Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:16:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIndie game deadline (Question)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Indie game deadline (Question)  (Read 4316 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »

Hmmm, I've never had much trouble rolling back to an earlier version with Dropbox. Being able to add comments and see differences definitely sounds nice, though.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Moczan
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »

Hmmm, I've never had much trouble rolling back to an earlier version with Dropbox. Being able to add comments and see differences definitely sounds nice, though.

My main problem with it is actually finding the right version to roll back. It's easy when you want to roll back to version of one file from 5 minutes, but if you ctrl+s all the time like me, getting few files to version from few days will be pain in ass, cause (unless it was changed) Dropbox lacks a good interface for checking out versions.
Also with DVCS you can easily clone, merge and branch your code, which is not something you do often as a solo developer, but if the time comes, it makes everything easy. AND it let's you integrate with bug tracker/to-do lists and all that stuff, which was the main feature discussed here.
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »

... how often do you commit and push changes ...

Every day (that changed anything) with a brief summary of what was done. The repository itself is also in the Dropbox folder.

nikwing
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »

I don't know if this question is OOT but i forgot to add in in the original post.

How you guys decide when to ship the game? and avoiding feature creep?

thank you
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »

As for versioning, I just number the builds released to anybody not directly involved in creating the code sequentially - version 1, version 2, version 3, etc. At least that way the order of releases is perfectly clear.

Version control: I commit whenever I make a major change and everything works again (code compiles, feature that was just added works properly), and at the end of the day if I have any uncommitted changes.

I like to use version control (SVN is my version control system of choice) even when working solo because it allows me to charge right ahead and implement something hard to undo that might mess up the entire thing, because I can just right-click and select 'revert' if it ends up not working. It also allows me to read deleted and replaced code, which can be useful for finding bugs (bug X appears after you changed Y, what was it like before?) among other things.
James Coote
Level 1

Spoon Thumb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 12:32:32 AM »

and avoiding feature creep?

Don't write expandable code. If you catch yourself with generics and templates and object oriented hierarchies far larger than is really needed, you are subconsciously thinking about all the great features you could add in later using them. Also, by doing that, you're actually wasting time making overly complex structures that are harder to maintain.

Crystalline Green - Android Games Developers
ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »

I've spent my career working on license titles that no-one really cared about, so long as they had something to put in the box, so I was determined not to release until we felt good about the game.

That said, the financial pressure is pretty high, and if you work on it until the sight of it makes you want to threw up, its quite hard to put your heart into marketing the thing.

btw I really like your blog Chris.  Thanks.

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 02:10:21 AM »

Don't write expandable code. If you catch yourself with generics and templates and object oriented hierarchies far larger than is really needed, you are subconsciously thinking about all the great features you could add in later using them. Also, by doing that, you're actually wasting time making overly complex structures that are harder to maintain.
Yes, yes, yes. I could not agree more.

Plus, after a while you *always* learn your previous template was not optimal and you could do it better now so you want to recode the template in your next project as well, which defeats the original purpose of generic templates Smiley

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 03:40:08 AM »

Don't write expandable code.

This should be stamped on a wall. Hardcode stuff unless you are actually planning on expanding. And by planning I mean "this was designed and decided before code started happening".

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 05:50:39 AM »

Hmm... can't say I agree, personally.

I prefer all my code to be modular, expandable and as reusable as possible. That way it's much easier to modify the game in the light of playtesting. This is, after all, the way to make good games - get something working and then iteratively change and improve things.

If you ever catch yourself making game design decisions based on the capabilities of your code you should stop and think about whether or not those code limitations could have been avoided with a more flexible code architecture.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic