Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 07:22:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesGang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: Gang Garrison II (FINISHED) [NEW WEBSITE]  (Read 478008 times)
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2008, 09:11:22 AM »

I have a good suggestion that I pointed out in that thread earlier.

Could you guys share the lobby server exe?
That way a separate lobby could be hosted for the unofficial versions.

All that would have to be changed in the unofficial clients is the constant variable that GM uses to connect to the lobby. Would just have to make it a global variable instead  Grin

This would also save the problem of official clients not working with games hosted by unofficial clients.

Better yet, if the unofficial ones can get merged into the official ones...then I say its a damn great idea!  Beer!

Oh also, I haven't played the real TF2 ever since I got this lol. Even though it isn't quite the same, I am still more for 2D games than 3D ones lately  Gentleman

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
J-Factor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »

Hi, I'm the author of the unofficial version.

I'm going to guess that these features would make 'official' clients and 'unofficial' servers incompatible with each other, and vice versa?  If so, it would be helpful to alter the unofficial builds to use a different server port or otherwise inform incompatible clients that they shouldn't connect.

I incremented the protocol version. I assume this would prevent clients with the official version 1.11 from joining unofficial version 1.12 servers.

If the author of this unofficial update is reading this, give us a post or send me an email or something. I'd love to hear about how you pulled this off, and I'd be interested in including some, if not all, of your updates in the official version.

First up, I really like the game. Great job you've done. GM games with working online are few and far between. Didn't really expect this to get so far - I was just making something quick for those on /v/ to mess with.

I'll PM you the source and see if I can remember exactly what parts I changed. It's a bit of a hack job in places but hopefully you can clean it up a bit.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2008, 09:18:54 AM »

How did that game land on 4chan anyway? was it someone from TIGS who made some publicity for the game over there? Or someone from 4chan who found it by himself?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2008, 09:32:58 AM »

Hi, I'm the author of the unofficial version.

Hello. What do you think about the idea of having a separate lobby setup for testing unofficial edits? I have the source also, and could help out when I am not at work.

~Thinking of doing a Cyberpunk rts/rpg using Pixel-Art/Sprites as well as chiptune music and other 8-bit stuff.
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2008, 09:37:08 AM »

These updates are great. Beer! Although do merge worthy changes into the main client in order to minimize splitting of the player base.

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
Renton
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »

How did that game land on 4chan anyway? was it someone from TIGS who made some publicity for the game over there? Or someone from 4chan who found it by himself?

It was the author of the post above who brought the rain of hell upon us.
IDTL
Level 0

Woo.

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2008, 09:40:37 AM »

-snip-
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:51:20 AM by IDTL » Logged
patonki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2008, 09:45:35 AM »

Registered here to give a few suggestions.

As the sniper is god-like right now, Id suggest making him do less damage, and taking away the abilty to see far. Now, when you press the right mouse button, you go into scope mode, which makes you do more damage, give the farsight back and giving the player limited view, something like this:

And also concider slowing the sniper down when scoped.

If both teams have their inteligences away from the inteligence room, they cannot cap the intel. Could only be on the unoffical version, havent tried.

It would be also neat to be able to call for medic with the e button. y'know, some sort of speach bubble with a red cross on it.

Also, ubers.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:50:35 AM by patonki » Logged
J-Factor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2008, 09:47:42 AM »

Hello. What do you think about the idea of having a separate lobby setup for testing unofficial edits? I have the source also, and could help out when I am not at work.
As far as I can tell the lobby/client automatically filters the servers based on the protocol version. You can see this yourself by comparing the official version's lobby with the unofficial's. One idea would be to reuse the lower protocol numbers (1-10) if anymore edits are made, although I don't really know what's happening right now. Most edits would be shortlived enough that reusing shouldn't be a problem.

Although a seperate testing lobby would be neat.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2008, 09:48:01 AM »

I incremented the protocol version. I assume this would prevent clients with the official version 1.11 from joining unofficial version 1.12 servers.

You don't even get to see servers from a different version than your client in the Lobby. So there's technically no need for a different Lobby Server for different builds.

Concerning the modded version itself, I like the improvements, but it's not a nice move to just publish a modified version without asking. Thanks for sending back the changes, at least. I'd be in a pretty stupid situation otherwise.

@IDTL: I went to /v/ the first time two days ago. I wasn't the one who posted about the game there, and I don't have quite the same attitude towards copyright as you do.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2008, 09:52:36 AM »

Ah yes. That is a great lobby system I must say then.
It's as easy as using a different protocol for the unofficial one  Grin

Btw, this was posted in the thread

"we need a dramatic zoom-in DEATHCAM for deaths.

DO WANT. NEEDS ZOOM-IN SOUND TOO."

I like the sound of this. It can show their name and do the zoom in during the delay before we respawn.

Renton
« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »

"Dude", I'm all in for "spread news of the game, play it, and take it upon themselves to contribute content to the game" stuff. "Your game was crap, we made it better, you are big fags for getting angry at our hacking the game without consent, copyright is gay" attitude, I could do without.
HELLTRIKKY
Level 0

They'r gonna have to glue you back together...

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »

[...]It would be also neat to be able to call for medic with the e button. y'know, some sort of speach bubble with a red cross on it.

Also, ubers.

Grin

...IN HELL!!
gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2008, 10:03:05 AM »

It was the author of the post above who brought the rain of hell upon us.

As for the peoples attitudes on /v/ .. welcome to the internet. Why get angry over a few inconsiderate people? Even TIG Source has its trolls.

If I was the developer of GG2, I'd be ecstatic about its rise in popularity.

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2008, 10:05:15 AM »

As for the peoples attitudes on /v/ .. welcome to the internet. Why get angry over a few inconsiderate people? Even TIG Source has its trolls.

I agree. Rather than raging about people who made a negative comment instead of a expected positive approach....or were trolling, lets just enjoy the fact that the game has this kind of popularity eh?  Gentleman

roladka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2008, 10:05:54 AM »

"Dude", I'm all in for "spread news of the game, play it, and take it upon themselves to contribute content to the game" stuff. "Your game was crap, we made it better, you are big fags for getting angry at our hacking the game without consent, copyright is gay" attitude, I could do without.
What are you talking about? We just want to enjoy the game, /v/ never showed such attitude.
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »

No individual on /v/ might think like that, but this is certainly what comes across if you read all the posts together and think about /v/ as one entity.

I'd really like to make this game something like an  open source project, but I can't see a way to do this without getting complete version chaos, since Game Maker games are apparently impossible to manage with version management software like CVS. That's why I wanted to complete the game somewhat before opensourcing it - to prevent this from happening before the game was even finished.

If anyone knows a good way to manage shared development on GM projects, I'd really like to try it. It would make a lot of stuff easier - level developers could just add the levels and walls themselves for example, once the code for level switching is done.

Edit: This is in fact one of the many reasons why I regretted using GM.
Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2008, 10:20:07 AM »

Ugh, the last place you want this game to turn up on is 4chan. 4chan has a tendency for breeding assholes, and you can be sure this game'll be filled with them pretty quickly because of it.
Vaati
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »

Hey MedO, tested out both the official and unofficial versions and this is what's happening:

Official bugs: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2491.msg75701#msg75701

Unofficial:

-Lag issues although less unexpected errors client side
-For some strange reason, now the server's getting errors every now and then too pausing the gameplay until you choose to abort/ignore

I think a lot of the changes on the unofficial are awesome, the spy's abilities are perfect and the medic isn't completely helpless now that he can auto regen (like on tf2).

Also, been working on a remake of 2dfort for you, I have most of the "homebase" done and the outside/bride/sewer will follow shortly. BLU's base is just going to be a simple copy paste of red's Tongue I also added in some details o get a feel for coloring, it'd be great to know what you think.
zephro
Level 0

Spinning Medic

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »

Ugh, the last place you want this game to turn up on is 4chan. 4chan has a tendency for breeding assholes, and you can be sure this game'll be filled with them pretty quickly because of it.

Well maybe it should just be that development is kept here, and that just gameplay goes on in /v/. Many people there will gladly suggest ideas and give opinions, but the last thing any of this needs is trolls...or idiots, ruining it.

Only those who know what they are doing, should be editing the GM source for this in the first place....if you ask me.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic