Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:53:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Raster Flash games: single bitmap vs. display list?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Raster Flash games: single bitmap vs. display list?  (Read 3164 times)
archagon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »

DrPetter mentioned that he used a single bitmap for Chup's graphics: "The bitmap graphics are all done by simply copying rectangular regions between different bitmaps and having a single 320x240 one attached to the scene at 2x scaling. It all basically ends up being exactly like coding pixel games in any traditional language/api."

The flixel framework, on the other hand, uses more conventional display list techniques.

What are the pros and cons of each method?
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »

I was brand new to Flash development when I wrote my engine, which is similar to Flixel.  I didn't even know of the 'direct' method you speak of which is used in Chup.

I haven't run into any performance problems, but I'm not doing anything all that taxing either.  I'll probably give the other method a shot too for my next game, just to see the differences.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:43:53 PM »

Oh shit Flixel's online now? I'll have to check that out.
For the engine I've been piecing together for work, I have it set up to use DisplayObject, BitmapData, and two custom classes (BitmapAnimation and ParticleSystem) interchangeably. The performance boost you get for direct blitting is really tremendous, but losing the ability to rotate and scale is a bitch. Mixing the two is a pretty good way to play it if you can pull it off, IMO.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »

The flixel framework, on the other hand, uses more conventional display list techniques.
No it doesn't, unless I'm confused. It does the same thing as Chup. It draws the sprites into an internal buffer in the FlxSprite.render() function.
archagon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:04:54 PM »

Oh, really? I haven't looked at the framework yet, but grumblebee on MeFi says otherwise.

It's also possible that I'm completely and utterly confused.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »

What he's saying is that you have the option to render vector graphics into flixel's internal screen buffer, which then gets displayed on the screen as a simple bitmap without any other fancy display objects.
archagon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:27:12 PM »

Ah! I see.

The question still stands though, because other people (like Matt) are using the display list method.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:15 PM »

Basically, if you want to use pixel art, use the raster method.

If you want to use non-pixel art, but you don't want to think too hard about optimization, use the display list.

If you want to use non-pixel art, but you care a lot about optimization, study both methods, learn how they work and why they're useful, and use a hybrid approach that is a good fit for your application. I like to create vector graphics, and then render them to a bitmap once, and then parade that bitmap around my display list as a sprite instead of the original vector graphics.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 12:01:48 AM »

Hey, yeah, I should add something like that to my thing! Man, people keep giving me great ideas today  Grin

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 02:43:03 AM »

There's a nice brief article on GamePoetry about just this:
http://www.gamepoetry.com/blog/2008/10/17/fastest-frame-rates-with-optimized-rendering/

He gives three cases for rendering:

1.  DisplayList with vectors/bitmaps/anything and everything.

2.  Raster method of copyPixel'ing all your graphics to a single bitmap which is your "screen".

3.  DisplayList, but limiting yourself to bitmaps without any fancy effects applied to them.

Unsurprisingly 1 is pretty damn slow.  2 and 3 however are very similar in speed, and he actually found 3 to be slightly faster (not sure how much optimisation of 2 he did though - like only clearing areas of the bitmapdata that have changed since the last frame.)

I happily used rastering for my first Flash projects, as I'm used to working with setting pixels on a screen.  For my current project I'm working with the displaylist, and limiting myself to bitmaps.  I'm doing just fine with performance so far, and it looks just the same as if I were copyPixel'ing to a screen.  I figure it will also do me good to get to grips with what's a pretty central component of Flash.
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 09:11:59 AM »

I find it pretty ironic that Flash started off as a vector graphics tool, but is now best at sprite-based games Sad
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »

Raster graphics is inherently computationally easy. It would be a shame if Flash *couldn't* do that. But Flash also gives you the option to do much more complicated stuff, and I applaud that.
archagon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 11:27:42 AM »

Salt, thank you! That's brilliant. (And everyone else, too! Especially John.)
Johan Peitz
Level 1

88 mph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »

It's not that hard implementing a display list (shouldn't that be display tree?) on a blitting engine. And having the possibility to assign children to an object is extremely convinient. I do have a hard time beliving that option 3 should be faster than option 2. Flash does so many crappy things. Smiley If you optimize a blitting engine it should become much faster.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic