Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:46:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsScout And The Whispering Forest - Music Samples OPEN
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Scout And The Whispering Forest - Music Samples OPEN  (Read 2865 times)
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »

This is a reworking of my previous project: Scout: a pin and a boy.
Scout now works on a system based on random events. Every quest is randomly chosen from a large pool of quests, and these quests also can change the course of a play through and give the player new abilities, such as a speed buff ability. These Abilities are given in the form of merit badges, in true Scouting fashion  Wink.

Example of the badge system. Here you can see a text box system and the art too. Some is placeholder.

Inspirations: Undertale, Binding of Isaac (for RNG), and life.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:05:15 AM by Crabby » Logged

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »

I think it's time for me to dump some of the art pieces that I have designed so far. So here.

These are food synthesis packets for a spaceman character. The whole point of this game is that since the Whispering Forest is more of a hodgepodge area of characters, I can create whatever I want, within reason, to expand the world and to make it unique. And that spaceman is down below!

He also has this rover character. You actually have him as a companion for one of the quests, which is so WIP that I can't show it right now.

I also have some other art, but most is shown in the GIF above. So, back to working on that quest.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »

A message from our spaceman S.P.A.C.E. (pun intended)
He's preaching about how bad astronaut ice cream is. This game is a unique one.
But do you share the same opinion? Go vote on my twitter page @CrabbyDev. Maybe you actually like a brick of chalk...I mean ice cream  Wink.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Cipheres
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:29:19 PM »

This actually looks rather interesting.  I'm not too clear on how the gameplay will work, but I really like the art design.  Simplistic, yes, but yet mysterious in a weird but cool sort of way.  I also like how you threw a space man in there for no real apparent reason.  I'll be keeping an eye on this project.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 03:48:47 AM »

This actually looks rather interesting.  I'm not too clear on how the gameplay will work, but I really like the art design.  Simplistic, yes, but yet mysterious in a weird but cool sort of way.  I also like how you threw a space man in there for no real apparent reason.  I'll be keeping an eye on this project.
Thanks!  Smiley You'll find a lot of random characters in this project. I'm still working on the gameplay, but the idea so far is that you do quests for these characters, and then you gain new abilities from them. You then use said abilities to take on bosses that are littered randomly throughout the forest, leading up to a final boss that I won't spoil too much of just yet.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 02:49:29 PM »

Devlog 1
In a series of 3 Devlogs, I'm going to be talking about my three inspirations for this game.
Let's begin with Undertale.
This is a big one. Undertale is an RPG that defies all traditional means, in my eyes. It changes out a turn based RPG battle system for a fresh shoot-em-up take on a battle system. Also, it has characters that I think make the plot and story both funny while also sending a serious message about non-violence and the take on if genocide in games really has no consequences. And it's pretty hilarious.

As you can see, I really like Undertale. But how does it apply to Scout And The Whispering Forest?
Well, I want to design characters that are unique and somehow all have something to give. Undertale's characters are all different, and I want to convey that variety. So far, I have a coffee addict and a spaceman programmed, but my concepts also allow room for a mobster, anime fan, and a whole array of colorful ninjas that come out of one of those capsule machines you find at supermarkets that dispense toys or candy. I also have many more ideas for a whole cast of randomly found characters that will all share their thoughts on the forest environment they live in, and help the player by providing badges that can change the player's skillset, and maybe provide companions too! Bosses are also planned that show the forest's dark side. Undertale's reinventing of the RPG is one of 3 inspirations that I am combining, along with inspiration from Binding Of Isaac's RNG system and my weird life, so I think this game is going to be quite an odd one.

P.S: be prepared to see stuff like Devlog 1.1 to 1.9, because I might want to show off other things too!  Smiley

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »

Devlog 2
In this Devlog, I'd like to share some information about the deeper story to Scout And The Whispering Forest, and also discuss my second inspiration for the game, the Binding of Isaac.
The game starts out with you, a boy (or girl), venturing into a forest. Then, you come across a shopkeeper.
She sells voodoo dolls. She offers you one, but it comes at a terrible price. She casts a spell on you, which sends you into the Whispering Forest. From there, you meet your voodoo doll friend, and you both go out into an adventure that has you meeting a variety of characters and using your new voodoo abilities in the hope that you can regain your earthly life and escape the Whispering Forest.

Now onto the second part of this devlog, the discussion about my second inspiration, the Binding of Isaac. This game is one of the best examples of random generation that I have seen. It has random generation all over the place. The rooms, the item choice, the boss choice, secret rooms, while not being too hectic or looking too random or unfair. Well, unfair may not be the best term. This game is difficult. But beyond that, how does it connect with Scout And The Whispering Forest? Well, I want to have random encounters, similar to this Binding of Isaac style of random rooms. My system, however, will have random quests, that have a lot more meat to them. An example is the spaceman quest. This quest will have many other rooms used in it, and will provides the player with a new ability. It will work like a boss room, a treasure room, and advance the plot. I'll have more meat to share soon. My main task is making sure all of the features are in place before building a big quest like the concept I have described here.
See you next devlog!  Smiley

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »

I made a child model for npc design. Here it is in all of its barebones glory, and a few other designs using this model are showcased on my Twitter page. I'm probably going to experiment with this new model and dump images onto that Twitter, so if you are interested, follow me or look me up @CrabbyDev.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Cipheres
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:57:49 PM »

I made a child model for npc design. Here it is in all of its barebones glory, and a few other designs using this model are showcased on my Twitter page. I'm probably going to experiment with this new model and dump images onto that Twitter, so if you are interested, follow me or look me up @CrabbyDev.

Looks a bit... Naked
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »

Clothes go on top. I pixel them on top when I make a new sprite. They don't stay naked for very long!  Smiley

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »

Devlog 3!
So I hit 20 followers on my twitter, which is where I post all of my scout art and gifs, so go check that out!
And now into the meat of the devlog.
What have I done recently in terms of coding? Well, I am primarily focusing on the text system. Textboxes are now simple to create, which leads to NPC characters being easy to program dialogue for! Here's an example, and see if you can spot the reference. Link below.
http://gfycat.com/UnripeAthleticIndigowingedparrot
I am also going to share some concept info for a new area that will be one of the largest areas in the whole game. This area is called Tarot City.
Tarot City is a major town in the Whispering Forest. I plan for players to come across it when you find a certain NPC, who I will not reveal yet. This NPC will guide you to the city.

More info about this city is listed below.
Rather than being an integral part to the story, if the random generation doesn't give the player this city, it doesn't destroy the plot.

Nothing in this city is mandatory, but it could give players an edge, because many NPCs populate the city.
Only some NPCs will give badges however, so not all are useful, but some just have funny dialogue.
Instead of just having a bunch of different NPCs spaced out, Tarot City will allow players who aren't doing well to gain an edge, or speed runners to gain badges fast.
Rare badges can also be found in this city, that will give some abilities that could help a player, but they come at a price.

Here are a few NPCs I designed recently too!

oh and I hid something NPC related in this post. find it to find out who will take you to Tarot City.
Tarot City is going to be implemented sometime in the near future, but it will probably take a much more simple state to start out.
Thats all for now! Follow @CrabbyDev for some more info when I have it or develop it!

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 05:07:22 PM »

I've yet to play Undertale - I know, I know!! - but I like the way you sort of aren't explaining much here in the devlog, and leaving it for us to discover. Are you taking that same approach in game? Because I think that could be very effective, combined with the graphics/gameplay you've got going on. I'd rather NOT be hit with tutorials, but just explore and see what happens.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 06:17:23 PM »

It's the guy with the cool design shirt going to Tarot city, maybe!  I like the character right above too, who / what are they?   

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 03:37:49 AM »

I've yet to play Undertale - I know, I know!! - but I like the way you sort of aren't explaining much here in the devlog, and leaving it for us to discover. Are you taking that same approach in game? Because I think that could be very effective, combined with the graphics/gameplay you've got going on. I'd rather NOT be hit with tutorials, but just explore and see what happens.
Thanks for the kind words!
The game only has two main actions, talk and move, so tutorials aren't really extremely necessary. The badge system is where the game gets more complicated.
What I plan to do is have each badge hotwired to a key. On a keyboard, I could use 1, 2, 3, and 4, and on controllers I plan to use the d-pad. I hope to make everything intuitive so tutorials won't need to be a large part of the game experience. Also, I'm keeping secrets because if I expose every random generated room in the game, then there isn't much left for people to discover. I'm hoping that people will just explore blindly rather than spoil it for themselves.

It's the guy with the cool design shirt going to Tarot city, maybe!  I like the character right above too, who / what are they?   
Nope! That guy will be there already.
And I assume you are talking about the purple character? He's an alien that you will encounter during a quest with a spaceman that I detailed earlier on in this devlog.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll post more soon!

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 03:43:02 AM »

Some recent sprites for a roller skating place.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 08:49:03 PM »

Devlog 4
not too much to talk about...except an explanation of voodoo magic, lore, and plot stuff.
Ok let me rewind. Previously on my twitter I posted this skater dude.

So whats special?
He has a voodoo doll like Scout does. This aspect is something that I haven't touched on so far in this devlog, and I'm not going to say much, in keeping with my plan for maintaining Undertale-like secrecy!
But what do voodoo dolls do? And what do they have to do with anything?
So this is The Whispering Forest, where mystical stuff happens, and voodoo dolls are the largest and most powerful source of this mystical energy. Those with these voodoo dolls can channel it into powerful attacks and manifest it in abilities such as blasts, beams, or lasers. These voodoo dolls also can transfer their powers into items, like this skater and his Laser Skates. They can be powered by his voodoo doll and the lasers can burst out from his skates.

So what does Scout's voodoo doll do?
Well, he has a different way to control it. He uses it in a system that I am calling for right now the crappy dev name of Transfer system.
So what does this transfer system mean?
It means Scout can switch how he controls his voodoo magic.
He can keep it down, and go into an invulnerable state when he can't deal damage, but also can take as much as anyone can throw at him.
But he can also take that power, and force it into a powerful state of voodoo magic abilities where he can be injured, and he can't throw too many blasts before becoming depleted, and weakened.
But he wasn't chosen for this voodoo doll. It was forced upon him. By something that I will not reveal yet.
The fact that the voodoo doll is forced upon him means that it isn't easily controlled, however. It can be pushed out, and can force Scout into his powerful state. Which makes him vulnerable, and able to be hit and struck down. Scout is powerful, but he can't take that power for that long. He's a kid.
Power for Scout gives him those voodoo blasts I was talking about earlier.
He also has a cool transformation! It's this!

He looks down at the voodoo doll and then activates it, which consumes his arms in a blue blaze.

But how do voodoo dolls affect other people?
Well, if a non-voodoo user gets hit by a voodoo blast, it hurts. BAD. Like almost kills bad. But if a voodoo user and another voodoo user clash, they don't go down easy. Or I should say, they won't.
I have to still work on animations for the skater, but Scout's transformation is complete, or at least this form is.
Hehe.
So what else to say...
Well, the skater is still going to be a randomly generated encounter, but these encounters are necessary if you want to increase your power in order to make the big bad easier. Or you could go pacifist and never engage power unless forced. I plan to let people not attack characters if that's their choice. But, you have to choose between power, and pacifism. Your call.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 10:12:31 PM »

Finished that skater transformation. Here it is, in all of its snazzy glory.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 06:21:52 AM »

So here's a little announcement. I'm looking for a musician for the game.
If anyone would like to have a shot, they can pm me, and I'll send some more information.
Basically, for any musicians, I would like you to make a sample for the game.
The three sample choices I'm offering are below.
#1 Make a sample for any NPCs that I have showed so far. If more info is needed for the npc, pm me and I'll send it.
#2 Make a sample for the skater boss fight. Once again, pm me if more info is required.
#3 Make a title screen theme for the games opening. For a third time, pm if more info is needed
I'll take any samples, chiptunes or not. I really don't care, as long as it sounds good and fits the mystical feel of Scout And The Whispering Forest!
Cheers!  Coffee

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »

Making this post to say I'm locking down music sample pms now. Anyone who I've replied to, you're good, make your sample. I'm not taking any new ones, however.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »

Hey look I'm back, and I have a subreddit now. https://www.reddit.com/r/ScoutATWF/
Working on an intro post, but the main idea is questions that you don't want to pose here, go there. Fan Art? Go there. Want to suggest features or bug me for something? Go there.
 Shrug I've got to market!

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic