Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411659 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 01:14:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWalker & Silhouette - IF without the hard work
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Walker & Silhouette - IF without the hard work  (Read 2180 times)
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:49:50 PM »

Walker & Silhouette is an Interactive Fiction game that's playable solely using single word commands that are highlighted in the text.  In action it looks kind of like this:

Arguably the format favours something that's more story than game, but various scenes experiment in using the system for conversation, puzzle solving, investigating the environment and even a boss fight.

Feedback it up, TIGSoids
I've been working on Walker & Silhouette since about April, and it's already been through a few rounds of testing - but I can't shake the feeling that there's still a few bugs and mistakes in there, and I remembered how you guys managed to find a serious bug in Gun Mute, the last game I posted here, so...   Smiley

Although at this late point I'm not going to make any real changes to the game other than straightforward fixes, I am interested in doing more stuff in this style, probably with the same characters - so I'll be happy to hear any more general thoughts and criticisms you may have.

Download this thing:

http://cejpacian.googlepages.com/WalkerSilhouette.zip
http://www.box.net/shared/hmk76jo1p8

The game's playable on Windows, Mac and Linux.  The instructions in the zip should get you started (if they don't - tell me about it!  Tongue)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:53:56 PM by Pacian » Logged

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:04:19 PM »

I haven't played enough of it to give proper feedback yet, but I really like it so far. I loved the bit where Ivy makes excuses for not noticing the writing desk earlier.

EDIT: I found a minor glitch. In the scene where the squid grabs you, if you click on the memo canister in Ivy's inventory, then the game will think you are referring to the canister full of sea water.

EDIT 2: Finished, and I got all the awards! I'd definitely like to see more 'episodes' in this story if that's what you're thinking of doing. I think they could benefit from being a bit longer, though - this one didn't quite feel like a real 'investigation' story because it was over so quickly. Would be nice to have a little more freedom as well i.e. being able to travel between locations. But I understand that this might run counter to the 'guided' style of play that you're going for.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:51:41 PM by William Broom » Logged

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:25:46 AM »

EDIT: I found a minor glitch. In the scene where the squid grabs you, if you click on the memo canister in Ivy's inventory, then the game will think you are referring to the canister full of sea water.

Aha!  Yes, I'm afraid that's unavoidable at the moment due to the way my hacky keyword system breaks the TADS parser.  Ideally it should say, "Which canister do you mean..." etc.

EDIT 2: Finished, and I got all the awards! I'd definitely like to see more 'episodes' in this story if that's what you're thinking of doing. I think they could benefit from being a bit longer, though - this one didn't quite feel like a real 'investigation' story because it was over so quickly.

It doesn't help that half of the game is actually just introducing the characters - something which further episodes wouldn't need.  Having said that, I'm not much of a mystery writer.  I think I'm always going to focus on Nate and Ivy and crazy action scenes, because that's what I'm best at...

Would be nice to have a little more freedom as well i.e. being able to travel between locations. But I understand that this might run counter to the 'guided' style of play that you're going for.

It's certainly something that's been on the drawing board even for this one. I love exploration and setting in games - but at the same time I think my chief concern is always going to be not giving the player too much rope to hang themselves with.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:02:58 AM »

Aha!  Yes, I'm afraid that's unavoidable at the moment due to the way my hacky keyword system breaks the TADS parser.  Ideally it should say, "Which canister do you mean..." etc.
Heh, it did say that at one point: "Which canister do you mean, the canister or the canister?"

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:59:28 AM »

Why haven't more people played (okay, commented) this?
It's great so far, which is to be expected, so show some love people! Smiley

Last release: sync::routine
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »

It is great, however I tested it before release...I always feel like if I keep praising a game I tested after it's released the creator won't believe me.  Smiley

However Pacian has hinted there may be more games with these characters, so I'm looking forward to that!
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:15:46 AM »

Thanks, you two.

Yeah, quite a few TIGSourcers have already seen the game elsewhere, and I'm also quite confident by now that it can't be too broken.  Wink

And since the topic is alive again:

Heh, it did say that at one point: "Which canister do you mean, the canister or the canister?"

I've fixed this by removing the canister from Ivy's inventory at the end of the chapter it appears in, something I was already doing for another troublesome object.  I've added a credit for you in the manual, William.   Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 03:15:26 AM »

Oh my goodness, since December NINE? Thanks for the bumpitty, Jimbob. Would've hated to miss this. Downloading now, feedback later!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic