Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 12:06:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLoneliness
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Loneliness  (Read 1717 times)
Cesque
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:02:02 AM »

The only other living person in the town - you have to kill.

All the others are dead - because you already killed them.

Warning: Disturbing. And cheesy. And disturbing.

DOWNLOAD LONELINESS.

Hey tiggers. Loneliness is a short 3d game (mainly my attempt to check out GM's 3d functions). I guess you could call it an experimental narrative-based exploration game, but that's a bit of a stretch. Took me just 3 days to do, but according to some people's opinions it's genuinely disturbing, so I thought it might be interesting.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:07:58 AM by Cesque » Logged
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 03:07:14 AM »

Felt more psychotic than lonely. Smiley

The camera/mousemove was a bit off - stop moving the mouse but the camera stopped a little later.

Looks like you have a promising engine, though.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:54:05 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

I've been experimenting recently with 3D GM as well, and I was wondering why your camera movement is so strange.  When I turn to the left, the camera will continue turning after I stopped moving my mouse.  I was just curious what you did, it's a neat effect.

Also... thought about doing something with your wall collisions?  They are pretty bizarre.

-PENCERKOFF

Cesque
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »

Ack, I was pretty proud of my collision systems - for the protagonist, at least. Tongue What's bizarre about them? You generally keep moving towards the point of view, so obviously if you bump into a corner you won't get anywhere. Also, the lanterns have a circular collision box larger than their actual size, so they may feel a bit weird.

As for the camera movement - get the width/height of the screen, calculate the distance between the centre and the mouse position, change direction appropriately, set the mouse point closer towards the new point of view. This causes a decreasing 'delay' in stopping the mouse movement, but also has some downsides, ie. when you try looking infinitely high/down, or in that you can't really get the mouse cursor outside in the game window (when eg. another window appears over the game).

starsrift: Thanks. It was a bit experimental (like the game itself) Tongue
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:09:06 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

You don't go back to center?  That's strange.  Seems like that would be hard, aren't mouse positions integers?

When I collided with a fence, the one you start next to, my person traveled very fast in a direction tangent to the wall, so I went flying alongside the wall, at speeds faster than I could walk (I think).  After that I never bothered touching a wall, so maybe it's just that one?  I'd find it hard to believe it's my computer.

-PENCERKOFF

Cesque
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »

That's weird :| There are some Doom-esque bizarrities resulting from the walking/collision system (ie. strafing and running at the same time is faster than just going forward), but that sounds odd - collision just alters your direction, then again, that could happen if you held two keys at the same time.

The walls are your friends! Hug them! Sad
mluongo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »

Was it supposed to crash after I started bleeding? Pretty short demonstration, if so.

I think you have the atmosphere down pretty well. And I thought the graphic of the other man was good. I wasn't put off by the movement too much - I think I might've missed a walkway I wanted to move through one time, but it was fine.

Walking through the first building I thought it'd be great if it were populated by tables and seats and such.

With a much more fleshed out story this could be an interesting little project.

Sallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »

Great atmosphere, nice idea, but it is too short! I would love to see it developed further. Maybe someday?.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic