Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 04:11:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMr Runner
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mr Runner  (Read 2084 times)
MrScruffs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:47:21 PM »

Hey Guys,

Check it out, Mr Runner: http://bitbattalion.com/games/runner/

I actually made this game a while ago, and never posted it here. I even did a super fancy postmortem: http://bitbattalion.com/2010/04/mr-runner-postmortem/. There are a few things which I wish I could change, but whats done is done.

Have fun! And let me know what you think.  Smiley

Check out our Shizm.
Bit Battalion
increpare
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:43:19 AM »

Hey -

Random brain dump:

I quite like the visual style

I find it easy to mash space after finishing a level and accidentally starting a new one

I really really like the world/level select-map : D

The movement seems a little sluggish to me - I don't know if it's performance-related or not (I'm on 2.4Ghz macbook w/ 4gb ram).

I haven't played that far yet - just a couple of levels.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:49:30 AM by increpare » Logged
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:01:06 AM »

I found it almost impossible to see the player against the mountain background. Silhouette style tend to rely on some contrast, and you have almost none here.

I found the running controls a little sluggish too, as though he was exceedingly heavy.

Love the presentation, really polished front end and level select, which I really appreciate!

twitter: @docky
MrScruffs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:00:19 AM »

Thanks guy!

Yeah, I think the controls are a bit sluggish when you aren't used to them. I actually didn't play test it nearly enough before its release, which meant that I didn't really get feedback on the learning curve of the controls. That's why the second level is so difficult.
Mega Regret.
I also did the graphics on a particular monitor that had the brightness turned up, which means that on many other monitors its difficult to read.

I guess you live and learn. What level did you get up to? :D

Check out our Shizm.
Bit Battalion
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:27:54 AM »

This is a lot of fun! One thing that struck me as strange is how ice actually speeds you up. I feel like it should just keep you from slowing down instead of acting as an accelerator.
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 10:32:57 AM »

Loved the game! Checkpoints during levels are a very welcome and nice addition. Smiley

My only gripe is many clicks I have to submit before I can start a level. I don't think the click needed to start the level after being shown the time is necessary at all.

The music was excellent.
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 11:38:42 AM »

this game is pretty awesome. couldnt figure out the ice level though haha =(. Ill try again later!

tylerjhutchison
Level 1

hebbo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 01:05:30 PM »

The presentation and map on this is totally awesome!

I agree with Hayden Scott-Baron, I would sometimes loose the player in the background, a little more contrast in the colors would help.  Especially since this a running platforming game that can probably get pretty hectic.

The gameplay is great I feel like it has many of the qualities that I love from Bit.Trip Runner game on Wii Ware, but with the addition of save points mid level.  So the entire game is ultimately way less frustrating.

It looks awesome.  One thing that I noticed that really felt so tight in Bit.Trips runner and does not seem quite as tight in Mr. Runner is that placement of coins compared to the jumps.  Bit.Trips runner really develops a flow and rhythm of coin placement and it starts to guide your run.  Mr. Runner does some similar things but I think it is not quite as tight.  Of course I think the only way you can really figure out optimal coin placement is from loads of play testing so this might be a ton of work.  For the most part it look as feels pretty great.  I had a blast and will continue to play it.

tylersaurus.com | twitter | blog | wedrawcomics.com -- software engineer by day, comic book artist/game dev by night.
MrScruffs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 05:40:11 PM »

The gameplay is great I feel like it has many of the qualities that I love from Bit.Trip Runner game on Wii Ware, but with the addition of save points mid level.  So the entire game is ultimately way less frustrating.

It looks awesome.  One thing that I noticed that really felt so tight in Bit.Trips runner and does not seem quite as tight in Mr. Runner is that placement of coins compared to the jumps.  Bit.Trips runner really develops a flow and rhythm of coin placement and it starts to guide your run.  Mr. Runner does some similar things but I think it is not quite as tight.  Of course I think the only way you can really figure out optimal coin placement is from loads of play testing so this might be a ton of work.  For the most part it look as feels pretty great.  I had a blast and will continue to play it.

Being compared to Bit.Trip? Haha thanks man, thats high praise. I know what you mean about the coins, I had actually intended for them to guide the player through, and they are a bit strangely placed at times. Like you said, it's actually mostly because I was lazy and didn't play test it. Whoops.

It was actually my sponsor's idea (Greg from Kongregate) to make the coins take of a bit of time when you hit them, before that I just had them in there for people to collect.

Check out our Shizm.
Bit Battalion
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 03:56:12 AM »

I love this game, even though I couldn't beat it.  Got to... uh... four levels after the first anti-gravity level before I couldn't take anymore.  Loved the way the little dude moved, his acceleration felt just right.  Smiley

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 04:46:54 AM »

Wonderful, wonderful game!

The difficulty was fine up until Mountaineer where it suddenly just got crazy. It's the overhangs that get me.. I did finally beat the game, though, with an overall time of 36 minutes.

I think there's a bug where if you die while sliding, you end up spawning sunk down one block into the level, and you can get "stuck" (until you jump). It's easiest to reproduce on the level where you slide towards the goal and have to release the slide button before hitting lava.
(Speaking of sliding, what the devil kind of ice is that? Haha)
garlandobloom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 04:49:52 AM »

Pretty cool little game. Didn't have time to finish it, gotta go to work now. But I didn't really find a problem with the controls. The character did blend into the background a little too strongly. Reminded me a lot of Meat Boy, but it had some differences that made it interesting. Liked that new ideas were introduced steadily, although the first levels don't seem to suggest that. Also, the start of the game threatening that the game is hard is a bit odd.

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 09:19:43 AM »

when you press "r" to restart a map, the camera starts going back to the beginning.
But before it gets there my time is already running, so I have less chance of improving my stats Sad

Also, that end with that ice below that makes u go crazy fast is almost unreachable.
I go back up to soon or too late and slam in lava over and over.

Looks good though but I don't have what it takes to die on a pixel or millisecond
over and over again without losing the point of entertaining.
Pasty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »

i played for a little while. it was entertaining and the way you weaved in the various mechanics was nice, although i suspect things get pretty difficult toward the end game. i really have nothing to complain about as of yet; the game's a fun little time-waster.

i'll take another stab at it this weekend and see if i can find any bugs.

Zulli
Level 0

Maybe I´ll dev today

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »

The game is very addicting. I really liked it ^^
I just tink that when you colide with ice, "mr. runner" gets a little too fast
I dindt finish i need to do other things now.

:D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic