Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411665 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 06:32:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBackTrack
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BackTrack  (Read 1309 times)
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:28:20 AM »

Forum messed up image size, click to view full

A fetch quest with tons of backtracking!

Santa (not the one who has to pay huge taxes on a flying sleigh) is building a gun!
You need to fetch 16 items to help her. Less backtracking than Metal Gear Solid!

Made in Construct, graphics done in Paint.NET, character sprite made with an online RPG character maker because I suck at drawing, music made in LMMS.

Download

Please give feedback! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:43:00 AM by Dataflashsabot » Logged
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:32:20 AM »

i can't tell if this is supposed to be a parody of merry gear solid 2 but your font is borderline unreadable!!!

PlayMeTape
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 11:37:22 AM »

i can't tell if this is supposed to be a parody of merry gear solid 2 but your font is borderline unreadable!!!

I haven't tried either of the games but you sound a little egotistical Wink? I mean he/she (probably he) could be making fun of tons of games that include backtracking.
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »

oh right, let me ignore the part where the game is about christmas. and involves a lot of backtracking. also the words 'metal gear solid' are in the OP as well. WA WA WE WO.

if any of those three things weren't the case, THEN MAYBE you'd maybe have a point. a game that's a satire on backtracking wouldn't be about christmas.

Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »

It was inspired by an IRC conversation about backtracking, particularly Metal/Merry Gear Solid. Smiley (and yes, he)

Sorry about the font, didn't seem so bad to me :/

It's not really about Christmas, 'Santa' was inspired by the Santa in cave story.

I have had MGS on the brain of late, though, so it probably influenced it quite a bit.
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »

it's actually a lot easier to play without installing that font.

as i was saying earlier, what makes backtracking unbearable is the combination of

A) no progression

and

B) having to overcome the same obstacles

almost counterintuitively, if you were to, say, add more enemies to your backtracking path as the game progresses, the backtracking would be less bearable.

which is why for a game in which the backtracking is supposed to be as bad as i can be, i would suggest to add more obstacles (ESPECIALLY timed ones, i.e. a flame thrower that shoots a flame for 3 seconds and then doesn't for 3 seconds). remember those three bunnies that you kill at the beginning of the game? have them spawn each time.

the more inane obstacles you have to go through each time the better it is

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:31:34 PM »

You could even have fetch quests that you have to complete multiple times- for instance there is an old man who we have to pass 30 times (in the process of completing other fetch quests), and every time he requires that you fetch him a rabbit or he won't let us through Smiley .
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic