Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:49:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationDyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Dyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]  (Read 127583 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2008, 03:31:20 AM »

That's the problem on the Mac, you can't do it this way - has to be packaged into an app I think.

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2008, 07:07:25 AM »

if you really need to pack it into an app, i think i can't help you with mac support, cause i've never heared of that ending. I've never used a mac for more that 2 minutes, except that very very very old one that could only dilplay green color and used these big floppies. And with this computur my skills were reduced to playing frogger.
back2topic:
I think, if we can manage it somehow to let the Game run on Linux, i think the step to Mac isn't far anymore.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2008, 07:20:06 AM »

I'll see about getting an Ubuntu distribution installed at some point.

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2008, 07:58:49 AM »

I'll see about getting an Ubuntu distribution installed at some point.

If you get an Ubuntu, I'll port it over to Debian if you want.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2008, 08:06:08 AM »

Wouldn't it just work on either?

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »

@dmoonfire: are you able to make packages? I am not, but you should know, that there is no tao package, and this game depends on tao.

@haowan: I am also using Ubuntu, Kubuntu to be more precisely Wink But it is not easy to install TAO on linux.
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2008, 08:52:26 AM »

Yeah, actually I'm one of the people who did the original packages for Tao. Tongue Then others took over because I'm unreliable. Its on Sid (of course), under the libtaoframework-*-X.Y-cil where * is one of the major packages, like "libtaoframework-opengl-2.1-cil". Ditto for SDL and pretty much everything but "libtaoframework-cg" I think.

They should be ported over to Ubuntu, if not, they are fairly well self-contained and you might be able to build them on Ubuntu from the source.

It is easier to go from Debian to Ubuntu, at least in my opinion. However, it isn't that hard to port since most of the debian-mono and ubuntu mono guys are the same people and chat in the same channel. Smiley
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2008, 08:55:07 AM »

Right I have absolutely no idea what most of that meant. Not inspiring me with a lot of confidence! Tired

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2008, 10:06:21 AM »

Right I have absolutely no idea what most of that meant. Not inspiring me with a lot of confidence! Tired

`apt-get update`
`apt-cache search libtaoframework | grep libtaoframework`

That should give you the list of Tao Linux packages. If there is no such thing, then they need to be ported. Smiley And if you want me to make a Debian package, I can do that as soon as I get back to my apartment.
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2008, 10:57:32 AM »

I can only talk for Ubuntu, and there is no ubuntupackage
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »

On the Mac, it's a matter of packing it up into an .app file, which is doable but not so easy for someone with no bash-fu, and I don't know how to get any information out of crashes; the window flashes up and disappears again and gives me no more info.

Packing into a .app isn't essential.  It's just the nice Mac-standard way of doing things.  You can certainly run in a more traditional "just drop the executable into a folder with the data files placed next to it" approach.  A lot of ported games do exactly that, and the Mac SDL samples (including the provided objective c stub) are written assuming that you're going to want to work this way.

I know it took me quite a while to make .app bundles work correctly in my game engine. Needed special code to make sure it tried to open files from the correct directory within the bundle, and that the working directory is set correctly;  that sort of thing doesn't seem to be handled automatically.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2008, 11:20:30 PM »

Packing into a .app isn't essential. 

I read that it was. I will try some more from the command line though.

mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2008, 03:48:04 AM »

Packing into a .app isn't essential. 

I read that it was. I will try some more from the command line though.
Oo.  If it's running via mono, then I don't really know.  I was just assuming it was a bog standard native executable.
Pfhortipfhy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »

Packing into a .app isn't essential.  It's just the nice Mac-standard way of doing things.  You can certainly run in a more traditional "just drop the executable into a folder with the data files placed next to it" approach.
A little off topic, how does a native mac user run the program?  I didn't know it was possible...

EDIT: Whoops... forgot this was in the back of the forum.  Sorry for the necropost!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:59:03 PM by Pfhortipfhy » Logged
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2008, 12:00:55 PM »

I haven't managed to get it running on Mac yet. Sorry Sad

vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2008, 05:30:01 PM »

Would it be possible to either get a download of the original Dyson (before the whole levels thing came into existence)?

All the links I can find now link to the new Dyson instead of the old Dyson (which I lost), and I preferred the old Dyson.

Wait! I preferred the old Dyson, yes, but because in new Dyson, you can only do the levels, which are not nearly as fun as just having a big asteroid belt with scattered AI players.

If you could make that possible in new Dyson, though, please, do it.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2008, 04:19:18 AM »

I guess you guys forgot to leave 'Skirmish' mode in the game. Tongue I agree that it would be pretty awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2008, 03:04:14 AM »

Would it be possible to either get a download of the original Dyson (before the whole levels thing came into existence)?

All the links I can find now link to the new Dyson instead of the old Dyson (which I lost), and I preferred the old Dyson.

Wait! I preferred the old Dyson, yes, but because in new Dyson, you can only do the levels, which are not nearly as fun as just having a big asteroid belt with scattered AI players.

Level 3 in the new Dyson is the same as the ONLY level in the old Dyson......
I am not sure I follow, you are complaining that there are MORE levels to play? :-D
try it!

(I will see if we can have a seperate link for old-school Dyson fans though ;-) )

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2008, 03:12:24 AM »

Level 3 in the new Dyson is the same as the ONLY level in the old Dyson......
I am not sure I follow, you are complaining that there are MORE levels to play? :-D
try it!

(I will see if we can have a seperate link for old-school Dyson fans though ;-) )

"Skirmish" as in multiplayer? We are focusing on the singleplayer game atm, as that is hard enough with just the two of us and our audio guy. Maybe Dyson 2? "The DYSONING!"

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2008, 05:10:14 AM »

Skirmish is not multiplayer, it's singleplayer where you can edit the coditions of battle against AI opponents, like choosing map, number of opponents, alliances, etc prior to starting the match.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic