Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 12:30:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNetworked battleships (first foray into sockets)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Networked battleships (first foray into sockets)  (Read 2131 times)
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »

First of all, if this does not belong here, let me know so I can ask a moderator to move it...

Anyway...

I've made a console, NETWORKED battleships game, which I'd like feedback on. you can play it against a friend online, on a lan, or by running both programs on a single computer and playing it hotseat style...

This isn't really a serious game, more of a way for me to learn more about sockets and winsock. I've tested it quite thoroughly but if you find any bugs please let me know.

Feedback would be appreciated!

Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wmvzthimmy4/NetworkedBattleships.zip

And some pictures:

Coke_can64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:16:09 AM »

Doesn't seem to like the XP comp I tried to network this with, something about application configuration not being correct. Lost the admin pass for the thing so couldn't test if it was admin only.

It also chucked a bit of a fit on Vista when either window closed half-way through a game (nothing major) and if you played on after the client closed, you'd win. Pretty neat actually.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:15:57 AM »

I dont *think* its admin only, usually when I see that error on xp computers It's because the microsoft c++ redistributable is not installed (it comes with visual c++).

The vista fit is something I'm aware of and trying to fix, but thanks for telling me about the server win thing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic