Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 12:55:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Drake
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Drake  (Read 1445 times)
Eniko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »

Project Drake aims to be a 2.5D isometric sandbox RPG. It is inspired by such games as the Ultima series and Morrowind in terms of having an open world, exploration, and being a living world. It is further inspired by games such as Minecraft, Ultima Online, and to a lesser extent the Fable games in terms of giving players agency of the world by letting them modify the landscape, build structures, and eventually even create towns alongside the NPC towns which will be automatically generated. Finally it hopes to mix cinematic action RPG combat with the depth and complexity of graphical roguelikes.

... However it is currently a game about beating up evil knights for their lunch money. Here's a showcase of the features of version 0.2, released today:

Recent screenshots

Features as of 0.2:

• 2.5D engine with orthographic 3D terrain mesh and 2D sprites for blocks and entities
  • Sprites contain normal and depth information which allows for intersection and lighting (lighting not yet implemented) as well as outlines and SSAO in the future
  • Randomly generates worlds approximately 67 square kilometres in size
  • Worlds have varying terrain of oceans, continents, smaller islands, hills and mountains
  • Spend gold to build blocks and modify the landscape
  • Saves are represented as procedurally generated planets in menus and on the title screen
  • Automatically generated burnt parchment and ink worldmaps
  • Minimap and map marking system
  • Fast database driven save system which is ACID compliant to guard against corruption
  • Background loading/saving/generation of chunks to keep a smooth framerate
  • Basic collision, enemy AI, combat and spawning
  • Fast, runs well on low end hardware

Alpha is currently semi-closed, but all it takes is to send me a message and I'll point you to the installation instructions. For more information, screenshots and frequent updates see the dev blog at ProjectDrake.com.

So, now that the pitch is over...
This is basically supposed to be my dream game. I want a player to feel like their world is really their world to explore, immerse themselves in, and shape. Whether it's by taking over the existing towns, building new ones and attracting people to come live there, creating a pirate outpost on some remote rocky island, or by plundering every cave and dungeon they come across.

The setting itself will be a mix of fantasy, steampunk, and scavenged cyberpunk. One of the major goals is to let players buy and/or build their own ships and use them as mobile bases. Eventually I want to even have player owned airships. I'm hoping to make combat fast and cinematic, and I want character development to be diverse and not solely combat focussed.

Currently there's not much content. In 0.1 I got the core engine working and the basic idea of "beat up evil knights, take lunch money, build blocks" going. After that for 0.2 I focussed on bug fixing, code refactoring, speed, usability and stability. Now that that's finally done (oh god it was like it would never end) I can finally start adding content and gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:06:04 AM by Eniko » Logged

Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »

So, now that the pitch is over...
This is basically supposed to be my dream game. I want a player to feel like their world is really their world to explore, immerse themselves in, and shape. Whether it's by taking over the existing towns, building new ones and attracting people to come live there, creating a pirate outpost on some remote rocky island, or by plundering every cave and dungeon they come across.

sounds like some sort of medieval sim-like game. looking pretty amazing so far!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

It might not be necessary, but I think the land portions of the map could be a little greener, because if you look at a weird map the wrong way, you can think the water's the land. Not really a big deal, but just worth considering. If you're going to have it, the pulse on the player icon should appear more often.

I kind of like that there's no need for finding a block merchant or anything to make blocks - they just cost money. I'm not sure what your idea for that is, though.

I think the blocks should turn transparent, with a black square under them if you don't want to draw the terrain, rather than not having them turn transparent at all. It would be nice if you could do a 'cut-away', like The Sims does. It would just require a cut-away version of the sprite (cut in half, for example).

I was impressed at the quality of your water shader - it's pretty cool.

I think that the characters don't really feel like they're 'on' the slopes - I think scaling them by the distance away from the camera might help. Although, then it wouldn't really be 2.5D, so I'm not sure.

Dirt would be good to break up the monotony between the rocks and the grass.

EDIT: Anyway, the game's looking pretty good so far. Nice job!

Eniko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:26:25 AM »

It might not be necessary, but I think the land portions of the map could be a little greener, because if you look at a weird map the wrong way, you can think the water's the land. Not really a big deal, but just worth considering. If you're going to have it, the pulse on the player icon should appear more often.
Not sure if I follow on the greenness, but I'll look into it, and make the marker pulse more often.

I kind of like that there's no need for finding a block merchant or anything to make blocks - they just cost money. I'm not sure what your idea for that is, though.
I have to play around with that, but for now the plan is that there'll be two ways to build; the resource gathering way like Minecraft or Terraria, or the commission way. One of the things in games like Minecraft and Terraria that bothers me is that there is a pretty low ceiling for building efficiency, because no matter if you have all the best gear and automated harvesting in the game, you still gotta go out and mine resources and it never gets significantly faster after a point.

So for those who are unimpressed with resource gathering to begin with, or end game players, you'll be able to just throw gold at the matter. It's probably going to be abstracted out, but I figure it's like commissioning NPC builders to come build stuff for you.

I think the blocks should turn transparent, with a black square under them if you don't want to draw the terrain, rather than not having them turn transparent at all. It would be nice if you could do a 'cut-away', like The Sims does. It would just require a cut-away version of the sprite (cut in half, for example).
I just realized a way I could fade the blocks down to the terrain that should be efficient enough. The reason why I can't make blocks themselves transparent is that there is no way that wouldn't mess with fullscreen postprocessing effects like SSAO or outlines. After all, you can't blend opacity or normals together.

I was impressed at the quality of your water shader - it's pretty cool.

I think that the characters don't really feel like they're 'on' the slopes - I think scaling them by the distance away from the camera might help. Although, then it wouldn't really be 2.5D, so I'm not sure.

Dirt would be good to break up the monotony between the rocks and the grass.

EDIT: Anyway, the game's looking pretty good so far. Nice job!
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the water myself. :D

I think partly to blame is the stock sprite I'm using, though I'm thinking of doing a blur effect depending on depth relative to the player later, so maybe that'll work out. Scaling would be a nightmare, so that's out. I'll have to have my own art in for the player sprite before I'm gonna try and fix the floaty feeling.

And more variety in terrain than just "water, grass, rocks" is definitely in the planning. Eventually it'll be tile by tile with proper transitions. Smiley

Eniko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »

So after taking a few weeks off from life in general, I got back on the horse again today. Rigged up my character's 3d model, and threw together a basic walk cycle. It still needs a bunch of tweaks, but I created a little animated gif to give a sense of what the style is gonna be:

Tomorrow I'll probably start working on the rendering utility (since Blender can't render world space normals WTF) and maybe get a better version up.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »

Nice cycle. I think his arms shouldn't 'pump' when his legs are crossing - they should probably remain almost straight the whole time. Also, it seems like his head's really far forward. Does he have a neck?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:45:26 PM »

Walking like a bawss,
haters gonna hate.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Eniko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »

Nice cycle. I think his arms shouldn't 'pump' when his legs are crossing - they should probably remain almost straight the whole time. Also, it seems like his head's really far forward. Does he have a neck?
He has a neck, the camera angle is probably obscuring it. It's tiny compared to the head. Here's a much older render of the female version (mesh unchanged), with I think a less from-the-top angle, with the neck visible:

I'll have to check if messing with the body's inverse kinematics sloped the head forward. Totally agree on the arm pump, it needs to be less. I probably should use this as the base for a walk and a run cycle, since it's too exaggerated for a walk cycle, but too understated for a run cycle.

Walking like a bawss,
haters gonna hate.
Haha yeah, that was totally accidental, but still amusing.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic