Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411665 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 07:12:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBattle Jump - Win/Mac/Linux
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Battle Jump - Win/Mac/Linux  (Read 1534 times)
leonsulivan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2009, 07:31:46 AM »

Hello everyone.

My name is Jérôme Baudoux, and I'm a French college student (master degree in software development) who like to make some projects during his off time.

I'm here to present you the project I'm working on for over a year.
It is a free 3D platform game for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

I guess it's time to start the presentation.

Battle Jump is a dexterity game in which you incarnate a character that can only move by making leaps.

You must bring your Jumper at the end of levels filled with traps. Your skills will be sorely tested, and your only goal will be to finish the level the faster you can.

The Gameplay is the main element of the game and differs slightly from other games. In most games, when you press a direction, it makes instantly move your character in that direction. If you release that direction your character stops.

In Battle Jump directional keys are used to tilt your character, which will move according to this angle. Because releasing a key does not change the angle, the character will continue to the exact speed it was before you release the direction.

You will need to perfectly control your character in order to avoid falling into a hole or a trap.

The game contains several levels with a progressive difficulty. If you think the first levels are too easy for you, don't worry, the last levels will be much complex.

It is also possible to create your own levels with the editor, or to download dozens of levels made by the community.

With its two-players mod in split screen, you can battle anyone in races where every mistake can be fatal.
Battle Jump allows you to send your scores to the website in order to compare them with the other players.

If you want to see more before downloading the game, you can watch the Trailer of the current version at this address : Battle Jump Trailer.

For Windows users :
I suggest you to download the Setup version, the zip file is lighter but it does not contains all the dependencies, download it only if you are certain to posses a recent version of Java JRE.

For Linux user :
You need to install all the dependencies before playing the game, if you are on Debian or Ubuntu this command should to it just fine : "sudo aptitude install libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev sun-java6-jre"

For Mac OS X users :
In order to prevent any bugs, please install Battle Jump int the Application Folder, it is highly recommended to verify that you java version is recent.
You need at least Leopard to run the game.

You can download the Battle Jump 0.9 version on this website

Do not hesitate to post on this subject to say what you think of the game

The game is made in an amateur way, and is completely free so feel free to download it.
If you like it you can recommend it to your friends in order to make it known.

PS : My apologies for my English Wink
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:43:02 PM by leonsulivan » Logged

Cokho
Level 3

I love anyone who read this !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »

Yey! Another French Developper! Do fear Swede!

Looks like a really nice game and polished one! But just a part I didn't get: You're are studying how to make game, or have you make this game aside from your studies?

Pardon my poor english T_T
leonsulivan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »

Hi Cokho, are you French too ?

You're right I told that i'm a college student but I didn't say if it was in game making.
Actually It's not, I'm currently in a Master Degree in softwares development (and development of distributed software), but not videos games.

So yes, I made Battle Jump totally aside from my studies.

I like making video games in my off time, but I don't really want to work in this area... can't say why.

gorgyme
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »

This is pretty fun, but equally very frustrating.

I quite like how you just restart the level after you lose, rather than having to redo the whole thing.

That said, the game gets very samey after the 'Normal' levels, and whilst the satisfaction of completing a level is enough to see you through for a while, eventually you crave something new and exciting and the game gets frustrating.

I don't know what you could add, but I think a bigger gap between the introduction of new tiles, and a few more tiles after that would be good to keep players interested enough to see it through to the final levels.
leonsulivan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »

That's the problem with this kind of game.

I tried to reduce this feeling a few month ago, so I added a ranking to motivate the payers (http://www.battlejump.com/scores-battle-jump.html)coupled with the possibility to beat the record on each level of the game. (You must be registered to do so, but it's totally free)

But that wasn't enough, so I added the possibility for every member to make their own levels and post them directly on the website. And it kind of worked, the members made around 80 levels so far.

In the previous version I added a two-player mode.

But I guess some new tiles would be a great idea to renew the game.
I have already some idea that would be fun Smiley so I really could add them in the next version.

RyanT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 09:17:48 PM »

This game reminded me of Monkey Ball, which was a favorite of mine.

Nice job.

http://www.terrortreehouse.com
A collection of science fiction short stories by Ryan Taylor.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic