Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411713 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 09:24:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLandscape / Erosion Toy
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Landscape / Erosion Toy  (Read 4425 times)
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 12:40:15 AM »

I'm adding a proper export screen. The pictures act as buttons which save a .png for the appropriate layer. Visually, this screen is all placeholders. I've also got a couple of bugs to work out. I should have this up and running soon, though!
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 01:40:50 AM »

This is really very cool. One thing I'd like to see (unless it's there and I've just missed it) is some way to change the brush size.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »

Sereneworx-
Oh sorry, that's one of the things I haven't added proper GUI for yet! For the time being, brush size is mapped to the - and + keys.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »

I've heard of Terragen, but I didn't know until a few days ago that it had erosion tools in it.

Ah, actually now that you mention it the original Terragen didn't have anything in the way of erosion.  The original World Machine has a couple of erosion algorithms along with the ability to create your own erosion methods through macros, which is something I'm totally unfamiliar with.

I know new versions of both Terragen and World Machine have been out for a number of years, but both were so incredibly complicated and time consuming that I never got into them.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »

Hey, I'm running into a really odd bug with the .png export. I'll post about it here in the hope that someone can help me figure this out...

Firstly, there is no problem when saving with the hotkey (S).

The save buttons, however, are inconsistent. They work in the standalone player, but when the program runs in a browser they do not work at all. The weird thing is that the save buttons use the exact same command as the hotkey does. I wonder if perhaps it has something to do with the command being called from the update loop rather than on key press. I don't know why it would work in the standalone player and not work in a browser, though. Any suggestions?
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 05:06:19 PM »

I wonder if perhaps it has something to do with the command being called from the update loop rather than on key press.

Yeah. Don't do it in an ENTER_FRAME or Timer loop. Do it in response to either a mouse click or key press.

In Flash Player, you can only call this method successfully in response to a user event (for example, in an event handler for a mouse click or keypress event).
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/flash/net/FileReference.html#save()

It's to mitigate malicious usage of the Flash platform.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 05:16:11 PM »

Ah! Thanks John. I thought maybe it was something like that, but I was confused by the fact that it was working in the standalone player.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 12:26:36 PM »

I've just been for a 3 day duke of Edinburgh gold expedition in the black mountains/brecon beacons in mid/south wales. You have no idea how realistic this generator is, some of the generated things look almost EXACTLY like the hills/mountains I've been walking in.
 Tears of Joy
PlayMeTape
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »

This is really awesome! I wish I could do stuff like this. Coffee

I love the rendering, I hope you manage to get the new rendering system to look as good as the old one. But it did run into trouble with some of the more vicious slopes:

Anyways, good luck with the continued development of this!
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 01:56:24 AM »

I fixed the export dialog- thanks John.
http://vacuumflowers.com/temp/landscape

The new renderer is also coming along:
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic