Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:50:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGetting started
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 1252 times)
oladitan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »

hello I am planning to begin game development. I have chosen to start off using actionscript 3 and posting games online to make add revenue with adsense. is this a good plan. thank you.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:08:59 PM by oladitan » Logged
Schwiggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »

What are your goals and related experience?

kacper_weiland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »

Good choice. Pick-up flashpunk and learn it with few days. Then start to make games.
I assume that you're familiar with programming.
One thing more, check this out: http://ezinearticles.com/?Flash-Games---10-Ways-To-Make-Money-From-Creating-Them!&id=561236
Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:08:30 PM by phin! » Logged
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »

If you are completely new to game development...

...you should focusing on creating small, simple games. Don't worry about making money from the start, that will only act as a distraction. You should be happy if anyone even bothers to play your first few games, as they'll probably be crap (almost everyone's first games are crap). That said, you can get a small amount of ad revenue if you publish your game on a games portal. But that's a small bonus, not something you can rely or depend on.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Uykered
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »

Don't try and make games for money until you've made games (you need experience first).
Moczan
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:20:37 AM »

Don't try and make games for money until you've made games (you need experience first).

Nothing stops you from throwing MochiAds into your game, it will earn you a buck or two which is better than nothing.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:35:26 AM »

Moczan, I disagree.

Putting ads in games risks further putting off potential players. When you are just getting started, more players giving feedback is more valuable.

Also, integrating ads into your games shifts focus from actual game-creation.

Also, ads are blergh.

Moczan
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »

Moczan, I disagree.

Putting ads in games risks further putting off potential players. When you are just getting started, more players giving feedback is more valuable.
Flash crowd is pretty much used to seeing Mochi/CPMStar and nobody whines about it now (unlike 5 years ago), the most popular games use them, so players ignore them most of the time. Posting on portals like Kongregate or Newgrounds your game will be easily played by thousands of players, just putting some statistics system will let you analyse the shit out of it, not even saying about hundreds of people giving you elaborate feedback. Players just don't care, the game has to load anyway and most of the time they will be browsing on other tab or something.

Remember that requiring to download is like hundreds of times bigger barrier of entry than having a web version with ads.
Also, integrating ads into your games shifts focus from actual game-creation.
Those are one-liners, really, I don't understand this argument.

I released my first game in January this year. Like most first games, it is bad, but it was great learning experience for me. Thanks for it being a Flash game, it has been played somewhere between 50 000 - 100 000 times and other than 'your game sucks' comments, I got a lot of constructive criticism about almost every aspect of the game from a lot of strangers who took their time and wrote me an e-mail or comment. Also, not being butt-hurt about ads let me buy a new laptop which was a great bonus.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:12:53 AM by Moczan » Logged
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:24:33 AM »

Hm, yes, I guess Flash is a special case.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »

yeah i don't think there's harm in putting ads in flash games, but i also don't think it'd be worth the effort if a game is only going to get like 1000 views max anyway (which comes out to like what, 0.4 cents in ad revenue?). and someone's first flash game will probably not attract the number of players necessary to justify bothering to put in ads

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic