds your product into a pre-built installer and downloads the required XNA files if needed (and skips if not needed).

The downside is that you or the user has zero control of where the set-up files are installed (user/appdata/roaming I believe). I personally hate this with a passion, but since so many people are so stupid and lazy to figure out their problems, if you don't do it for them-they won't even play your game. You could always offer two releases, a portable zip release and the xna clickonce deployment thing for those unsure about xna.

Most people forget that they already have XNA and .net installed, or just too lazy to go and download two files that they will never have to download ever again. (talking to you Epitaph64)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb464156.aspx

^that should put you in the right direction
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:53:18 AM »

Thanks for your help, Allen. I've just made two different versions and am uploading them both to my website. Smiley

I'm just uploading a new version (v0.02), which takes care of screen sizes (graphical bugs notwithstanding!)

UPDATE: I've uploaded the new version and tested the download and it's all working great. Here's a link to the XNA Deploy version:
http://www.alistairaitcheson.com/downloads/Greedy%20Bankers%20Installer.zip

And a link to the new zipped version:
http://www.alistairaitcheson.com/downloads/Greedy%20Bankers%20v0-02.zip
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:35:27 PM by alistairaitcheson » Logged

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »

For some odd reason, it tends to offset horizontally (and duplicate the mouse), making it difficult to navigate the lower part of it; but conceptually, it's wonderful! It's simple, but addictive, and the timer keeps a frantic pace to it when you hit close to level 5 or so.

Apart from the minor hangup, this is solid. Smiley

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 02:59:05 AM »

For some odd reason, it tends to offset horizontally (and duplicate the mouse), making it difficult to navigate the lower part of it; but conceptually, it's wonderful! It's simple, but addictive, and the timer keeps a frantic pace to it when you hit close to level 5 or so.

Apart from the minor hangup, this is solid. Smiley

How strange... I'm guessing this happens when you play it in 800x480 mode? It might be something that I missed when changing code to accommodate different resolutions.

Would you be able to post a screenshot so I can see what it looks like? If I can see the problem in action it'll be easier to work out the source of it.

Many thanks for playing by the way, and I'm glad you enjoyed it   Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic