Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 12:17:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGameboy Zelda engine on BYOND
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gameboy Zelda engine on BYOND  (Read 1770 times)
Fugsnarf
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »

I've made a Zelda game engine using BYOND's Dream Maker which replicates the Gameboy Zelda games pretty accurately.

I'm here to get some feedback and see what other online communities think of it, since I find that most tend to talk down about BYOND. I think this engine really unlocks some of BYOND's true potential. It wasn't hard to make either!

I have some screenshots for you all:

Here's me bumping into a tree.

Here's me slashing a bush.

You can slash your sword with F. You can also lower the frames per second via the FPS tab on the top menu. Only use this if your game crashes at the default.

Window size is also editable not only by dragging the screen to be larger or maximizing, but also by x1 to x4 screensize for perfect picture, as well as a fullscreen option.

The game can be downloaded here: http://www.byond.com/games/Fugsnarf/ZeldaLinksAwakeningPixelMovement

You can also download the latest BYOND version here: http://www.byond.com/download/

Thanks for your comments and feedback!
RyanT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »

Looks interesting, keep us updated!

http://www.terrortreehouse.com
A collection of science fiction short stories by Ryan Taylor.
alspal
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:19:52 AM »

Some of the flaws:

When pushing against an object on your left and then you press left and up then he'll stop pushing.

When moving left/right and then you hold down/up, it should keep the left/right walking animation intact.

Collision detection should be 2 pixels larger at the bottom and 2 at the top, when you're standing above an object you can walk 2 pixels into it and when your beneath an object you move 2 pixels too far into it.

Diagonal movement should be a little bit slower.

You should be able to "drift" past the corners of objects when you bump into them. And you shouldn't be able to 'push' on the corners either.

Your scrolling transition isn't as smooth.

When swinging the sword, you can cut too many bushes in a normal swipe (noticed when facing right and swinging next to 3 bushes), you should only be able to hit 1 object at time (the object in the closest tile to your sword).
Fugsnarf
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:40:05 PM »

Thanks for playing!

A response to your appreciated critique:

When I first made the engine, I didn't keep in mind the fact that Link actually does keep pushing on an object when he moves along it+pushing it in front of him. I didn't think it was a huge deal really, so I just kept it that way.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bottom detection being 2 pixels larger. I made the bottom detection 16 pixels in so that your head goes into the object a bit and it actually looks realistic, that was also copying the games. If you could elaborate on what you mean, it'd be appreciated.

You're correct, diagonal movement should be slower. I will work on doing that.

Please explain what you mean by "drift".

Perhaps you're right about the screen transition. I'll see if I can make it smoother.

Originally, only up until the last update I made, bush slashing had a far lower range of sword detection. People were complaining about that though, so I made it the same as enemies would be. If the sword sprite goes over it, it gets hit.
Fugsnarf
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 02:41:45 PM »

Looks interesting, keep us updated!

Will do! I might just move away from this though and start a Devlog.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic