Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 05:36:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessI have this idea for a "good" DRM
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: I have this idea for a "good" DRM  (Read 5001 times)
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2012, 07:36:28 AM »

I don't consider Steam as DRM. I can play my game(s) in any PC my heart desires, as long as I can install it. I actually like that Steam thing.

Those "CD/DVD required in drive" games are the ones that piss me off the most.

A decent DRM would be lower the prices of retail games a bit and give freebies to players that register their original copies, kind of like Nintendo does with their stars catalog.

You buy a new game, you get points that you can redeem for something later. Works for me.

Yeah.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2012, 08:19:59 AM »

All that more advanced DRM does is piss of consumers

with the exception of steam

Yeah, steam can stay

I don't consider Steam as DRM. I can play my game(s) in any PC my heart desires, as long as I can install it. I actually like that Steam thing.

Those "CD/DVD required in drive" games are the ones that piss me off the most.

A decent DRM would be lower the prices of retail games a bit and give freebies to players that register their original copies, kind of like Nintendo does with their stars catalog.

You buy a new game, you get points that you can redeem for something later. Works for me.

I love points systems, I have gotten so much cool stuff through the Disney one that if I am ever in a store deciding between a Disney and a non-Disney movie. I will usually go with the Disney one just for the added bonus of the points. Companies should never underestimate the power of free stuff

Think happy thoughts.
trq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »

This is a bit off-topic, but look at that example of "good" DRM-like thing for academic texts: no free knowledges for students, in addition to tuition fees you have to buy books with access codes to get grades.

Is it legal, anyway?

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »

Hey it was mentioned upthread quite a ways, but does anyone have any numbers regarding mobile game piracy versus PC or console game piracy?  I know you can jailbreak your phones and do ROMcarts and stuff, but all of that seems to take way more effort than just torrenting an iso.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »

This is a bit off-topic, but look at that example of "good" DRM-like thing for academic texts: no free knowledges for students, in addition to tuition fees you have to buy books with access codes to get grades.

Is it legal, anyway?

That's the least of the worst things in the Academia... Yea, I don't like the Academia that much...
The Academy people are as greedy as everyone else, the quest for expanding knowledge is just propoganda they tell everyone.

Master of all trades.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 01:50:41 PM »

Is it legal, anyway?

That's the least of the worst things in the Academia... Yea, I don't like the Academia that much...
The Academy people are as greedy as everyone else, the quest for expanding knowledge is just propoganda they tell everyone.
Yeah, last time I bought a university computer text digitally It came with drm that let me keep the book I paid for for (get this) 6 months. Needless to say I was pissed

Think happy thoughts.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »

So I want to express this thing I have been thinking on for some time.

HOW TO MAKE A GOOD DRM:

1. Make a Good Thing that will demonstrate an abundance of worth to the person who uses it.

2. Program into it a means of detecting whether the copy is legitimate, but take NO ACTION if it is not.

3. After a period of time or event where it can be ascertained that the Good Thing has demonstrated its value, make an appeal to users of illegitimate copies.  Explain that the Good Thing came from a Real Person who Worked Hard to make it and hopes you like it enough to justify its monetary cost.

4. Offer to let the person pay for the Good Thing.  Do not take it away from them if they do not.  Making further appeals only with great care; do not harass the user to the point where you detract value from the Thing.

Why is this a "Good DRM"?

- The "DRM" in question is extremely unlikely to be removed, given it poses zero restrictions and non-casual pirates (crackers, notably) tend to be believers in paying for things which have demonstrated their worth.

- By no means will all pirate users purchase the software, but some of them will.  Again, your case rests on demonstrating the value of your Thing, making a case that it's worth paying for, and making that easy to do.

- There is a chance that users who would not have purchased your Thing conventionally (the so-called "non-lost sales") may become paying customers, by virtue of imposing a conversion rate on pirate users.  It's not inconceivable that this could offset the "costs" of piracy.

Model citizen:

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2012, 03:16:58 PM »

Considering the number of people who've responded to equally polite requests with

"screw you, art should be free"
or
"if i paid for anything i would buy it from a big company because I trust them"
or
"if every sale counts for you you obviously suck at business and deserve to fail"

I doubt it would make any actual difference, although it might feel nice.

The "DRM" in question is extremely unlikely to be removed, given it poses zero restrictions and non-casual pirates (crackers, notably) tend to be believers in paying for things which have demonstrated their worth.

Except for the ones who want to crack everything so they can put their names in it. Some of them really enjoy modifying the title screens of games so that they can claim everything belongs to them.  Roll Eyes

I'm not arguing against it - I mostly don't bother putting DRM on my games at all, and I see no problem with a polite one - I'm just dubious of it having any effect.
ink.inc
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »

"screw you, art should be free"

Disgusting.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »

I think the "polite" DRM thing might actually warrant its own thread.  I'm gonna go start one...

It's over here

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2012, 08:53:40 PM »

I think the "polite" DRM thing might actually warrant its own thread.  I'm gonna go start one...

It's over here

I award you ten internets  Beer!

Think happy thoughts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic