Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 01:40:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRagdoll Fighting game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ragdoll Fighting game  (Read 3343 times)
Sallen
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:16:36 AM »

Mac: Ragdolls-test4-mac.zip
Windows: Ragdolls-test4-win.rar

Fight waves of enemies in this Ragdoll Masters kind of clone!

My intention is to realise all my wet dreams about what I would have done to Ragdoll Masters had it been open source. After a couple of years playing it I decided to embark on this project. Right now it is very similar to the original, but I want to include weapons, powerups, mutations?, and maybe special abilities of some sort (space-time manipulation thingies? Well, hello there!).

This is what it looks like right now:

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 03:43:39 PM by Sallen » Logged
Sallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:31:43 AM »

I have updated the post and added a Mac build.
LazyWaffle
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 05:59:49 PM »

Can you upload a video?
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 01:11:34 AM »

Is this going to be Mac-only or is there going to be a Windows/Linux build, too?
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 02:09:27 PM »

I second a windows build.
Sallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 03:45:19 PM »

Windows build is ready. I hope I will be able to post a video soon-ish. Don't be afraid of trying it for yourself in the meantime though.

Is this going to be Mac-only or is there going to be a Windows/Linux build, too?

I used SFML, so the code is completely portable to all platforms supported by the library. I will release a Linux build sooner or later, and the source code too, in time. For now I hope Windows and Mac OS is enough.

Oh, and it needs a name. Anyone? Smiley

Happy holidays to everyone! Beer!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 04:19:28 PM by Sallen » Logged
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »

This is pretty nice so far.

On the original version by default there's a lot more kickback when you hit something, though, where in this the body parts involved in the collision just seem to "snap" back without really affecting the momentum/trajectory of the rest of your body.  I think the original game had the amount of kickback as a setting.  Are you planning something similar?  The current body response feels a bit hacked in.

The physics feel a bit "floatier", too, but that's neither a good nor a bad thing; just an observation.
Sallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 04:33:13 AM »

Thanks! Yes, I think it would be a good idea to have as many tweakable parameters as possible. What is probably happening is that when a body part collides, it is not pushed back hard enough, and the momentum is lost pretty quickly. Or maybe the amount of momentum transfered along your body should be greater? I will definitely make that adjustable.

The physics feel a bit "floatier"
Indeed. This is probably caused by the total lack of gravity and the fact that your own body does not collide with itself. I don't know if I'm happy with the later. In fact, I'm having difficulties with collision checking. As you will have noticed, the body consists of particles and constraints that connect them. Particle-particle collisions are working nicely, but particle-constraint collisions (when a particle gets in between two other connected particles) use a very rough approximation. I will gladly welcome any programmer advice on this matter. Embarrassed

What do you mean by "hacked in"?
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »

It felt like the body part that was hit was just placed into a new position instead of actually using physics.  That's what I meant by "hacked in".  It seems from your description, though, that this isn't the case and it's just a matter of messing around with parameters.
Sallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 07:36:29 AM »

I used Verlet integration (speed is inferred from the difference between the actual position and the position in the last frame), so in a sense what you say is true. In order to accelerate particles I just move them, although it is physics. Before considering a major rewrite (not using Verlet integration), I will tweak some parameters and see if I can smooth that out.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic